PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to the invisible force

Big Blue
05-25-2013, 12:34 AM
:11:

Don't these little emoticons look like bacteria in the collective imagination?

Well, hello!

I am a firm believer that every solution is provided by nature. I am particularly interested in using microbes (natural ones, not reengineered) for natural cleansing application, in soil and water.

I have often come to AF during my research (some people's issues with water quality ...) and thought that it's time to give back. I don't know if I will be able to be a regular, but will try my best and I hope to offer new perspectives on how one can build a thriving water ecosystem without the use of synthetic chemicals and avoid resulting to water change to alleviate their troubled aquariums.

I'll probably be asking many questions and still, don't even know why I am asking them (sorry).

I have two salt water 10g aquariums i am running my trials and tests on. I had two casualties in the process (:grayalien:), a crab and a green chromis (more on this if you ask), but completely unintentional and more as a result of attempting to find the right equilibrium between food and diatoms and microbes and (bla bla bla).

Anyway, I have started a 75g FW that will host discuss.

Have a nice weekend.

JudiJetson
05-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Welcome Big Blue!

steeler58
05-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the forum, Big Blue and fellow Californian. Go A's....?

mommy1
05-25-2013, 12:41 AM
:wavingyellow: Hello and welcome. Keep in mind, even nature does water changes on its bodies of water with rain, tides, and currents.

Cyberra
05-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Welcome to the community

gadget228
05-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Big Blue
05-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Thank you ... I still have a hard time with baseball, but I must admit that I could not leave my sit when the Giants won the 2010 WS. Oakland teams have always been a bit of a mystery to me. They seem to always let go their best talents ...

Big Blue
05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
:wavingyellow: Hello and welcome. Keep in mind, even nature does water changes on its bodies of water with rain, tides, and currents.

Well, yes and no. I mean it is always the same body of water, its composition might be altered by environmental factors, but it is essentially the same. What nature does is host a complex, resilient multi-functional ecosystem that consists of organisms that subsist thanks to a multi-level mutualistic relationship called symbiosis. Such is the case of bacteria, fungi, enzymes and crustaceans in water and insects on land. You can replicate the movement of tides and currents in your aquarium and yet still have to perform water change. :wavegreen: