PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on using native aquatic plants?

Longshot
05-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I was thinking of raiding the small pond behind my friends house for some plants and soaking them in dechlorinated water with 20ml/10gallons solution of Flourish excel to rid the plants of algae and funk. I also plan on some low light plants such as java fern and moss, hornwort, dwarf anubias and wendtii in my 150 gallon. For lighting I have a 36" dual light t5 ho fixture with 2 x 6700K bulbs (39 watts each), good for 1.9 watts/ gallon. Water depth of 24". I'm not sure what kind of plants the natives are- one is a fully aquatic grass, one looks kind of like cabomba and I want to use some lilly pad looking things. As always thoughts and comments are appreciated.
BTW- I was thinking of getting some shallow plastic containers, filling it with black diamond sand, putting the plants in them and burying the whole deal under my gravel (?).

madagascariensis
05-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Whatever plants they are, they will need a very thorough quarantine, especially if the pond has fish in it. Some native aquatic plants adapt to higher aquarium temperatures, others tend to burn themselves out, so be prepared for some of your selected species to not make it.

kim92
05-25-2013, 10:22 PM
If you can get some pics of the plants you are wanting to use it would be easier to let you know if they will work.

You should dip them in a bleach bath before adding them to your tank. This will get rid of anything that may harm anything that is already in your tank. Use 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Dip the plants in this solution for 30 seconds or so. Some plants will have no problems with doing this. Some will not make it.

A potassium permanganate dip would also work, and would be safer on the plants. It is not as cheap as bleaching them though. You can find it here. http://www.chemistrystore.com/Potassium_Permanganate-Potassium_Permanganate_2lbs.html

Longshot
05-29-2013, 06:04 PM
I collected a fist full of plants and gave them a bleach bath as directed, except I waited about 1 minute then I rinsed them really well and put them in a bucket full of de-chlorinated water where they have been for the past few days now. I added the cat tail and a small bunch of water grass to my overhead 20 gallon tank and they seem to be doing well so far, the cat tail has straightened up tall and is still green, the grass is doing well too. I need to buy some substrate now to plant the rest of the natives in and we will see how they do. The water temp is up to my usual 80F. I will try to take some pics of the plants, but the ones that are all frilly bunch up when out of water.

Stlouisfish
05-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Hope it works! Nice getting free plants if they survive.

Longshot
05-29-2013, 06:24 PM
It is indeed! the up side is that if they croak- I haven't lost anything but a bit of effort. I've been asking everyone that insists on buying me stuff for my birthday to get me some low light plants so that I can get on with making my 150 gallon an aquatic eden for my fish. I just need to figure out how to introduce the plants and substrate to a full aquarium without making a mess, lol. Time to do some reading around on here.