PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Calgary, AB

Bruno72
05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

Been reading here the last few days and loving the wealth of info, so thought I should introduce myself.

New to the hobby as of the end of March. My 8 year old son wanted fish so I went to the LFS and picked up a kit for him as a gift and got some advice from the staff there on setting it up. Unfortunately that led to a fish in cycle which we are working thru with almost daily 50% PWC.

Not long after starting the 20 gallon kit up we were offered and accepted a 37 gallon tank so that one is also cycling right now, fish less this time. And based on the info from this site as well as others I decided we should also have a QT/hospital tank, so I have another 20 gallon tank cycling in the garage for that purpose.

So what started as a gift for my son has become a new hobby for me. I am already planning a 75 gallon in my head, and the resistance from my wife is wearing :hmm3grin2orange:

fishmommie
05-25-2013, 02:40 PM
LOL and Welcome. You've got a bad case of mts (multiple tank syndrome) already. You'll fit right in here :o)

Just a note on your QT. If you continuously run an extra filter adequate for the 20 gal on your 37 gal, then you will always have a seeded filter that you can move to the 20 QT when you need it. That way you don't have to have the 20 gal up and running all the time. Just fill it when you get new fish or have a sick fish and move the extra filter over. An additional filter on the 37 won't hurt a thing.

steeler58
05-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum my friend.

Triton
05-25-2013, 03:15 PM
LOL and Welcome. You've got a bad case of mts (multiple tank syndrome) already. You'll fit right in here :o)

Just a note on your QT. If you continuously run an extra filter adequate for the 20 gal on your 37 gal, then you will always have a seeded filter that you can move to the 20 QT when you need it. That way you don't have to have the 20 gal up and running all the time. Just fill it when you get new fish or have a sick fish and move the extra filter over. An additional filter on the 37 won't hurt a thing.

FM - question regarding that tho.... when you are done with the QT, is it safe to put it back onto your main tank? That is one question I always think about but haven't heard either way

fishmommie
05-25-2013, 04:54 PM
FM - question regarding that tho.... when you are done with the QT, is it safe to put it back onto your main tank? That is one question I always think about but haven't heard either way
I never take chances. If I've used that extra filter for a QT or hospital Tank, I clean it with 10% bleach and 90% water solution, then soak the media and filter (without the motor) in dechlorinated water, let it dry out and then add it back to the main tank to reseed.
Another way to do it would be to keep 2 extra filters. One constantly running on the main tank and one for the QT then when you need the QT, just move the media from the main tank to the QT. When you're done with the QT then all you have to do is disinfect the media, then pop it back in the filter in the main tank so it will seed again
Some people also run extra media in their main filter then pop it in the QT filter when they need it. Lots of options.

Crispy
05-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the forum! good advice above.

Cliff
05-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the forum from Saskatoon

Cyberra
05-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the community from Atlantic Canada

madagascariensis
05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the forum from another calgarian.
Keep in mind that filter media is transferable and once you have one cycled tank you can just transfer some filter sponges instead of cycling every new tank.

Bruno72
05-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome. As for the QT tank my plan is to have a AC 50 in it and a AC 70 in the main tank. I will not usually I run the QT but instead keep a small bag of biomax for the 50 in the main tank ready to transfer to the QT when needed in addition to the larger bag of biomax that will stay in the 70. Right now I am cycling both though as I will be wanting the QT ready to take a bigger load when the main is ready.

gadget228
05-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Stlouisfish
05-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the forum!

fishmommie
05-26-2013, 01:43 PM
sounds like you've got a great plan!