PDA

View Full Version : How To: Make better posts

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2007, 05:33 PM
It would help greatly and move things along better in the threads if more information was given to us in your first post. Tank size and what filteration you are using is very helpful to give you proper answers. You may have told us a couple days ago but when we talk to 30 or 40 people each day, we will probably forget.

Some of us have our tank sizes listed in our signatures but we still need to know which tank you are referring to.

When wanting to know what fish can go together, it would also help to check the compatiblity sites first before posing your questions. And very helpful to research fish prior to buying them so you don't end up with bala sharks, an Oscar, common pleco's and Black Ghost Knife fish when you have a 20 gallon tank.

:help:

You'll also learn which cichlids do not belong together and what community fish do.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/000tropfishcareguides.htm (http://www.elmersaquarium.com/000tropfishcareguides.htm)

http://www.timstropicals.com/Compati...litySearch.asp (http://www.timstropicals.com/Compati...litySearch.asp)

There are other compatiblity sites on line, as well, that can clear up many of your questions as to what pH is needed, what size the different fish reach in maturity and what can not be together. There's a lot of good information on different species right here in the left hand menu as well as a nice e-book that can be downloaded and read or even printed.

Reading is knowledge! Do research on your own and many of your questions will be answered for you. What questions then remain, post them here and we are here to help.

This is a great forum with many, many helpful people but doing your own research can do nothing but help you learn more about your fish.

Do research. Check the charts to see what goes with what.

Read the stickies here so you know how the forum works, how to get points for your posts and what you can do with them, how to get awards, how to post pictures, how to give rep points and how to enter the photo contests.

The stickies are here for a reason. Please read them!

digital3
10-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I concur. When I had a problem with ick last month. I didn't even have to post a question. The same goes for my cycle and other info I've been able to pull from here. I was able to find my answers using a combination of Google and searching through the valuable information in this forum.

I figure with all of this great info, the least I can do to repay everybody's good advice is to contribute whenever I can myself.

As Hobbs said, it just takes a little research. :ezpi_wink1:

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2007, 06:10 PM
And then they change User Names and we're supposed to know who they are.
LOL

MeganL3985
10-27-2007, 07:28 PM
LOL

Oh yeah...thats drivin me nuts right now. Its like as soon as ya get used to a persons name then they go and change it on ya. I'm not all that quick when it comes to picking stuff up anyway......lol....booo on the name changes. hehe :laugh1blue:

tropfish
10-27-2007, 07:42 PM
good sticky hobbs! it does get annoying to hahe to ask tank size filtration and stats over and over again lol

IRONHEAD
10-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Uh oh, I just changed my user name. But I've only been here afew days and I promise I won't change it again. My old name is in my sig.

spudbuds
10-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Uh oh, I just changed my user name. But I've only been here afew days and I promise I won't change it again. My old name is in my sig.
Me too, but I too promise I won't change it again.

Munko
10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the sticky with lots of great information all pulled together!

I would say though that in terms of compatibility it is sometimes nice to be able to ask the seasoned veterans because they know from experience - ie. sometimes those charts say that things can't go together that others might have different opinions or insight into. I always like to be able to collect all the info I can, including hearing other's opinions on it so that I don't go out and do the wrong thing or deny myself a combo that I don't need to!

So hopefully my posts like that don't annoy people too much .....
* sheepish grin *

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 04:37 AM
I agree Munko and that's what this forum is for. But just some general reading first and then asking questions second can be helpful, as well, so the same questions don't come up over and over again.

If a person happens to look up bala sharks and sees the size they will get, they won't have to write a post that asks: "Can I put a bala in my 20 gallon tank?" Or......"guess what? I just bought an Oscar for my 5 gallon." LOL

The stickies answer a number of questions regarding points, how to post pictures, etc, and all we want is for people to read them.

cocoa_pleco
10-28-2007, 05:18 AM
i hate it when people dont give tank stats.

one time on another forum, someone PM'd me about oscars, this is back in 2004 when i bred oscars for profit.

they asked me if they could put a ID shark with their 2 oscars, i figured fair enough and asked for their tank size.

they had a 10g with 2 small oscars and wanted a ID cat! that requires a above 300g tank for them all fullgrown!

A340
10-28-2007, 06:29 AM
LOL
Now, who would do a silly thing like that? :14:

Perhaps, maybe if we had a limit to only allow changing your username once or twice?

BTW, I won't change mine again ..... promise ;)

Also, I agree with the above posts that it would be very helpful to post some basic tank info when asking for help. But I've also noticed that many people who post threads on why their tank is doing this or why their fish died are first time posters and are into much of a hurry to even bother reading a sticky. None the less, a sticky would be a good idea. Better yet, maybe there is a way to pass this information on while a new member is signing up for an account?

S13DWS
10-28-2007, 06:59 PM
nice sticky Hobbsy wobbsy!!!

Good to see how it should be done :D:D