PDA

View Full Version : Could these plecos work in a 55g tank?

><))>WBW<((><
06-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Could a Baryancistrus demantoides and a Hemiancistrus sabaji be kept together in a 55 gallon tank. Their are two pieces of driftwood(one on either side of the tank), the tank will be lightly planted and I have a sand substrate. My L200 has already claimed one of the driftwood pieces. Their will likely be school of b. splendens as well(if that effects either of the plecos at all)

talldutchie
06-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Hemis are usually gentle giants. sbaji should fit in that profile. If you got the room and the hiding places then it should work. One thing to note, H. sabaji is listed as growing to 10 inches, seems a bit tight in a 55.

Longshot
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Betta Splendens, if more than one are kept, should be all female - especially if you are going to keep a larger bunch (more than 2). Males will fight to death and they also may harrass the females. Sorry it isnt Pleco info, but I noticed it in your post.

Stlouisfish
06-03-2013, 12:35 PM
+1 with talldutchie - all plecos should be researched for potential size before adding to a tank. My LFS carries many different types of them I would love to have but my tank probably wouldn't be good unless a fish got to no bigger than 4-5" tops - you don't want fish feeling cramped...which could lead to aggression.

><))>WBW<((><
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I actually meant brochis splendens as in the cory relative, and from what I found most people say there sabaji only got to 6 or 7 inches.

Longshot
06-03-2013, 01:44 PM
lol, my bad! I stand corrected.

talldutchie
06-03-2013, 07:14 PM
I actually meant brochis splendens as in the cory relative, and from what I found most people say there sabaji only got to 6 or 7 inches.

Fishbase has it listed as 8 inches, planetcat as a bit more. To me those are more reliable sources than "most people".

If you want a second medium sized pleco why not another green monster and one of the opposite sex?