PDA

View Full Version : 15 gal planted betta/neon tank

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fishmommie
05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I’ve had my 5 gal betta tank for well over a year. It contains a blue and red crown tail betta (Raylan) and 6 neons. I know. Many here would object to anything more than the betta in a tank that size but the neons ended up with him by accident ( 30 gal tank emergency and they needed a temp home). However, a year later, they are still there, thriving and by all appearances content. So – that’s my stock.

Nitrates never go higher than 5ppm with weekly water changes and 2 small cascade HOB filters that produce very little flow which makes for a happy betta.

This tank has a betta log (ceramic) which Raylon loves to zip in and out of all the holes and a lava rock with a hole in it where he usually sleeps. The neons also sleep inside the log. Consequently, while not natural, these 2 pieces must remain in the tank to keep Raylan and the Neons happy (sounds like a 50’s Motown group). Also in the tank was gravel substrate and several marbles and some quartz rocks and a snail shell and 2 silk plants. Also an anubis tied to driftwood that never grew but never died either.
The tank, before:
Cute but not natural. Those are the 4 grandkids btw in their snorkels and swim suits watching over the fish.

I decided I wanted to take a stab at a planted tank because I love the natural look and I know it’s better for the fish. Also I have a continuing problem with diatoms in this tank as well as in my 90 gal tank and after much discussion with those here much more experienced than I, have determined the diatom issue is not due to water (since my 30 gal has no diatoms) but due, most likely, to the gravel substrate which must be heavy in silicates. So this is also an experiment to see if the end result will mean 0 diatoms in the 5 gal and if so, I’ll seek a similar solution in the 90.
I purchased the following:
Fluorite – black, 4 plants – micro sword and variegated micro sword, Dwarf baby tears, Banana plant.

more on next post - and bear with me. I'm having difficulty loading photos and now can't seem to delete them. :o(

fishmommie
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
part 2
Step 1:
Removed plants from containers and peeled wool floss from roots.
Separated plants. Cut string attaching existing Anubis to a small piece of driftwood so it, too could be planted
Dipped new plants in 10% bleach 90% water 3 times to insure no snails, then soaked in prime treated water until time to plant

here are the plants removed from their pots

Step2:
Drained water from 5 gal to a clean bucket, netted fish, installed heater in bucket, added a bubbler and removed motors from filters then sank filters with media in the bucket with fish to keep from drying out.
Removed background. Removed 2 silk plants
Cleaned diatoms off betta log and lava rock
Emptied gravel from tank and cleaned tank with several rinses and vinegar wash

Step3:
Poured one inch of fluorite into tank (did not rinse)
Planted new plants and the old anubus and repositioned betta log.

here's the tank from above with the plants in place

Sandz
05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
I like the start! You will be fiddling with it for a year or more to get what you want. Got to love the new delve into a new area of the hobby!

fishmommie
05-15-2013, 06:27 PM
part 3

Covered bottom of tank with newspaper then using a pitcher slowly poured water over the newspaper to keep the fourite from drifting into water. Used water from the fish bucket.

Once tank was 1/2 full, carefully removed newspaper, then filled a gallon zip lock bag with treated water (same temp as tank) and holding bag closed, inverted until submerged then slowly released the water to avoid stirring up fluorite. Repeated until tank was full.
Added new background to back of tank
Added filters and heater and added fish, added hood.
Water was a tad cloudy for about 4 – 6 hours then cleared completely.

Redo from start to finish took about 1 ½ hours. Thanks to Sandz for telling me about this method of planting with fluorite which saved tons of time and work had I rinsed the fluorite first.

Here's the tank all cleared up the next day

And here's Raylan peaking out of his log.

Yet to do: order replacement bulb for hood as the bulb I have is over a year old and is not geared toward plants. I purchase only low light plants as I want very low maintenance.
Also need to adjust the background as I have some air bubbles between it and the back of the tank.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Should I add some taller plants in the back? Reposition any of the existing plants? Put my snorkeling grandchildren BACK as part of the background? :o)

Taurus
05-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Looks to me like Raylan may like bananas? He sure is checking them out in picture 3.

fishmommie
05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Looks to me like Raylan may like bananas? He sure is checking them out in picture 3.
Raylan likes EVERYTHING. He's a very curious betta.
And he's officially given his stamp of approval on his new digs - watched him build a nice big bubble nest up in the corner of the tank this morning.

Taurus
05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Well, he's put his seal of approval on the arrangement. What more do you need? thumbs2:

gronlaura
05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
part 3Comments and suggestions are welcome. Should I add some taller plants in the back? Reposition any of the existing plants? Put my snorkeling grandchildren BACK as part of the background? :o)

If Raylan misses the snorkeling grandchildren, then I would put them back! Maybe a med tall plant to help hide the heater? Otherwise, I like the new look.

steeler58
05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Cool change over; thanks for sharing.

fishmommie
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
If Raylan misses the snorkeling grandchildren, then I would put them back! Maybe a med tall plant to help hide the heater? Otherwise, I like the new look.

Yeah - Raylan's not the only one who misses the kids. :o)
And thanks. I agree. maybe an amazon sword in that corner. I could even get some hornwort and tuck a stem or two into the substrate to anchor it.
thanks!

fishmommie
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
It's been 10 days since I planted my 5 gallon and all is going well. Today I added a moss ball and 3 amazon swords.
I also rearranged the betta log a bit so give the tank a little more floor space for the plants to spread.
Note the banana plant has already sent out 2 long stems - both have lily pads floating on the water's surface. very cool.
Nitrites were less than 5 when I changed the water today (after a week) and so far there is no diatom forming on anything which leads me to conclude it was my substrate that was responsible.
all and all, I'm very happy with the look and am hopeful the plants will start growing out soon.

JudiJetson
05-25-2013, 10:51 PM
It looks absolutely beautiful! Awesome job with the plants they look to be great, it also gives the appearance of a larger tank. Well done :)

fishmommie
05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
It looks absolutely beautiful! Awesome job with the plants they look to be great, it also gives the appearance of a larger tank. Well done :)

Thanks Judi. It's fun playing with this little tank. Good practice for when I redo my 30 which will be within a couple months. I'll eventually get to the 90 but I think I'm going to plant it like you're planting your discus tank - with pots - so my sevs might leave the plants alone :o)

gronlaura
05-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Your tank looks terrific! I bet Raylon really likes his new digs.

fishmommie
05-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Your tank looks terrific! I bet Raylon really likes his new digs.
Thanks! And thanks for the suggestion of the taller plant by the heater. the amazon swords should do the trick as they grows.
Raylan is a little miffed at me at the moment because I rearranged his digs again. He'll get over it :o)

Sandz
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I really like these additions! I hope the betta loves it as much as us!

fishmommie
05-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I really like these additions! I hope the betta loves it as much as us!
Thanks. I think he's just a little thrown by the log repositioning. he'll come around,.
Oh - and my nanner plant is shooting up yet another lily pad stem. Sweet!

KevinVA
06-18-2013, 02:27 AM
How the heck did I miss this journal?

Looks great, Cindy! See? You do have a green thumb. =]

fishmommie
06-18-2013, 04:21 AM
How the heck did I miss this journal?
Looks great, Cindy! See? You do have a green thumb. =]

Thanks, Kevin. It's a very small tank but was a good place for me to start. The 30 will be next!

fishmommie
07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
quick update. plants are growing! haven't lost any yet though the baby tears are not flourishing like the other plants. the banana plant has 6 lily pads now. found Raylan snuggled up on one the night after lights out in the tank :o)

gronlaura
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Looks great!

JudiJetson
07-09-2013, 02:11 AM
It looks fantastic! I totally want one of those banana plants... and a betta, such personalities they have :)

fishmommie
07-09-2013, 02:30 AM
thanks, guys. and yes. Bettas are amazing. totally in love with this guy.

fishmommie
10-01-2013, 02:29 PM
quick update. Baby tears did not make it. All other plants are growing but not as rapidly as I had hoped. Unfortunately, the diatoms came back with a vengeance - so, planting the tank was not the answer. I must wipe down the glass (most is toward the bottom) and the plant leaves every week and still those darn things grow. they also grow on the log and rocks in the tank. I also dose with Flourish weekly. Low light but in a room with a lot of indirect sunlight. 50 - 70% water change weekly without fail so maintenance is not the issue.
I cannot keep a snail alive in this tank or i would add a couple of nerites to help control the problem. All food is eaten so I know that's not the issue. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the diatoms would be greatly appreciated. I'll attempt to post a photo soon.

fishmommie
10-01-2013, 02:46 PM
here is the tank with the dreaded diatoms that I just cleaned on Sunday - this is Tuesday :o( Sorry for the poor photo quality. difficult to take a shot in that room in daylight.
You can see the diatoms all around the bottom of the glass and if you look close it's on the leaves and the log. darn nasty stuff!

Sandz
10-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Your tank still looks great!

fishmommie
10-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Your tank still looks great!
thanks buddy but I'd give anything to get rid of those diatoms :o(

JudiJetson
10-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Dang, the tank does look great but I get what you're saying about those diatoms they would annoy the hell out of me.

madagascariensis
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
If your betta can tolerate them, a nerite snail or two would deal with the diatoms easily. They may not climb on thinner pla nt bits though.

fishmommie
10-02-2013, 12:27 AM
If your betta can tolerate them, a nerite snail or two would deal with the diatoms easily. They may not climb on thinner pla nt bits though.

I've tried snails in this tank and for some reason they don't survive. They thrive in my 30 gal (even hatch eggs) but every snail I've ever put in this tank dies within a month or two. At least they did before I planted the tank. Maybe I could try it again. thanks.
I'm going to try to cut the light from 8 to 5 hours a day and see what happens.

eltylT
11-11-2013, 08:11 PM
did the snails make it ?

fishmommie
11-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Sadly no. When I very first got this tank 2 years ago, I used copper safe to treat of a mild case of ich on my QT neons. Apparently the copper leeched into the silicone sealant and for that reason, I can't keep a snail alive.
They flourish in my 30 and 90 but it's a no go in this 5. darn.

JudiJetson
11-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Have you ever tried purigen in the filter?

fishmommie
11-11-2013, 09:13 PM
I use Purigen in my 90 and love it. But I still have brown algae in that tank no matter what. Ii's better than it once was - I'd say cut down by 1/2 over the past few months.

I'm convinced it's sunlight. No direct sunlight on either tank but one is in the sunroom and one in my office and both rooms have tons of windows.
The last time I cleaned the brown algae off the log in the 5 gal, it was only on the side facing the south windows. Same thing with the rocks in my 90.
So now I just flip the rocks around when I clean the tank and put the algae free side front and center. When that starts getting covered, I flip them around again and by that time, the back side is once again clean.

So clearly, sunlight - even though indirect - plays a part in my tanks.
My 30 gallon doesn't get as much indirect sunlight + I have nerite and apple snails in it - never any brown algae.

So I guess I just get to live with it in the other 2 tanks.

JudiJetson
11-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Ah, my tanks are all in the basement family room so no sunlight at all so I guess I'm lucky there, except for the fact that I have to leave room lights on during the day or they would always be in the dark if the tank lights weren't on

fishmommie
11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Since I've tried everything else to get rid of the brown algae, that only leaves sunlight. I've done Chemi pure also - which leaves the water sparkling btw - and changed substrate, cut way down on feeding - the only thing I haven't tried is an algae filter.
Can't keep ottos in the 90 - the cichlids kill them and it's a lot of work for snails even though they clean some of it up
I've never missed a weekly water change and vac and nitrates are low so --- guess I'm just stuck with it.

I do plan to change the 5 gal out for a 15 soon. At that point I'm adding snails and ottos and am figuring (hoping) my problem will be over :o)

Soot
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Lovely tank - found you found a solution in the end!

fishmommie
12-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Thought I'd update. I upgraded the 5 gallon to a 15 for several reasons. I wanted more neons :o) and I wanted snails (which would not survive in the 5 gal) and I was weary of the brown algae covering the plant leaves. So, here's a photo of the 15. I transplanted the banana plant, the crypts and the amazon swords and added some cambodia and floating hornwort.
I now have more neons, 6 pigmy cory cats, the crowntail and a blue apple snail and 2 nerites snails. They are all thriving AND no brown algae. so yea!!

And here's a photo of the crown tail (Raylan) It's difficult to catch him in the right light but this is a great representation of his color. Just not a great photo :o(

Knightia
12-20-2013, 09:27 PM
This is looking really nice. All your plants look really healthy. That cabomba is going to get pretty big pretty fast. Maybe consider moving it behind that nice piece of driftwood you have so it becomes more of a backdrop plant.

That is one pretty betta - how old is he?

fishmommie
12-20-2013, 09:56 PM
thanks for the suggestion, firefly. I actually have one camboda behind the driftwood and the shorter one in front of it. BUT as you said, it's growing fast so you're right. I need to transplant it soon.

We've had Raylan a little less than a year. I selected the smallest one I could find hoping he would be less than a year old. He's grown and filled out nicely and his colors are simply gorgeous. his body is that deep water blue and his dorsal is robin's egg blue with his tail and under fins burgandy with the occasional splash of blue. He's a great fish - leaves the neons alone and loves to sleep on the plant leaves.

Knightia
12-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Plenty of character then. It's always so nice when you get a good one. :smile:

gronlaura
12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
I bet Raylan thinks he won the Betta Lottery being in the 15 gal! Tank looks lovely.

fishmommie
12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Plenty of character then. It's always so nice when you get a good one. :smile:
He is a character. I love how he comes to the top to be fed when he sees me.
My angel (in my 30) gal and my EBJD (in my 90) also like to be hand fed. Got to love it.

JudiJetson
12-20-2013, 10:20 PM
yaaay! the tank looks really great and Raylan is such a pretty & sweet betta... really makes me want to do a similar tank.... so happy all is going well with it!

fishmommie
12-20-2013, 10:28 PM
I bet Raylan thinks he won the Betta Lottery being in the 15 gal! Tank looks lovely.
Thanks Laura. I'm loving the larger tank - and yes, so is Raylan :o) And I've been amazed how little maintenance is required in both this tank and my 30 gal (which is now fully planted) since I've planted both of them. Only the occasional light surface vac is required and nitrates are a non issue. I've got no special lighting, no CO2. I do dose with flourish once a week but that's it. I've even added plants to my 90. Since the cichlids would rout them up, I didn't plant them in the substrate but tucked them into nooks and crannies in the driftwood. I think it's helping with the brown algae (which is much better than it once was) and with nitrates. so, I'm proof that you don't need to be a botanist to grow aquarium plants. Of course, all of my plants are basic, low light and hardy plants so that helps :o)

fishmommie
12-20-2013, 10:28 PM
yaaay! the tank looks really great and Raylan is such a pretty & sweet betta... really makes me want to do a similar tank.... so happy all is going well with it!

Thanks Judi. I'm happy too. I love this little 15 gallon. :o)

Soot
12-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Lovely upgrade!

fishmommie
12-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Lovely upgrade!
Thanks. I'm really enjoying it. I'll do a little rescaping of the plants when I do my weekly W/C today and post photos after it's changed around.

fishmommie
03-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Haven't updated for a while so here's a new photo of the 15 and the plants. They've really been growing nicely and have been very happy with the tank over all.
no algae issues of any kind. have 2 apple snails and 2 nerites that seem to take care of things. Raylan and the neons are healthy and vibrant.
that's it

KevinVA
03-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Looking really nice, Cindy. Congrats on a beautiful tank. =]

fishmommie
03-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Looking really nice, Cindy. Congrats on a beautiful tank. =]

Thanks Kevin. I couldn't be happier with this tank - except my cambodia is getting a little spindly. Thanks to you I've started dosing Excel once a week in addition to flourish comprehensive to see if that can help fill it out.
IF I get to a fish store today, I may try to pick up a few endlers. I'm so in love with those fish. I think they would go well with the neons. the betta is one lay back guy. He never, ever bothers the neons so I'm thinking the endlers would do well. Either them or celestial pearl danios.

steeler58
03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Nice tank Cindy, I don't know how I missed this thread (blush). I've seen some nice endlers but the black diamond and some of the other blues realy look nice. The celestial pearl danios would look great in your tank and fill up the upper level. Great choices either way.

MCHRKiller
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Lovely tank! :11:

If your plants are getting leggy low lighting is most likely the culprit.

fishmommie
03-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Thanks Lee and Jenn.
Really appreciate it coming from the 2 of you.

This tank is only 12 inches deep and has LED lighting. It's also in the sunroom so there's lots of indirect but never direct light. I've started dosing a little excel just to see if it makes a difference. Only the cambodia appears leggy and maybe I just need to trim it back.

thanks again

KevinVA
03-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Those bushy stem plants can be tricky, because if you have medium lighting (which is typically ok for cabomba and the like) midway down the tank, the plants will look fine from that point on up, but if the bottom of the tank is only getting low light, there won't be enough to keep the bottoms full of leaves. Another problem is planting them too close together (I have that problem). If you do that, they have a tendency to shade the bottoms of other stems, so the light can't get through. Medium-high to high lighting can keep the entire stem healthy, but only as long as it can penetrate every hole in your plant canopy/forest.

fishmommie
03-03-2014, 02:58 AM
Those bushy stem plants can be tricky, because if you have medium lighting (which is typically ok for cabomba and the like) midway down the tank, the plants will look fine from that point on up, but if the bottom of the tank is only getting low light, there won't be enough to keep the bottoms full of leaves. Another problem is planting them too close together (I have that problem). If you do that, they have a tendency to shade the bottoms of other stems, so the light can't get through. Medium-high to high lighting can keep the entire stem healthy, but only as long as it can penetrate every hole in your plant canopy/forest.
that makes sense Kevin as I have the cambodia behind the driftwood where they don't get much light.
I may rearrange things a bit next water change. thanks.

gronlaura
03-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Lovely tank! Lucky Raylan!

fishmommie
03-26-2014, 02:21 PM
quick update here. I had 3 filters running on this 15 gal (sounds like overkill, huh?)
But 2 were little Tetra whispers rated for 7 gal each, the other is a submersed hook on the back rated for 10.
The tetras stopped whispering. Could not get them to run quiet anymore. I think I paid a whole $10 each for them 2 years ago so I got my goody out of them.
The other day i pulled the seeded media out of them and added the HOB that came with the 15 gal Kit. I have NO idea what brand this HOB is, but it's rated for 15 gal and it runs as quiet as a mouse and had room for all my seeded media (some ceramic rings and sponges) as well as the floss filled with carbon that came with the new filter.
Switched it all over and so far no issues. Well, one.
This filter creates more waterfall current than the 2 small whisper filters combined. Raylan doesn't much like it but it really makes the plants come alive as they sway in the water.
Seems I saw some DIY fix on reducing currents. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Want my betta happy.
thanks

Slaphppy7
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Yeah, there's a DIY here somewhere on using a cut plastic bottle to reduce the waterfall intensity...lemme look

madagascariensis
03-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Tetra whispers like to defy their name. I once bought a whisper 20, and it whispered for 2 days before making a Noise like an air pump. I banished it to the basement quarantine where its racket would not disturb anyone, but within 6 months it also lost 90% of its flow rate regardless of any cleaning. I now just stick to aquaclears.

Slaphppy7
03-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Here you go, Cindy: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=diverter

fishmommie
03-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Tetra whispers like to defy their name. I once bought a whisper 20, and it whispered for 2 days before making a Noise like an air pump. I banished it to the basement quarantine where its racket would not disturb anyone, but within 6 months it also lost 90% of its flow rate regardless of any cleaning. I now just stick to aquaclears.

Guess I got my money's worth :o)

the odd thing about this new hob is that it came with the 15 gal tank and lid with and led light strip, but it was in a white box with no markings and no instructions. nothing printed or stamped on the filter either that I could find. but it's running nice and quiet so so far so good

fishmommie
03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Here you go, Cindy: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=diverter

Thanks, Slap. That's exactly the one I was thinking off.
And I think it's official. Larry's our spell checker and your our research specialist :o)

fishmommie
03-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Can anyone tell how he attaches this DIY flow difuser to the filter? That's the only part I can't figure out. I must be missing something. thanks

fishmommie
03-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Went to get the grandkids yesterday and on the way home we stopped by my LFS. Low and behold - he had some male Poecilia endlers. Well, guess who came home with 6 of them.
they are doing great this morning in the 15 gallon. I managed to get 1 semi decent photo. I'll try to get a video tonight. the little beauties are so fast it's difficult to snap a shot.

Slaphppy7
03-29-2014, 05:18 PM
There's the journal I was looking for! Those endlers are so pretty, congrats! I'm trying to get Lauren interested in them

fishmommie
03-29-2014, 06:16 PM
There's the journal I was looking for! Those endlers are so pretty, congrats! I'm trying to get Lauren interested in them

I cannot tell you how beautiful these little guys are. got 6 for $15.00 - and no shipping costs :o) I don't know if that's over charging but I couldn't be happier.

All he had were males which was fine with me. No worries about babies all the time. They are up front and center in the tank, too. Sometimes they school, sometimes they'll be all split up. And what I really like is that they seem to have brought the neons front and center also where as they have a tendency to hang around behind my driftwood so I don't see as much of them as I'd like to.

I'll try to get some video one of these first nights. Was amazed I was able to get that photo - not the best but not bad for as fast as they move.

Sandz
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Very nice fish! I notice a lot of people really getting into this side of the livebearer family lately. I like it. I am thinking a live bearer tank would be really cool. I want to get my goodied going and then see if a planted tank of livebearers might be cool and od a mixing of different types that wont crossbreed.

fishmommie
03-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Very nice fish! I notice a lot of people really getting into this side of the livebearer family lately. I like it. I am thinking a live bearer tank would be really cool. I want to get my goodied going and then see if a planted tank of livebearers might be cool and od a mixing of different types that wont crossbreed.

Thanks. I really love them. I have neons and a betta with the endlers. I don't think I'll have crossbreeding issues :o)

jacoste
03-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Beautiful fish! Can't wait to see that video (hint, hint).

KevinVA
03-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Can anyone tell how he attaches this DIY flow difuser to the filter? That's the only part I can't figure out. I must be missing something. thanks

I watched the video and studied the end product several times and can't really tell how it's hooked on. I think that it sits under the filter, though, and over top of the rim of the tank. The pressure of the HOB filter keeps it there.

KevinVA
03-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Awesome endlers, Cindy! Very beautiful. Definitely looking forward to a video. Also, I think 6 for $15 is a pretty good deal. thumbs2:

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 03:10 AM
I watched the video and studied the end product several times and can't really tell how it's hooked on. I think that it sits under the filter, though, and over top of the rim of the tank. The pressure of the HOB filter keeps it there.

That's what I decided too. Thanks for trying to figure it out. And it won't work with my HOB. The motor is under the box along with the intake tube so there's no way to make it work.
What I DID do was cut a nice piece of black sponge and made it just enough wider than the opening of the waterfall and tucked it inside a bit. I stays perfectly, you can't see it because the filter box is black and it diffuses the water to exactly the flow I'd hoped for. I'll just rinse it out when I do my weekly W/C and everyone should be happy.i

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 03:11 AM
Awesome endlers, Cindy! Very beautiful. Definitely looking forward to a video. Also, I think 6 for $15 is a pretty good deal. thumbs2:

Thanks. I didn't think it was out of line either. Video soon ...

Zerileous
03-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Awesome endlers!!

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Awesome endlers!!

thanks. I see you have a 13 gal in progress. If you've been debating about endlers, don't hesitate. they are beautiful, active fish :o)

Slaphppy7
03-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Cindy, if one ended up with both males and females, would they breed crazily and out-of-control, like certain fish that I have? I haven't researched the endlers like you probably have.

Is there just one type/species of "endler"?

KevinVA
03-30-2014, 02:56 PM
They're a different species of guppy, so there won't be any problem with producing babies. ;P I think you should get some, Matt. lol

Cindy, I was just reading that the males are actually peaceful toward one another. It's the females that are bullies.

Slaphppy7
03-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Oh, I didn't know that...thanks Kev

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Cindy, if one ended up with both males and females, would they breed crazily and out-of-control, like certain fish that I have? I haven't researched the endlers like you probably have.

Is there just one type/species of "endler"?

I understand that endlers are in the guppy family. So, does that give you any hints as to their breeding patterns?

Check this out
http://gallery.endlers1.com/

Also check out another thread here on the AC (sorry can't remember the name. If I find it I'll send you the link) but Cygnus has shared photos of his endlers. He also states that to be considered 'pure endlers' they must be registered otherwise assume they are cross breds. I Assume that mine are crossbreds but since they are what one commonly finds it's most likely that any you buy that aren't special order from a site like the link above will be hybrids. Either way, they're gorgeous little fish.

found the links to the two threads:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=117018

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=117038

Slaphppy7
03-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Thanks Cindy. Yeah, I had seen both of those threads, good info. Thanks for the link to the site that sells the purebreds, too!

How do you tell if they are male or female? I really need to get Lauren to check these out, I really like them, and from what you and others have said, they seem like a very fun fish to have.

mommy1
03-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Nice addition to your tank Fishmom. I have always liked endler's but I've never had any because I can't find pure one's around here. I may check into buying some from the link you provided... I need more tanks.
Slap, the females are pretty plain and the males are very colorful. You can also tell by the fins, the same way you do with platy's...

Slaphppy7
03-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks, I see now from The Endler Shop that the females are quite plain, indeed. I have got to get Lauren to check these out when she gets home.

I wonder if the male endlers would get along with the male guppies she already has

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks Cindy. Yeah, I had seen both of those threads, good info. Thanks for the link to the site that sells the purebreds, too!

How do you tell if they are male or female? I really need to get Lauren to check these out, I really like them, and from what you and others have said, they seem like a very fun fish to have.
My LFS guy told me they were all males. I went with it :o)
Actually, from what I've read, the females do not have the vibrant colors like the males. They are also a little larger and plumper.

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice addition to your tank Fishmom. I have always liked endler's but I've never had any because I can't find pure one's around here. I may check into buying some from the link you provided... I need more tanks.
Slap, the females are pretty plain and the males are very colorful. You can also tell by the fins, the same way you do with platy's...

Thanks. They are so much fun - just all over the tank and no fear. the 15 is the perfect tank for them because it's heavily planted and really mature, although, apparently they adapt very easily to many conditions.
The pure breds on the site are really pricey. I'm sure they're worth it. I got these little guys for 6 for $15.00 which makes me very happy :o)

Oh and yes - we ALL need more tanks :o)

Slaphppy7
03-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Yeah, look at the females on this page...i wouldn't even know they were endlers, very drab: http://order.endlers1.com/

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Couldn't help myself. Stopped on the way home from delivering the grandkids and bought 3 more. He so rarely has them that I thought I'd better get them while I had the chance. Little bitty things are only about 1/2 and inch long :o)

Slaphppy7
03-30-2014, 11:18 PM
I would have done the same thing, lol...how many did he have left when you were done (or are you?) :hmm3grin2orange:

fishmommie
03-30-2014, 11:45 PM
I would have done the same thing, lol...how many did he have left when you were done (or are you?) :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah. I'm a sucker for a flashy fish - even if it's just a mighty mite!
He still had 1/2 a dozen or so. And yes. I'm done. I hope they all make it but one or two may not, you just never know. Although, the first 6 are amazingly active so I feel they are all healthy. Fingers crossed.

Oh - and I forgot. I'm sick of the mts in the 15 and the 30. I've been culling every chance I get. I don't mind a few because I think they do help keep the soil aerated but they're really starting to annoy me. So ... I bought my first assassin snail. I have 2 nice sized nerites and 2 good sized apple snails in the tank so I'm hoping they are safe. I'll monitor but I think the assassin will keep very busy with the MTS. If I notice a drastic decline, then I'll move him to my 30 and he can go to work on the ones in there.

Slaphppy7
03-31-2014, 12:00 AM
LOL, understood. Youneed to get us at least a short vid of the endlers so I can show Lauren

Congrats on the new assassin! They are really cool snails, even when they aren't terrorizing the pests. Why just one? How big is he?

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Decided to check all water parameters in all three tanks today. No surprises re ammonia, nitrites or nitrates but a BIG surprise regarding PH. In the past, all 3 tanks ran around 7. When I checked today, the ph in the 15 gal was between 6. and 6.4. VERY low. I've been remiss and not checked PH for some time because it has consistently been so stable. Now I'm concerned. My test kit is over 6 months old so I'm ordering a new one and will check again after it arrives. It still shows the water straight out of the tap at 7.6 though, which is what it's always read so I'm leaning toward the results being accurate.

Checked the PH ranges for all the fish in the 15 (neons and betta and endlers) and the only ones who might not like the low ph are the endlers. So far they are doing well.

I still feel inclined to do something to raise the PH a bit because it's so low in this tank.
I have some old beach shells (little ones - like quarter and nickle size clam shells) that I've collected over the years. Would they still have enough 'goodie' in them to raise the ph a bit? And if so, how many would you add to the filter in the 15 gal?
Also - if this is the route to take, would you add the shells slowly, over several days so as not to raise the PH too quickly?

thanks guys

mommy1
03-31-2014, 02:37 PM
pH is a symptom not a cause, check the GH in the tap and tank, it is much more important than pH to the fish. If it is the same I would just do a few small water changes over the next few days to get the pH back where it was and try to figure out why it dropped. What is in the tank that might have dropped the pH? It may be that you have a highly planted tank and the plants are affecting the pH, if this is the case more frequent water changes is all you need. If the GH of the tank and tap is different then you need to deal with that slowly as a rapidly fluctuating GH can have a much worse effect on the fish than pH.

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
Thanks Mommy. I've been scouring the web since I posted and found that one of the causes of a lower PH could occur while a tank is cycling. This tank is not cycling but last week I changed out 2 little filters for one larger one. I used all of the seeded material from the old filters in the new filter but there is a good sized floss and carbon cartridge in the new filter that I also left in there. Could the fact that BB is colonizing on the new cartridge cause the PH to drop temporarily?

In the meantime, the PH is also lower in my other two tanks than it used to be so I'll go ahead and order a GH test when I order the new PH test bottles and also check as you suggested.
thanks again.

mommy1
03-31-2014, 02:55 PM
I know about the cycling/pH issue and it is good that you brought it up. As I told you I haven't read this whole thread so I may not have all the information I need to help. I suppose it is possible that anytime a tank is adjusting and maturing there might be a fluctuation in pH. Until it is stable and mature we have to be diligent with testing for just this reason. I am inclined to think there might have been a change in the tap water somewhere because all the tanks are showing a difference in their normal pH. Either that, or a bad pH kit, but that really shouldn't be the case if the kit is only 6 months old. Is the expiration date still good?
Under these circumstances I would advise you not to order the GH test kit online, but go get one at the store if possible. Fluctuating GH really stresses and hurts the fish and it does so quickly. I could be wrong about the differing GH, but if I am right, something needs to be done about it quickly.

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 03:16 PM
Yikes. I'm in a bind re going anywhere to get a kit - an hour drive each way. Wish I'd have tested the water yesterday before I stopped at the LFS when I took the grandkids home :o( Timing is everything.
My PH bottle is well over 6 months - more like 2 + years because I use it so rarely so I'm holding out hope that it's not accurate.

BTW - this tank is well established - almost 2 years old. It started out as a 5 gal which I later planted then in Dec I change it all over to a 15 gal. Added a large piece of driftwood at that time - no tannins ever showed so I don't think that would be a PH issue. It's heavily planted now so I guess it's possible that would affect the PH. historically runs very low on nitrates - 5ppm or less between weekly W/C.

I've always concentrated on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and only rarely tested PH - which shows that you can be in this hobby for 2+ year and still be ignorant of so many things. Uggg.

This drop in PH may have been happening over a long period - or it could have just happened. My bad. I'll see if I can carve some time out today to run to the LFS. Tons to do today (after having the 4 grands all weekend + hubby's hip surgery is tomorrow)

Need to do W/Cs today but am almost afraid to do too much for fear of shocking all three tanks.

Thanks again for your help.
Right now I'm very discouraged. I spend so much time on these tanks working to keep them healthy and end up with an issue like this because I've dropped the ball on PH testing - mainly because I've ascribed to the 'don't mess with it' theory not realizing that GH could affect it or visa versa so adversely.

Slaphppy7
03-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Sorry for your troubles, Cindy...gosh this stuff never stops...hopefully it's not as bad as it could be

mommy1
03-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the recap it helps. Don't be discouraged! I've been in this hobby nearly my entire life and only learned the importance of GH over pH about a year ago. We are all always learning.
If the GH was changing the fish would quickly show signs of stress. If they are fine, chances are the GH is ok and the pH is fluctuating for a different reason, or since the test is so old, the pH might not be fluctuating at all. I would still buy a GH test along with a new pH one just to be safe.
In their natural habitat plants cause pH to fluctuate quite a bit every 24 hours, sometimes over a full point and the fish are fine. This is because the GH does not usually fluctuate. Wait a few hours and check pH again and see if it has changed.

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the recap it helps. Don't be discouraged! I've been in this hobby nearly my entire life and only learned the importance of GH over pH about a year ago. We are all always learning.
If the GH was changing the fish would quickly show signs of stress. If they are fine, chances are the GH is ok and the pH is fluctuating for a different reason, or since the test is so old, the pH might not be fluctuating at all. I would still buy a GH test along with a new pH one just to be safe.
In their natural habitat plants cause pH to fluctuate quite a bit every 24 hours, sometimes over a full point and the fish are fine. This is because the GH does not usually fluctuate. Wait a few hours and check pH again and see if it has changed.

Thanks again. I appreciate both the encouragement and the information.
The fish seem fine so hopefully the GH is okay and the PH test is old. Either way, I'm ordering both today and should have them in a few days.
Interesting about PH fluctuation and plants. That would be the common denominator in all 3 tanks. They've all been planted within the past year and I keep adding. So, hopefully, it will just be a question of adding enough shell or crushed coral to level the PH and keep it from dropping further ... or best case scenario is the PH test is old and inacurate.
Again - really appreciate it.

mommy1
03-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Remember pH is only a symptom not a cause, if the GH is stable you should not have to do anything really. Plants naturally lower and raise pH with the use/release of oxygen and co2. This type of pH fluctuation is not a danger to your fish. People who run co2 on their tanks experience this all the time. Start testing your pH at night and during the middle of the day, see what happens with the pH.
I have some articles about this bookmarked on my computer at home, when I get home I will post them for you. They will explain better than I can.

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Remember pH is only a symptom not a cause, if the GH is stable you should not have to do anything really. Plants naturally lower and raise pH with the use/release of oxygen and co2. This type of pH fluctuation is not a danger to your fish. People who run co2 on their tanks experience this all the time. Start testing your pH at night and during the middle of the day, see what happens with the pH.
I have some articles about this bookmarked on my computer at home, when I get home I will post them for you. They will explain better than I can.

Thanks again. I will check at those intervals and see what's up. Always something to learn here :o)

Taurus
03-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Cindy, are the fish ok or do they seem stressed? Is their behavior normal? Colors ok? If they look ok, I wouldn't stress about it. With the regular water changes that you make, I wouldn't worry about it to much, but I do agree that a GH/dH test kit is more informative than just testing for pH.

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Cindy, are the fish ok or do they seem stressed? Is their behavior normal? Colors ok? If they look ok, I wouldn't stress about it. With the regular water changes that you make, I wouldn't worry about it to much, but I do agree that a GH/dH test kit is more informative than just testing for pH.

thanks Larry. No they don't look stressed. they're eating, flitting about, gorgeous color and seem to be fit and fine. I appreciate you're checking in!

KevinVA
03-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Hey Cindy,

Sorry for the recent pH/GH/KH problem. I think mommy1 is onto something with the pH lowering due to your tanks being more heavily planted. When did you test the pH anyway? During the day or at night? Were the lights still on in the tank?

kingkarter
03-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Very nice tank! I love keeping Bettas and Neons together.

fishmommie
03-31-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey Cindy,

Sorry for the recent pH/GH/KH problem. I think mommy1 is onto something with the pH lowering due to your tanks being more heavily planted. When did you test the pH anyway? During the day or at night? Were the lights still on in the tank?

I tested this morning before i fed them and the lights were on.
Just happened to think - I drew the water and it sat for about 30 minutes before I tested. Would that make a difference?

Slaphppy7
03-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure if that would make much difference. Like the others have said, if your fish are acting fine, I wouldn't be worried about it, Cindy.

KevinVA
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
I tested this morning before i fed them and the lights were on.
Just happened to think - I drew the water and it sat for about 30 minutes before I tested. Would that make a difference?

Test it again, now (mid-day) and see what kind of readings you get.

Taurus
03-31-2014, 10:04 PM
CO2 has a chance to off gas?

mommy1
03-31-2014, 10:08 PM
CO2 has a chance to off gas?Exactly, this is why I suggested testing the pH during the day and then again at night.

Cygnus
04-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Such a cute little endler.

For ph, I read through most of the posts, but are you checking your tap water?

Last year our city was playing with the water using carbon dioxide and other things (never said why) but I was getting huge swings in ph as a result. I ended up having to buy a house water system to fix it.

I rarely test the tank water (once every 2 months) unless one of the fish begins acting funny, but I got used to testing the tap water.

mommy1
04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Here are the links I promised about GH, KH, pH, co2 and how they relate to each other and our aquariums.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html

http://www.hallman.org/plant/huebert.html

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumkh.html

fishmommie
04-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Here are the links I promised about GH, KH, pH, co2 and how they relate to each other and our aquariums.

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumkh.html

Thanks! I'll check them out as soon as things settle down here. Hubby came through his surgery great. SOOO much better than his knees surgeries. Hope to get him home Friday

mommy1
04-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Happy to hear things went well for him. Hope he continues to have a speedy recovery.

KevinVA
04-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Glad to hear it Cindy! thumbs2:

steeler58
04-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Here's one for Tom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0yQrhUypc&feature=player_detailpage

gronlaura
04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Best wishes for your hubby's speedy recovery.

Taurus
04-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Hubby came through his surgery great. SOOO much better than his knees surgeries. Hope to get him home Friday

Now that's the best news I've heard this week.

Sandz
04-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Oh and yes - we ALL need more tanks :o)

See! I knew she was planning a 300gal tank.

Sandz
04-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Congrats on the Hubby coming through surgery well. I know I text you but no problem saying it twice!

Slaphppy7
04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Glad hubby is ok Cindy, good to hear!

fishmommie
04-06-2014, 01:43 PM
thanks everyone. Even though he did well, the recovery is proving to be a bear. got him home Friday afternoon. This is going to be a long haul for him. still a lot of pain and swelling but slow improvement every day. thanks again for caring.

KevinVA
04-07-2014, 02:13 PM
You guys are in my thoughts/prayers, Cindy. Hope the recovery is fast!

Sandz
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Man, I hope he does better as the days go by. Thinking of you!

JudiJetson
04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Cindy, glad to hear the surgery went well. Thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery

fishmommie
04-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi all. Taking a little time out from all my other irons in fire to post some results. And thanks again to everyone who expressed well wishes to the hubster. He continues to improve daily so we are very encouraged.

Now to fish, PH, GH and KH

I got my new PH test kit along with the KH and GH kits.

Here are my results prior to the last W/C
PH - remains between 6.4 - 6.6 in all three tanks. That's what it read before I made the w/c on Tuesday and that's what it reads today, thursday. Tap water is 7.6.
KH - appears to be around 4 or 5. I don't get a bright yellow but I do get a change from clear to yellow. Tap water is the same as tank water.
GH - runs from 8 - 10. Tap water is around 11.

So, because my KH and GH are med to high, are they keeping the PH from being a problem?

I will admit, I read only one of the articles Mommy1 sent so far and I feel more confused than when I started. Time has been a factor but I will get to all of them.

My biggest fear right now since the fish all seem fine, is that the PH might drop so low I'd lose my cycle.

Anyone have any comments or concerns, I'm open ears.

Oh - side note: since I ordered other new test kits, I ordered a new Nitrate kit. Wow. Was I surprised when I tested with the new nitrate kit that ALL three of my tanks were between 10 - 15ppm prior to a water change. So, I tested with the old nitrate kit for comparison - and I got between 20ppm and 40ppm. Frustrating BUT also good news. My old kit (which wasn't that old but was getting down to the bottom of each bottle) apparently had been exaggerating the readings. So I feel much more confident about leaving the tanks for 18 days than I did before.
thanks

KevinVA
04-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Hey Cindy! Thanks for stopping by while you could. Glad to hear your husband is getting better by the day. That's excellent news! :19:

Also happy to hear about your nitrates. If you remember, I had the same problem with my pH bottles. I would get a false reading on my older bottles. Now I'm using newer bottles and getting more accurate readings across the board. Seems like this can happen to any of the API tests. Their expiration seems to be contingent on how much they're used and when.

Well, the only thing I can attribute your lower pH to is plants and driftwood. Not sure what else, besides co2, would cause your pH to drop.

gronlaura
04-17-2014, 09:32 PM
I would test the pH prior to and after your PWCs and do an additional pH test mid-way between PWCs for 3-4 weeks. If it remains stable, I wouldn't worry. Your KH is what determines how stable (buffered) your pH is - the higher your KH reading, the more stable (and harder to adjust) your pH will be. With a reading of 4-5, Kevin is probably right that your plants and driftwood are lowering it.

fishmommie
04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
thanks to both of you.
And Laura - that's what I'd decided to do.

And plants are the major change in all of my tanks so hopefully that's the issue.

mommy1
04-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Well, the only thing I can attribute your lower pH to is plants and driftwood. Not sure what else, besides co2, would cause your pH to drop.
This is what I am thinking also and pH fluctuations due to co2 is not really an issue. Remember, pH in outdoor ponds and natural bodies of water fluctuate quite a bit every day, sometimes more than a full point, due to plants and co2. It isn't an issue as long as the GH is stable. As said before, if your fish are acting normal don't worry about it.. I know that is easier said than done.

fishmommie
04-17-2014, 09:55 PM
This is what I am thinking also and pH fluctuations due to co2 is not really an issue. Remember, pH in outdoor ponds and natural bodies of water fluctuate quite a bit every day, sometimes more than a full point, due to plants and co2. It isn't an issue as long as the GH is stable. As said before, if your fish are acting normal don't worry about it.. I know that is easier said than done.

thanks again. All seem to be thriving in all 3 tanks.
So glad I switched to live plants. this 15 gallon looks like a perfect under water garden. Accidental on my part to be sure but it's so pretty. Love the neons and the endlers together and the betta is perfectly fine with all of them.

I'm going to read that first article again as soon as I have a chance, see if I can digest more of it and then tackle the others. thanks again for the great info.

gronlaura
04-17-2014, 10:03 PM
I forgot - mucho congrats on the lower nitrates!

fishmommie
04-18-2014, 03:42 AM
I forgot - mucho congrats on the lower nitrates!

thanks! I'm relieved.

Jlorenzo
04-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Sweet looking tank. Looks much better with the changes.

fishmommie
04-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Sweet looking tank. Looks much better with the changes.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I need to post an updated photo - the plants have really taken off in the past month and a half.
Loving this 15 gal - lots of fun small fish fit so well in it.

Taurus
04-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Maintaining a semi-regular water change schedule will help to keep all of your tanks stable and your fish healthy. Enjoy your Easter!

fishmommie
04-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Maintaining a semi-regular water change schedule will help to keep all of your tanks stable and your fish healthy. Enjoy your Easter!

UM ... who was this note for? I'm confused since I never miss a weekly water change. did you get on the wrong thread Mr Larry??
Happy Easter to you too.

Taurus
04-19-2014, 10:41 PM
UM ... who was this note for? I'm confused since I never miss a weekly water change. did you get on the wrong thread Mr Larry??
Happy Easter to you too.

Umm..you..good..nope, right thread, thanks. You still sound worried about the whole pH, GH, kH thing. Don't be. :ssmile:

Oh heck and I forgot... :waveyellow:

fishmommie
04-19-2014, 11:22 PM
LOL Okay. It sounded like you were telling me that if i just straightened up and did some regular water changes (like I WASN"T), things would be okay.

NOW I get it. It's because I'm left handed you know. And playing part time nurse, part time stable mucker, part time writer and no full time anything. My thoughts are a little fractured.
So - thanks for the encouragement :o)

Umm..you..good..nope, right thread, thanks. You still sound worried about the whole pH, GH, kH thing. Don't be. :ssmile:

Oh heck and I forgot... :waveyellow:

cm12setx
04-20-2014, 11:05 PM
That turned in to a neat tank. Hope you had a good easter. And your husband recovers great from the opperation.

fishmommie
04-20-2014, 11:44 PM
That turned in to a neat tank. Hope you had a good easter. And your husband recovers great from the opperation.

Thanks. Appreciate it. I really love the looks of it. Had a lot of great suggestions from my 'peeps' on the AC :o)

fishmommie
04-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Thanks. Appreciate it. I really love the looks of it. Had a lot of great suggestions from my 'peeps' on the AC :o)

We had a great day - the kids came home. grands hunted eggs in the yard and hubby, while not too mobile, really had a good day.
Hope yours was the same.

steeler58
04-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Glad your day was great.

fishmommie
04-21-2014, 01:25 AM
Glad your day was great.

Thanks Lee. Hope you had a good one too.

fishmommie
04-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Last but not least, this is my 3rd journal update.
I LOVE this 15 gallon tank. The combo of the blue/red crown tail betta, the endlers and the neons is just stunning. the plants are going crazy - again, with only a weekly dose of Flourish comprehensive and a weekly W/C. of course I have the MTS but the assassin may be whittling away at them. nice big glue apple snail is thriving and 3 nerites snails that, fortunately have not been bothered by the assassin. He should leave them alone - he as plenty of mts to snack on.
The mts only hang on the glass for a short while in the morning and then they go back to the soil so our love hate relationship continues.

I've got to get some video of this tank soon. The way I planted it turned out to be the luckiest accident I've ever had because it looks like a lush little tropical jungle with the appropriate sized plants where they should be and the scaping almost looks like someone who knew what they were doing did it. Like I said - happy accident.

When I first started this as a 5 gal planted tank, I added a banana plant. It floated for some time and sent off several pretty little lily pads over the course of several months. then the bananas deteriorated for some reason and I thought the plant was going to die. I cleaned up the rot from the dead bananas and tucked it into the substrate. One by one the leaves yellowed and died.
Then, when it was down to about 2 leaves, something happened and some new little leaves sprouted from the roots. And now, as of today, it has 6 healthy little leave and a brand new lily pad is shooting toward the surface. Makes me smile.

KevinVA
04-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Pics before you leave!

Sandz
04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
+5 to that!

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 01:37 PM
a couple of still shots of the 15

This, obviously is a FTS. I always have difficulty with the correct lighting :o(

Here's a shot from the right corner front of my little banana plant that I thought was going to die. You can see the almost thread thin lily leaf stem shooting for the surface. Also notice the vintage 1940's white ceramic mermaid. My only touch of whimsy in any of my tanks. I just couldn't resist her on ebay. I don't even have my bubble wands any more :o(

I'm downloading a video on U-tube right now. I'll upload it later today.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 01:59 PM
the video upload didn't take as long as I thought it would.
As you will see, the back left side of the tank is a little sparce. The cambodia has thinned a little - I think it's because the hornwort always ends up floating in that corner of the tank and blocks the light. Since the betta loves the floating hornwort and often sleeps in it (on a pothos leave that is floating in the middle of it) I'm reluctant to move it.

Nice growth on the dwarf bronze wendti crypts in the left front corner. nice growth on my amazon swords on the right. I also have a tall, long leaf multiple stemmed plant in the back middle that I suspect is some type of hygro but I honestly don't know. The stems are so long they are bent over and floating on top. I really love it.

Difficult to get shots of the endlers because they are so small but you can get an idea. I truly love them and believe it or not, they've grown since putting them in there.

Okay - let me know what changes you'd make :o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtNeTtMLAo&feature=youtu.be

Sandz
04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Awesome visuals Cindy!

KevinVA
04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Tank looks beautiful, Cindy. The video is private, though. I must say that Wendtii crypts have become recent favorites of mine. I really love the coloring and shape of the leaves, plus how bushy they are. I might throw a couple in my 75gal.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Tank looks beautiful, Cindy. The video is private, though. I must say that Wendtii crypts have become recent favorites of mine. I really love the coloring and shape of the leaves, plus how bushy they are. I might throw a couple in my 75gal.

Try it again, Kevin. I hadn't realized that I hadn't published to the public. Let me know if you can see it now.

Taurus
04-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Stunning tank Cindy. The neons look great.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Stunning tank Cindy. The neons look great.

thanks buddy. means a lot coming from you. Seriously. you've been here for me since the beginning.

were you able to view the video?

Taurus
04-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Yep, could see the video fine.

steeler58
04-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Your tank is awesome.!! It's realy come together. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a healthy bunch of Neons.

mommy1
04-23-2014, 06:06 PM
That's a nice looking tank. Now you will never want another tank without plants again. Unless you start in with the African cichlids.

Slaphppy7
04-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Looks awesome Cindy, thanks for the video! planted tanks are really not difficult, if I can do it anyone can!

What would I change?....that's easy, NOTHING

KevinVA
04-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Just watched the video, Cindy. Your fish all look healthy and vibrant. Those neons are something else. Don't you love the small fish? I really like the schools in my 20. =]

I'm in agreement with Matt... I wouldn't change anything.

Taurus
04-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Looks like a healthy bunch of Neons.

They seem very healthy, best I've seen in a while which isn't saying a whole lot.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Your tank is awesome.!! It's realy come together. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a healthy bunch of Neons.

thanks Lee. Like I said - it's been a happy accident. Those neons started out very small so I'm thrilled with their growth and how active and healthy they are. I don't care if they are 'common' fish. I love them. :o)

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
That's a nice looking tank. Now you will never want another tank without plants again. Unless you start in with the African cichlids.

Thanks! appreciate it. And you're so right. I love the planted tanks. I was steered away from them when I first started (by my LFS). They had me afraid of algae and dead plants and difficulty balancing things. They were very wrong.
but then - it's been all the help I got here on the AC that got me into the plants. LOVE them.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Looks awesome Cindy, thanks for the video! planted tanks are really not difficult, if I can do it anyone can!

What would I change?....that's easy, NOTHING

Awe, thanks. I appreciate that. Your tank looks so great I've had a lot of wonderful examples to learn from.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Just watched the video, Cindy. Your fish all look healthy and vibrant. Those neons are something else. Don't you love the small fish? I really like the schools in my 20. =]

I'm in agreement with Matt... I wouldn't change anything.

Again thanks! much appreciated. And yes, I'm gaining a whole new appreciation for the smaller fish. The endlers absolutely fascinate me. But I'll always love neons.

Fish I still want someday: killis (you guys are really making them sound desirable) rummys and a pair of GBR's. But until then, I'm happy with what I've got

Taurus
04-23-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't care if they are 'common' fish. I love them. :o)

Neons are still one of the most beautiful "common" tropical fish to keep, especially for smaller tanks. And to be honest healthy neons are not all that common.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
They seem very healthy, best I've seen in a while which isn't saying a whole lot.

I've lost about 3 over the last 6 months - but they were the larger ones that I got over 2 years ago. So I'm pretty happy that they've done so well. I love neons. I think they were the first fish to attracted me to keeping an aquarium many years ago when I set up a 10 gallon, didn't know anything and ended up tearing it down within a few months because everything died :o(
Oh to have had access to the AC then

Sandz
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
GBRs in the 30 isnt a bad idea Cindy...

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:18 PM
GBRs in the 30 isnt a bad idea Cindy...

I've sure thought about it. Their profile indicates they would be fine with my angel and visa versa.
I'm comfortable that there would be room because the tank is nicely planted now and there's not too much ground traffic (4 cory cats - my original 4) and the pleco. Also, parameters are always rock solid steady. PH GH and KH are perfect for GBRs and the tank is well established.

Hum ... maybe this summer. My LFS had some beautiful GBR's last time I was there, some Electric Blues and some yellow ram pairs. All of them were gorgeous.

I had a pair of GBR once before and loved them. The only reason I lost them was my own stupidity. I've really missed them.

Hum again .... NOW you've done it. I think I'm seeing rams in my future....

KevinVA
04-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Yes! I would love to see a new pair of GBRs in our little community again. Mine have actually been working out quite nicely. Not sure if it's because my tank is much older/established now, or that I got them from a breeder, instead of Petsmart, but they seem much healthier so far.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Neons are still one of the most beautiful "common" tropical fish to keep, especially for smaller tanks. And to be honest healthy neons are not all that common.

That's what I've heard about neons. That a lot of people don't have luck with them. My LFS must have a good supplier. I've never had a 'die-off' or even a hint of illness. The ones I lost, I feel confident were do to old age.

Sandz
04-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I've sure thought about it. Their profile indicates they would be fine with my angel and visa versa.
I'm comfortable that there would be room because the tank is nicely planted now and there's not too much ground traffic (4 cory cats - my original 4) and the pleco. Also, parameters are always rock solid steady. PH GH and KH are perfect for GBRs and the tank is well established.

Hum ... maybe this summer. My LFS had some beautiful GBR's last time I was there, some Electric Blues and some yellow ram pairs. All of them were gorgeous.

I had a pair of GBR once before and loved them. The only reason I lost them was my own stupidity. I've really missed them.

Hum again .... NOW you've done it. I think I'm seeing rams in my future....

Hey you have never regretted taking my advice! At least not yet!

Electric blue rams are less hardy but more flashy... I like them a lot.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Yes! I would love to see a new pair of GBRs in our little community again. Mine have actually been working out quite nicely. Not sure if it's because my tank is much older/established now, or that I got them from a breeder, instead of Petsmart, but they seem much healthier so far.

The only reason mine died was because I decided to move them from the 90 gal to the 30. I never dreamed that they would react so badly to the move from one tank to another. Apparently, just the idea of moving stressed them. Water parameters were exactly the same in both tanks. But I took perfectly healthy fish, moved them and the next morning they were breathing hard and by evening they were dead. Broke my heart.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Hey you have never regretted taking my advice! At least not yet!

Electric blue rams are less hardy but more flashy... I like them a lot.

Nope. Never regretted it. I think we're looking at a done deal here. It's just a question of when. And yeah, I think I read that about the electric blues. I'll probably go with the GBR's - but the yellows are sure a pretty pop of color. so ... we'll see. You guys will be the first to know.

Slaphppy7
04-23-2014, 08:36 PM
GBR's are really cool, love 'em...may have a pair in Lauren's future tank

steeler58
04-23-2014, 08:59 PM

I never thought of them that way, but Larry's right, they have become a "common" fish. Kind of like Cindy said "one of the fish that "hooked me", LOL.. Than I saw Cardinals............

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 09:26 PM
GBR's are really cool, love 'em...may have a pair in Lauren's future tank

good choice. Just make certain her tank is well established before adding them.

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I never thought of them that way, but Larry's right, they have become a "common" fish. Kind of like Cindy said "one of the fish that "hooked me", LOL.. Than I saw Cardinals............

Yup! there's just something about the neons - maybe because they are so small - that speak to me. So much color in such tiny fish. And yes, I know cardinals have more color but I guess I like the compactness of the neons.

steeler58
04-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I'd take all three incuding the "Green neons" I keep in my 50g. I think you may have seen this video of the "greens" before, they look like Cardinals in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p7BkHXpbWFM

AmyLynn
04-23-2014, 09:36 PM
What a beautiful little tank! I've enjoyed going through your journal and watching the changes. Great job!!

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 09:51 PM
I'd take all three incuding the "Green neons" I keep in my 50g. I think you may have seen this video of the "greens" before, they look like Cardinals in it.

I'm not sure I've seen that before, Lee. thanks for sharing. What a beautiful tank and video.
OH man - I can see my future now - tetras that are more than neons. Plants that are more than green LOL

fishmommie
04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
What a beautiful little tank! I've enjoyed going through your journal and watching the changes. Great job!!

Thanks AmyLynn. It's sure been fun bringing the tank around.

Gorgeous Palamino btw. my hubby has a new little filly in the barn - our first palomino. Otherwise we have a big buckskin, a bay, and a black and white crop-out.

AmyLynn
04-23-2014, 10:19 PM
I love finding kindred spirits. Would love to see pics of the ponies some time. :)

gronlaura
04-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Great photos and video. Love your tank!

Sandz
04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Nope. Never regretted it. I think we're looking at a done deal here. It's just a question of when. And yeah, I think I read that about the electric blues. I'll probably go with the GBR's - but the yellows are sure a pretty pop of color. so ... we'll see. You guys will be the first to know.

Yellows are a line bred ram that are similar or same as the Gold Ram - its just another line bred version that is weaker overall.

fishmommie
04-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Great photos and video. Love your tank!

thanks Laura. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

fishmommie
04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Yellows are a line bred ram that are similar or same as the Gold Ram - its just another line bred version that is weaker overall.

Good to know. GBR here I come then :o) They'll look pretty with Pearl :o)

SeaLady
04-27-2014, 02:49 AM
what a sweet little tank! The plants look terrific and so do the fish!

Hope your hubby is doing well...

fishmommie
04-27-2014, 03:08 AM
what a sweet little tank! The plants look terrific and so do the fish!

Hope your hubby is doing well...

Thanks. The betta wasn't cooperative with the latest shots but if you go back to frames 38 and 49 you'll get a good look at him.
Hubby is coming along very well. thanks for checking.

fishmommie
05-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Quick update for posterity :o)
This tank did amazingly well during my 17 day absence. Hubby did a great job feeding. Nitrates were only 10ppm after 17 days w/o a W/C. Of course, they have fresh water now but I was very pleased.
Thanks again for all the help getting my tanks in shape for my absence.

Slaphppy7
05-23-2014, 05:38 PM
That's great to hear, Cindy....and hey, welcome back!...how was your vacation?....fabulous, I'm betting

Knightia
05-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Just catching up with this - looking great!

gronlaura
05-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Welcome back! Glad all went well. Trip photos????

fishmommie
05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Welcome back! Glad all went well. Trip photos????

Thanks, Laura and thanks for the condolences on my other thread as well. One of these days I'll post some photos ... no time to go through them right now, unfortunately :o(

Sandz
05-26-2014, 08:03 PM
When you do get them up - we all want to see the journey! Glad you made it back!

fishmommie
05-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Well, just when I think everything is super fine - Raylan, our gorgeous crown tail betta, died today. No clue what happened.
He has been healthy since we got him over a year ago. He was a tiny little thing then and grew up to be a beautiful fish. He'd been a little lethargic lately - but he's never been a really active fish. He ate well the day before but not so much yesterday and this morning he didn't eat.
I just found him behind the filter intake tube - totally gone - and looking just as beautiful as he had always looked. No signs of any fungus or bloating or discoloration.
Of course the first thing I did was check water parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates less than 5ppm, PH 6.8

I made a weekly water yesterday like I always do. So I'm totally stymied.

Anyway, Dan - if you happen to read this - you're not the only one.

RIP little buddy. You were one beautiful fish and we'll miss you.

steeler58
05-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Sorry about Raylan :( My nephew gave me two female crown tails, that he had bred and raised himself and they only lived a year and a half themsleves.

FishDan
05-28-2014, 12:05 AM
I know Mommie. Sorry you lost your Betta. They are more like pets than any other fish IMO. I used to have a plakat and a CT myself.

fishmommie
05-28-2014, 12:18 AM
thanks, guys. And agreed. Bettas are very personable. I'll miss him shooting to the surface expecting me to feed him. Hubby's sad too. I really bought Raylan for him as his 15 gal is in his sunroom/mancave.

JudiJetson
05-28-2014, 01:49 AM
Oh geez Cindy, so so sorry to hear about Raylan....such a beautiful betta. He had a great life in your care and I know he will be missed by you and your hubby.

fishmommie
05-28-2014, 03:12 AM
thanks Judi. appreciate it.

RiversGirl
05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm also very sorry to hear that you lost your betta. Sounds like he lived out his life expectancy in excellent, loving care.

fishmommie
05-28-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm also very sorry to hear that you lost your betta. Sounds like he lived out his life expectancy in excellent, loving care.

thanks for that but sadly, he should have lived longer. that's the trouble with those poor bettas that live in those tiny containers until someone takes pity on them. they just aren't as healthy as those raised by special breeders in the states.

mommy1
05-28-2014, 05:02 PM
Aww sorry to hear about your betta.

Slaphppy7
05-28-2014, 05:34 PM
So sorry for your loss, Cindy

fishmommie
05-28-2014, 06:06 PM
thanks Mommy and Slap. I've decided I'm not going to get another betta to replace him. He had the best of care, was in a perfect tank - 15 gal planted - with some neons and endlers and should have lived a long, healthy life. He wasn't even 2 years old as far as I can guess - he was the smallest betta I've ever seen when I bought him, then watched him grow to full size over the next months.

Someday, maybe but unless I rescue one from a LFS, I plan to order one from a source the breeds them here in the states. Pricey, I know, but hopefully, he will live longer. But that's a ways away.
Thanks again. We all know how it feels.

steeler58
05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
I'ts funny as a kid a Betta was one of those fish I always wanted. When I finaly got one I would never have thought to put one in the little "betta bowl's". It was in the main tank to show it off or nothing. It was not untill years later I started seeing people keep them in those. I was still young and very Opinionated and told people they were wrong to do this, converted a few but most just looked at me like I was crazy LOL!! Anyway my point is you gave your fish a very good home, better than he would have gotten by going home with some kid to live in a "darn betta bowl".

fishmommie
05-28-2014, 09:33 PM
I'ts funny as a kid a Betta was one of those fish I always wanted. When I finaly got one I would never have thought to put one in the little "betta bowl's". It was in the main tank to show it off or nothing. It was not untill years later I started seeing people keep them in those. I was still young and very Opinionated and told people they were wrong to do this, converted a few but most just looked at me like I was crazy LOL!! Anyway my point is you gave your fish a very good home, better than he would have gotten by going home with some kid to live in a "darn betta bowl".

Good for you, Lee. Even as a kid you knew what was best for the fish. And I know Raylan got excellent care. Just feel so bad that he had to go.

gronlaura
05-28-2014, 10:57 PM
RIP, Raylan.

fishmommie
05-29-2014, 12:12 AM
RIP, Raylan.
THANKS, Laura. appreciate it.

darkmerlin21
05-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Sorry about your betta. They really have such great personalities.. like the dogs of the fish world! Sounds like he had a good life with you.

Slaphppy7
05-29-2014, 12:51 AM
Cindy,
Why not rescue another?

Too soon?

I know you want a pure bred or whatever, but....you already have the home for one...and...you know?

fishmommie
05-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Thanks darkmerlin

Matt - it breaks my heart to see them die. Knowing that a rescue betta already has several strikes against it in the health department is making me gun shy. if I could rescue them all and put them in one tank to live out their days, I would. But I can't so I need to think long and hard before I set myself up for the inevitable heartbreak.
Wow, that sounded melodramatic. Sorry about that.

I've been thinking back to when I was concerned about the low PH in this tank until I checked GH and KH and we pretty much decided that the PH was low because of the plants and since the fish were acting fine, there was no problem. Now I'm wondering --- maybe there was too much fluctuation weekly when I made my weekly W/C for the betta. Tap water is around 7.2 but the tank water after a w/c is only 6.8.

I was going to monitor PH several times a day after I discovered the low PH and see what the readings were, however, life got a bit complex and i never did it.
Maybe I'm looking for trouble where there is none but it's frustrating. How does what appears to be a perfectly healthy fish die without apparent cause the day after a W/C?
I'll get going on those readings and let you know my findings.

KevinVA
05-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Well, very happy to know that your husband can take care of your fish without issue. thumbs2: Glad the tank was nice and healthy when you got back, but obviously very sorry to hear about Raylan. Wasn't too long ago that I lost my little guy... It is heartbreaking, because they're such beautiful fish with so much character. I'd mark them up there with cichlids as one of the more personable fish in the hobby.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with your water params, Cindy. I'm willing to bet it was just a result of having been cared for improperly in his youth.

Just catching up with this - looking great!

Welcome back!!! You've been missed, FF. Hope to see you around here more often. =]

fishmommie
05-29-2014, 10:04 PM
...very sorry to hear about Raylan. Wasn't too long ago that I lost my little guy... It is heartbreaking, because they're such beautiful fish with so much character. I'd mark them up there with cichlids as one of the more personable fish in the hobby.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with your water params, Cindy. I'm willing to bet it was just a result of having been cared for improperly in his youth.
Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate hearing that. I could make myself crazy playing the demented chemist, filling my test tubes, setting my timers ... and in the end, what can I really do about it anyway? i don't want to mess with the PH for fear of making things worse. I can't do anything about the Gh or Kh. So all I can really do is keep the water clean which is what I've always done.

I'm thinking about a pair of GBR's for the 15. Need to go near my LFS next thursday. What do you want to bet I come up with a reason to stop and look around?

KevinVA
05-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate hearing that. I could make myself crazy playing the demented chemist, filling my test tubes, setting my timers ... and in the end, what can I really do about it anyway? i don't want to mess with the PH for fear of making things worse. I can't do anything about the Gh or Kh. So all I can really do is keep the water clean which is what I've always done.

I'm thinking about a pair of GBR's for the 15. Need to go near my LFS next thursday. What do you want to bet I come up with a reason to stop and look around?

lol, I wouldn't bet against those odds. Sounds like a given to me. ;P I hope you do get a pair. They really are so fun to have.

JudiJetson
05-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Mommies coming home with GBR's!

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Mommies coming home with GBR's!

Maybe .... :o)

steeler58
05-30-2014, 03:41 AM
I think they would be a GREAT choice :)

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 01:16 PM
I think they would be a GREAT choice :)

Well that soaks it. Most likely the only thing that will keep me from bringing them home now is if they don't have any :o)
Thanks Lee.

Slaphppy7
05-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Aren't they a bit touchy to keep?....I mean, not as hardy as the electric blues?

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Aren't they a bit touchy to keep?....I mean, not as hardy as the electric blues?

What I understand is that the golds and electric blues aren't as hardy as the original German Blue Rams.
Is it possible that you're thinking of a comparison between GBRs and Bolivian Rams? If so, yes. Bolivians are hardier than GBRs but not as brilliantly colored.
I had a pair of rams once before. the male terrorized the female to the point where he had bitten off most of her tail before I discovered how bad it was. I separated them then. the female's tail grew back over time but she died several months later. I suspect the original stress was too much for her?
The male did well in my 90 for several months. Then I decided to move him to the 30 where he'd stand out more. The next morning after I moved him, he was dead. The angel wasn't in the 30 then so it wasn't her. I think the shock of moving him was too stressful.

so I know what I'm getting into with the GBRs. They are picky little things. I'm hoping that since the 15 is really mature and since there only neons and endlers in that tank that could never be considered a threat, that it will be the perfect little home for them. It's nicely planted, has a great piece of driftwood should they wish to hide and I'll have a rock cave constructed for them (or a cocoanut shell - still deciding on that) before I move them in. Nitrates also run under 5ppm all the time.
Normally I would QT new fish BUT GBR's don't like 'new water' and I'm afraid they'd be stressed in a bare bottom QT. I'll also make sure from my indy LFS that he's had them for at least 2 weeks. I trust him and his staff completely.
Keep your fingers crossed for me and them. Next Thursday is the day.

Slaphppy7
05-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Yes, I think I WAS thinking of the bolivians, now that you mention it. Good deal, then, can't wait to see them once they settle down.

Do you have a recent pic of the 15 gallon?

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Yes, I think I WAS thinking of the bolivians, now that you mention it. Good deal, then, can't wait to see them once they settle down.

Do you have a recent pic of the 15 gallon?

I'll snap one of those tonight too :o)

KevinVA
05-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Thursday?! You're going to make us wait 6 days?!:!?#?@ ;P Just kidding.

Can't wait until you get a pair, Cindy. I think you'll find they'll do much better. Even with the drop in pH, the ich and raised temps, my GBRs are doing quite well in the 75gal, which is a very established tank (and has been through the ringer). =] I guess we'll see how they take the lowered temps, when the time comes, but I think you'll find in an established tank, they'll do quite well.

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Thursday?! You're going to make us wait 6 days?!:!?#?@ ;P Just kidding.

Can't wait until you get a pair, Cindy. I think you'll find they'll do much better. Even with the drop in pH, the ich and raised temps, my GBRs are doing quite well in the 75gal, which is a very established tank (and has been through the ringer). =] I guess we'll see how they take the lowered temps, when the time comes, but I think you'll find in an established tank, they'll do quite well.
Thanks Kevin. I figure they've got a better chance than most.
Just wait - I'll get there and he'll be out of them :o)

RiversGirl
05-30-2014, 08:16 PM
These will be fun to see you add! I'm delighted for you to get a pair, too.

steeler58
05-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Maybe the 50g needs a pair of these.....................:think:

darkmerlin21
05-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan! I hope they have some for you. My biggest fear is to finally find a place that sells the fish I want, get all excited and then have them sold out when I arrive to purchase them!

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Maybe the 50g needs a pair of these.....................:think:

Who's 50 gallon? Not mine LOL because I don't have one.:l24:

steeler58
05-30-2014, 10:13 PM
No silly, mine, LOL!!

fishmommie
05-30-2014, 10:32 PM
No silly, mine, LOL!!

Whew. I thought maybe there was going to be a big box delivered to my door~
And yes - you should get a pair!

KevinVA
05-31-2014, 01:17 AM
No silly, mine, LOL!!

I like that you're trying cichlids again. =] How are the Dorisgeras going? I guess I need to catch up on the yapper journals tonight.

steeler58
05-31-2014, 05:38 AM
I like that you're trying cichlids again. =] How are the Dorisgeras going? I guess I need to catch up on the yapper journals tonight.

The Dorisgeras are doing great, I now think I have two males, since the smaller one grew a little more his fins are longer and he has darker color. The bigger one still runs the whole front of the tank, the smaller one try's to challenge him once in awile but ends up running.

I kept GR's in the past, about the only cichlid I've kept besides Angelfish. I admit you have caught my interest with some of the other dwarf's.

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Well, I was determined to get a pair of rams at my LFS yesterday but, he was out of them. I could have gone to pet co and found a pair but I don't like to buy my fish any place but this indy store.
So ... I decided to make a purchase anyway. Lesson learned: Never say you are never going to do something. Because I did something I wasn't going to do. You'll see in the attached video. Please welcome: Junior. :o)

I'll get a pair of rams later for the 30. There's plenty of room in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXryZU6AHuo&feature=em-upload_owner

gronlaura
06-04-2014, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the AC, Junior! He's very handsome!!!

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the AC, Junior! He's very handsome!!!

LOL Thanks Laura and man oh man is he a beauty. He's just a little guy right now. I'm eager to see what he looks like when he's fully grown. So far he hasn't figured out that my hand's the one that feeds him. Hopefully, we'll get it all worked out soon.

Slaphppy7
06-04-2014, 12:51 AM
OK, I just knew it was gonna happen...but maybe not this quickly :ssmile:

He's a beauty...where'd you find him?...did you just acclimate and put him in today?...if so, WHY are the lights on super-bright, and WHY are you harrassing him with that damn camera??? :hmm3grin2orange:

I am SO thrilled you went and did it...that little guy is very lucky, he has it "made in the shade" in a gorgeous tank for years to come

Well done, my dear

darkmerlin21
06-04-2014, 12:53 AM
Beautiful boy you've bought there! I'm sure it won't take him long to figure out who the hand that feeds him is and he'll be greeting you at the front of the tank!

steeler58
06-04-2014, 01:05 AM
You could not wait! Good on you to get "back in the saddle" already, very nice looking Betta, and this tank may be the best looking of the three!!

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 02:41 AM
OK, I just knew it was gonna happen...but maybe not this quickly :ssmile:

He's a beauty...where'd you find him?...did you just acclimate and put him in today?...if so, WHY are the lights on super-bright, and WHY are you harrassing him with that damn camera??? :hmm3grin2orange:

I am SO thrilled you went and did it...that little guy is very lucky, he has it "made in the shade" in a gorgeous tank for years to come

Well done, my dear

Thanks Matt. He was at my LFS. I got him yesterday so no worries. I drip acclimated then left the lights off.
Turned them on for a while this morning (after daylight) then again tonight.
I was soo not going to get another betta. But when there were no GBR's I figured it was a sign. and I've never seen a half moon before in person - he just wore me down, the longer I looked at him :o)

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 02:42 AM
Beautiful boy you've bought there! I'm sure it won't take him long to figure out who the hand that feeds him is and he'll be greeting you at the front of the tank!

Thanks. He sure stopped me in my tracks :o)
Yeah, I hope so. So far, he doesn't get it. but I fed extra flakes tonight to the neons and endlers and he didn't hesitate to get right in the mix and chow down. At least I know he's eating. And if he wants flakes, that's fine by me. I'll keep trying the betta food and I'm sure he'll eventually figure it out.

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 02:46 AM
You could not wait! Good on you to get "back in the saddle" already, very nice looking Betta, and this tank may be the best looking of the three!!

Yeah - I had to do it. My hubby really likes bettas and since this is technically HIS tank, I decided to go ahead and get this guy when there were no rams. Tom's really thrilled with him. He's going to be a sight when he's fully grown.

And you know what else? I think I might have to agree with you about the tank. I bumbled around and accidentally came up with a winner. I think it's my favorite. And the other beauty of it is, it takes me like 5 minutes to change out the water every week, dose with Flourish Comprehensive and rinse out a couple sponges. That's it. No vac, no wiping down the glass, no fuss, no muss. Fingers crossed that things stay that way :o)

mommy1
06-04-2014, 03:31 AM
Haha, I knew you wouldn't wait too long for another betta. The plants in that tank are growing in very nicely. We are always going on about bigger tanks but we shouldn't snub our noses at the smaller ones. I've seen some really nice looking smaller tanks. As long as we remember small tank = small fish they can be just as stunning and fun as the big tanks.

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Haha, I knew you wouldn't wait too long for another betta. The plants in that tank are growing in very nicely. We are always going on about bigger tanks but we shouldn't snub our noses at the smaller ones. I've seen some really nice looking smaller tanks. As long as we remember small tank = small fish they can be just as stunning and fun as the big tanks.

Yeah. I caved really fast :o) And I agree. I never dreamed I would enjoy this little tank so much. It's so easy to care for and the plants just seem to grow on their own. I may fiddle with a bit in the future and clear out a space in the front if I can find some room for those smaller crypts somewhere. they're so healthy but they've grown in pretty thick.

RiversGirl
06-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Beautiful tank -- as everyone has already said -- and lovely new addition!

If I might ask you: How many neons are in this 15 gal? (I'm shamelessly plotting for my future a bit) I like the look of those little endlers too.

What is your secret to such a low maintenance tank and keeping it so... well-kept looking?

KevinVA
06-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Great addition, Cindy! Junior is a very handsome fellow. Seems a bit shy right now, but I'm sure he'll be out and about in no time.

I'm sorry you didn't get the GBRs, but I'm very happy that you got this beautiful little guy. They're such characters in their own right and will be a welcome addition to the 15gal.

As for the scaping? Beautifully done. It truly looks wonderful. Be proud, momma, be very proud!

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Beautiful tank -- as everyone has already said -- and lovely new addition!
Thanks. he's a beauty for sure.

If I might ask you: How many neons are in this 15 gal? (I'm shamelessly plotting for my future a bit) I like the look of those little endlers too.
I've got 10 neons at last count. and 8 endlers. they're such little things - not even an inch. With the betta it's well stocked but with the plants nitrates are always less than 5ppm

What is your secret to such a low maintenance tank and keeping it so... well-kept looking?

Secret? Luck. Seriously. Well and some great advice from the Fish Flakes and consistent weekly water changes. I also have double filtration and have tucked sponges into the water spill to keep the flow from being too fast for the small fish.
I used to have a 5 gal with the betta and 6 neons (overstocked) and I always fought brown algae. It wasn't planted so I decided to switch to plants. Even then, I fought algae and the plants just didn't grow. So, I opted to go a little bigger - this 15 long - and add a few more fish. Ever since then, it's like everything kicked into place. I make weekly W/C of about 30%. The substrate is mostly flourite with some black sand on top. When I added the extra fish, I added 2 nerites snails and an apple snail. I swear they were instrumental in turning the tank around.
I now dose with 1/4 cap full of flourish comprehensive each week, feed lightly and that's it. I never have to wipe down the glass anymore and I don't vac the substrate. The lights are on for 3 hours or so in the morning then off until around 5:00 or 6:00 pm and they get turned off when hubby goes to bed- usually around 10:00 pm
Again, I had a lot of great advice from the Fish Flakes - that's what led me to the flourite and the flourish.

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Great addition, Cindy! Junior is a very handsome fellow. Seems a bit shy right now, but I'm sure he'll be out and about in no time.

I'm sorry you didn't get the GBRs, but I'm very happy that you got this beautiful little guy. They're such characters in their own right and will be a welcome addition to the 15gal.

As for the scaping? Beautifully done. It truly looks wonderful. Be proud, momma, be very proud!
Coming from the king of scaping, that's very much appreciated. Thanks

As to the GBR's - I have a feeling a pair will end up in the 30 this fall :o)

RiversGirl
06-04-2014, 08:53 PM
fishmommie ~ Thanks for those answers. I again took notes. One of my future (dream) tanks will be a Betta tank. I'll provide him a good home or else I won't do it at all. Thanks for your inspiration.

steeler58
06-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Coming from the king of scaping, that's very much appreciated. Thanks

As to the GBR's - I have a feeling a pair will end up in the 30 this fall :o)

The King of Green!!

fishmommie
06-04-2014, 11:21 PM
The King of Green!!

For sure!!!