PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up tank

00mikey03
05-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have been planning to stock a 10 gallon tank. I have been reading up about the fishless cycle... of course right after I got 6 neon tetras and a cory catfish. I also recently read that cories like to be in groups so I will hopefully get some more. So anyway, my tank was filled with 6(Petco) neons, one goldfish (had her for 6 years and she's a fair goldfish:19:) and one cory. I also realized after I bought the neons and cory that the goldfish is a cold water and tetras are tropicals. Anyway one day later, I had 0 tetras but, my goldfish and cory are fine. I have a feeling my goldfish is going to pass away soon as she is not swimming as well as normal(she's been swimming like this for a while). So I have been developing plans for a new tank. Sorry for the long intro. I don't know how many of each fish I should get but here's my list: Scarlet Gem Badis(s), Zebra Danio(s), Amano shrimp(s), and dwarf gourami(s). Will all these fish be compatible and would I be overstocked. Thanks, Michael

mizzoutank
05-20-2013, 03:40 AM
way way way overstocked.

you are already overstocked and don't have a cycled tank.
which is probably the ailment for your goldfish currently. and probably why all 6 neons died.

what is your filtration?
water parameters? ammonia,nitrite,nitrate.
test kit?

00mikey03
05-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Thank you for your answer. I noticed when my neons died that they got sucked onto the guard for my filter(I actually saw this happen). I have a Fluvial Aqua 30. My water parameters are GH:180, KH 140, PH 7.0, NO2:0 and NO3:0. These might not be exact since I am using test strips. Michael

mizzoutank
05-20-2013, 04:21 AM
the filter is good for that tank.

however, your water parameters are not
you aren't cycled
and those test strips are really unreliable. get yourself the api master test kit.
it may look more expensive, but it lasts you 2 years.

to be safe, since we don't know your ammonia, do a 50% water change.
also, return the cory catfish-only pygmy (dwarf) species can live properly in a tank that small.
lastly, find the goldfish a pond to live in.

then you'll have an empty tank, correct water test kit, and can do that fishless cycle you've been reading about

00mikey03
05-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Ok thank you so much. I just did a 50% water change yesterday, but can do another one. I forgot to say the Cory is a Dwarf Albino Catfish. thumbs2:
Thanks Again, Michael

Goes to 11!
05-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Yes ... Dead fish do end up stuck to the filter...

Scarlet Gem Badis(s), Zebra Danio(s), Amano shrimp(s), and dwarf gourami(s). Will all these fish be compatible and would I be overstocked.
Way way over stocked. but first lets get this out of the way:

I have a hard time imagining you have 0 'TrAtes in a 10g tank w a GF so make an API frestwater master test kit your next investment.

Your stock list needs some serious tweaking because danios are far Far FAR too active of a fish to be in a 10G tank and generally MULTIPLE dwarf gourami are out due to their territorial aggression [While there are exceptions I still think 10G is too small but I don't keep gourami so someone else can fill you in.]

I understand the dario can be finicky eaters [They prefer live foods and are easily out-competed for food] and you may want to look at other options.
:22:

00mikey03
05-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Ok, thanks my next investment will be the API Test Kit. :c3:

Vreugy
05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the AC. You can't go wrong with the info in here. They are right about the API test kits too. Best on the market.

Triton
05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
ok, few tips on FUTURE stock:

after you cycle the tank this is what I think might work well

(1) dwarf gourami (cannot do more than 1, they will kill each other)
a small school of cory habroseus (the "dwarf" catfish that petco sells will still get 3-4" vs the habroseus max is liek 1")

That would be a good stock for a 10g, you could also do a betta happily in that tank with a few other fish. But I would say 1 centerpiece fish and a small school of micro fish to go with it.

In my 10g I have a school of Boraras brigittae and I love them