PDA

View Full Version : Need clown pleco advice

Psyfly
05-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I have a 29 gal. aquarium that's about 2 months old. Heavily planted with amazon sword, val, moneywort, and anacharis. Also have hygro. Recently I noticed that the hygro leaves are scraped down to the skeleton of the leaf structure. I suspect the clown pleco.
I'm wondering if the clown is hungry, or is it normal for him to eat the plants?

I use finely crushed Tetramin for food, and expected the pleco to eat that also. He has a petrified wood log to live under, and likes to clean it at times.

He's a cute fish, and I hate to get rid of him. Any advice to help him coexist with the planted aquarium?

Cliff
05-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Have you tried feeding him veggies ?

Strider199
05-25-2013, 10:55 PM
+1 to the above post. Sliced zucchini or cucumber blanched work well.

mommy1
05-26-2013, 01:51 AM
A clown pleco would appreciate some kind of meaty foods in addition to the veggies. Do you have any other type of driftwood in the tank other than the petrified wood, they need to rasp on driftwood as part of their regular diet as well.

talldutchie
05-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I use finely crushed Tetramin for food, and expected the pleco to eat that also. He has a petrified wood log to live under, and likes to clean it at times.

He's a cute fish, and I hate to get rid of him. Any advice to help him coexist with the planted aquarium?

Apart from doing extremely basic research like what does that fish eat that you just bought? No, not really.

Clown pleco is usually a kind of Panaqolus. That's one of the few species of fish that really NEEDS a piece of real wood. Apart from that it's mostly vegetarian. Starving fish like this are capable of scraping your plants. Feed it and it should stop doing that. Take some cucumber, zuccini, yam or egg plant, blanch it for a minute or two, weigh it down with a fork and leave it for 24 hours.

Rocksor
05-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Mopani driftwood and malaysian driftwood would do the pleco well. I suspect that's what mine ate mostly for 10 years before I sold him, even with the algae wafers in the tank. I rarely saw it, maybe once a year.

talldutchie
05-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I think not. Wood has almost no nutritional content. What these fish tend to eat is what grows on wood. They do use wood like rabbits and horses use hay, as an important source of fiber to keep their bowels moving. And just like these species, a lack of roughage can mean a rather painful and lingering death.

kim92
05-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Give it some veggies and driftwood,not petrified wood, and it should start to leave your plants alone. Feed it veggies after the lights are off for the night, 2 or 3 times a week, then remove in the morning. Other than that, they are very easy to keep. You probably won't see it much. They like to hide, and come out when it is dark.