PDA

View Full Version : A Rockstar has landed!

Isivaa Sanaru
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Okay,

That was just to get your attention. Although I AM a musician I'm certainly not on that level yet...

My name is Isivaa Sanaru (Isi) and I'm enjoying my Aquarium with 2 Ocadia Sinensis (or Chinese Stripe-Necked Turtles) and about 50-60 Neon Tetras very much right now. I could always use some advice though, since I'm just starting out. I have like a 40 gallon tank or something filled HALF with water and partly land area for my turtles to dry and bask. I have a filter and a pump (all-in-one), no idea which brand, but my tank looks nice and clean so far and I was told it was big enough lol. I also have like 10 live plants (about 4 different species) in there along with some gravel.

I live in Taipei, Taiwan - sadly they don't really care about anything that isn't human (they barely care about humans either) and they don't have the best reputation when it comes to treating animals. It IS improving, but it's still far from Europe's or America's standards (I guess). With that said, I really like animals and have done so for my whole life.

My main issues are though these:
1) What do I (if anything) lack for my tank to keep my Neon Tetras alive and happy? They aren't JUST feeder fish... My turtles can't even catch them. What temperature do they require? I currently have like 30 degrees (85 Fahrenheit) in the water, which I believe is a bit hot. But so far I haven't found a decent way of cooling it down. Any advice here?
2) As I have plenty of plants and gravel, do I need to feed my Neon Tetras or will they find food on their own? If yes, what type of food should I get them? Preferably something that isn't poisonous to my turtles.
3) Do I GOT to get a CO2 Source now or can that wait?

All advice and replies are much appreciated! Looking forward to learn a lot from my time spent on this forum! Thanks!

Triton
05-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, here is my take.

Really the neons should have there own tank, I'm sure the turtles stress them, and if tank is only half full there isn't a ton of room for them.

but I do understand working with what you have, so lets start there.
1. To keep them alive and happy, make sure you are doing regular water changes, have a good filter (specially with the turtles), lots of plants for them to hide in, around 78-80* F. If you have more water in the tank, try leaving the lid open during the day (if its not too hot out should cool the water, also if its hot out, keep tank out of direct light and leave aquarium lights off during the day, turn on at night instead)
2. Feed them a quality flake food, they can't just fend for themselves in a closed environment, as much as we try to duplicate a natural environment, there is only so much we can do
3. You do not need a CO2 source, unless you have high CO2 plants, which I wouldn't recommend anyway

Hopefully that is a start, many people will say get another tank for the turtles or fish (I agree) but for now make these corrections while you look for another set up for them.

steeler58
05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Welcome aboard Rockstar :22:.

Goes to 11!
05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the forum :11:

I have like a 40 gallon tank or something
First things first, What are it's dimensions?
:22:

talldutchie
05-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Okay,

My main issues are though these:
1) What do I (if anything) lack for my tank to keep my Neon Tetras alive and happy? They aren't JUST feeder fish... My turtles can't even catch them. What temperature do they require? I currently have like 30 degrees (85 Fahrenheit) in the water, which I believe is a bit hot. But so far I haven't found a decent way of cooling it down. Any advice here?
2) As I have plenty of plants and gravel, do I need to feed my Neon Tetras or will they find food on their own? If yes, what type of food should I get them? Preferably something that isn't poisonous to my turtles.
3) Do I GOT to get a CO2 Source now or can that wait?

All advice and replies are much appreciated! Looking forward to learn a lot from my time spent on this forum! Thanks!

1. A fan maybe. Turtles tend to put out a lot of waste which will make it difficult for you to provide the clean water neons like.
2. You do need to feed them. Neons are easy to feed. Any decent quality flake will do nicely.
3. You only need to get a co2 source if you really want to boost plant growth. Have a look at my setup. Only co2 I add to that is 2ml of "liquid co2 per day"

Cyberra
05-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the community

Isivaa Sanaru
05-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the forum, here is my take.

Really the neons should have there own tank, I'm sure the turtles stress them, and if tank is only half full there isn't a ton of room for them.

but I do understand working with what you have, so lets start there.
1. To keep them alive and happy, make sure you are doing regular water changes, have a good filter (specially with the turtles), lots of plants for them to hide in, around 78-80* F. If you have more water in the tank, try leaving the lid open during the day (if its not too hot out should cool the water, also if its hot out, keep tank out of direct light and leave aquarium lights off during the day, turn on at night instead)
2. Feed them a quality flake food, they can't just fend for themselves in a closed environment, as much as we try to duplicate a natural environment, there is only so much we can do
3. You do not need a CO2 source, unless you have high CO2 plants, which I wouldn't recommend anyway

Hopefully that is a start, many people will say get another tank for the turtles or fish (I agree) but for now make these corrections while you look for another set up for them.

Thanks alot for the advice Hardy! I do regular water changes I believe (approx. 2 times a week?) and my water looks really clean and nice. I know the ideal environment would be without my turtles but there's just no way I can get another tank at the moment, I do want to create a habitat that makes them all live together (means big enough tank) though.

I live in Asia, it's like 30 degrees in my room - which means 30 degrees (86 F) in the water... I can't find a way to cool it down. I've tried to constantly renew the water with colder water but within an hour it's up again. Guess this is my biggest problem.

I'll get them some flake food though, gonna buy that today. Thanks!

Isivaa Sanaru
05-23-2013, 06:40 AM
1. A fan maybe. Turtles tend to put out a lot of waste which will make it difficult for you to provide the clean water neons like.
2. You do need to feed them. Neons are easy to feed. Any decent quality flake will do nicely.
3. You only need to get a co2 source if you really want to boost plant growth. Have a look at my setup. Only co2 I add to that is 2ml of "liquid co2 per day"

Thanks, I'll look into a fan as well as your setup :22:

Isivaa Sanaru
05-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the forum :11:

First things first, What are it's dimensions?
:22:

The dimensions are like 50cm (length), 30cm (width) and 40cm (height)

gadget228
05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

talldutchie
05-24-2013, 07:11 PM

The dimensions are like 50cm (length), 30cm (width) and 40cm (height)

I know you're Asian and they do things differently there but... Your tank is 60 litre or 16 US gallon.That's about enough water for a dozen neons. Not 50-60 AND 2 turtles!!

Isivaa Sanaru
05-27-2013, 06:39 AM
I know you're Asian and they do things differently there but... Your tank is 60 litre or 16 US gallon.That's about enough water for a dozen neons. Not 50-60 AND 2 turtles!!

Well, that sucks... That's the problem here in Asia, they don't TELL you anything. I asked at the shop "What size does my tank need to be to hold about 50 Neons?" And they answered "It's not that picky, you can have the fish in your tank." To be honest I don't think she knew...

So what should I do now, except for the obvious (buying a bigger tank)? Can I do something to make them feeling more comfortable? Split them up or add more plants/caves?

The point is that I can't afford a bigger tank yet... So if I can do anything meanwhile to correct a few of my mistakes I would be happy to do so!

Sligg
05-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Any chance of the fish store taking some back? Or do you know anyone who might re-home a few?

Isivaa Sanaru
05-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Any chance of the fish store taking some back? Or do you know anyone who might re-home a few?

To be honest, no. They're not that friendly here and they really don't care whether the fish live or die. I mean, it's like a street full with Aquarium stores and the competition is insane, they just want to make their living...
I don't have a second tank and I don't know anyone else doing this hobby (since I haven't lived here for too long.)

I feel quite disappointed, I bought the BIGGEST tank I could find in the store and it's still not even 20 gallons?... I was kinda expecting it to be at least 40 gallons. I know this is gonna sound weird, but I asked the store manager how many gallons the tank were, since I had been reading online about measurements and it all said gallons. He said it was 50 gallons, and since I thought it was at least 40, I believed him.

They honestly do everything they can to trick you here, it's not only in this business but in all kinds of business. If they see that you don't really understand what's happening, they're gonna take advantage of that!

How many gallons do I need for my (obviously) insane amount of Neons?

talldutchie
05-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Gallons, liters, whatever you feel works. I'd be looking for something about a meter wide, say 30-40 gallons at least. Keep the current tank for the turtles.

Isivaa Sanaru
05-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Gallons, liters, whatever you feel works. I'd be looking for something about a meter wide, say 30-40 gallons at least. Keep the current tank for the turtles.
Thanks for helping out, I'll try to get something like that as soon as I can.

But a tank that big, I would need something special to put it on right? It would probably crush right through the small table I'm keeping this one on...

talldutchie
05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Water weighs 1kg/liter. A tank that size will weigh 20kg empty.

Isivaa Sanaru
06-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Water weighs 1kg/liter. A tank that size will weigh 20kg empty.

I actually managed to give away a lot of my Neons few days ago! I now only have about 14 left - I guess I could keep my current aquarium for a while now?