PDA

View Full Version : Looking to set up a Discus tank... Again.

souly
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
So sometime ago, a few years back, I was planing to set up a discus tank back. It was a 46g bowfront, and I had largely talked with Spardas about what to do for that tank. WELL, it appears that Spardas has left, and no longer will be willing to do a 46g bowfront.

So heres somewhat I'd like to do:
1. An 80g or 100g tank
2. 6 discus for good grouping, thinking blue diamonds?
3. Make it a community with other compatible fish
4. Plant the tank
5. Make the tank designed like something you would see Takashi Amano do, toughie I know.

So my questions for you fellow fish keepers are:
1. What fish are the best for compatiblity? Depending on that, I'll choose my tank size to best make all fish breads happy with schools etc
2. Can I mix different type of discus? Or would it be better to have one type only.
3. Substrate? I was thinking of doing Aqua Soil- NEW Amazonia (http://www.adgshop.com/Aqua_Soil_Amazonia_p/104-031.htm)
5. What type of plants are best for Discus? I've heard that they will in fact eat certain ones?
6. Type of filtration that is best for a discus tank?
7. Lighting will probably be decided by plant stock.

mojosodope
05-14-2013, 04:17 PM
1. I recommend a school of cardnals/ neons or denison barbs. Don't get aggressive fish or fish that will outcompete them for food as discus are slow eaters.

2. You can mix and match different strains but I recommend getting all the same size, at least 3.5 inches.

3.I do not recommend this substrate as it will lower the ph in the beginning and it's effect will lessen over time and as you do more water changes. Discus need stability, while Amazonia is a great substrate it is not meant to be used with so many large water changes like discus require.

5. I've never had any discus even nib at plants, they just ignore them completely.

6. Nothing different from any other tanks adequate filtration. An FX5 would be perfect for a 100G. Like previously stated, discus need stability and low - no nitrates so frequent water changes are a necessity.

7: I don't recommend the lighting being too bright otherwise they might hide all the time if not given adequate cover.

I'd like to add that your tank mates and your plants will be subject to compatibility with the temperature. A discus tank will need to be at least 84 degrees, some plants may not be able to cope in that temperature.

steeler58
05-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Souly, I noticed your from Sacramento; I bet you miss the old Capital Aquarium? I was sad to read that it had closed down.

By the way + 1 to Mojosodope's suggestions.

souly
05-14-2013, 07:28 PM
1. I recommend a school of cardnals/ neons or denison barbs. Don't get aggressive fish or fish that will outcompete them for food as discus are slow eaters.

2. You can mix and match different strains but I recommend getting all the same size, at least 3.5 inches.

3.I do not recommend this substrate as it will lower the ph in the beginning and it's effect will lessen over time and as you do more water changes. Discus need stability, while Amazonia is a great substrate it is not meant to be used with so many large water changes like discus require.

5. I've never had any discus even nib at plants, they just ignore them completely.

6. Nothing different from any other tanks adequate filtration. An FX5 would be perfect for a 100G. Like previously stated, discus need stability and low - no nitrates so frequent water changes are a necessity.

7: I don't recommend the lighting being too bright otherwise they might hide all the time if not given adequate cover.

I'd like to add that your tank mates and your plants will be subject to compatibility with the temperature. A discus tank will need to be at least 84 degrees, some plants may not be able to cope in that temperature.

Thanks for the advice. I'll mosey around some plant sites to see if I can get some decent looking low light plants in that temp range.

Souly, I noticed your from Sacramento; I bet you miss the old Capital Aquarium? I was sad to read that it had closed down.

By the way + 1 to Mojosodope's suggestions.

Yes, I was sad to hear when CA when out of business. I had already stop keeping my aquarium around that time, my stock had come from there. It was fun to browse and had good staff.

mojosodope
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Warm_Water_Discus_Plants_s/20.htm

^ There's a pretty decent list, I've found anubias does extremely well also, assuming you don't have soft water.

JudiJetson
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey souly, I'm also just starting a Discus tank but am not brave enough to go planted so I'm really looking forward to seeing your choices. You might consider starting a journal so we can follow along with your progress. I've seen quite a few people go with Marineland double bright leds on their Discus tanks, I'm going with Marineland aquatic life leds since I have them in my current tank with java ferns, anubias and watersprite and they are doing really well. Good luck to you and hope to read more about your plans!

souly
05-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the link, bookmarked!

Still need to figure out what substrate to use...In the past I used PFS mixed with Flourite.

mojosodope
05-14-2013, 11:44 PM
No problem, well depending on your plant choices you can choose different substrates, you can use that mix and supplement with root tabs/liquid ferts or eco complete, that site I linked also sells dirt in gallon sized buckets up to 6 gallons. I haven't bought from them personally but I'm sure someone on this forum has, I just can't recall the name atm.

talldutchie
05-15-2013, 05:12 AM
I'd never keep denisons with discus. It's fast and flow loving fish.

If you want to keep discus, take a good look at your tap water. If that isn't constantly clean then better budget for an RO system or at least an hma filter.

Sandz
05-15-2013, 02:19 PM
1. What fish are the best for compatiblity? Depending on that, I'll choose my tank size to best make all fish breads happy with schools etc

I recommend the biggest tank you can get first off.. The discus need to be the largest fish in the tank. Cardinal tetra, congo tetra, rainbows, a huge list of cory species, german blue rams, appistogramma, african butterfly fish, killifish, the list goes on and on. You just need to avoid aggressive fish such as barbs, serpae/red minors, black fantoms, etc/

2. Can I mix different type of discus? Or would it be better to have one type only.

For show, its always better to have a consistant color (IMO). For personal prefrence or the fish health, it wont matter.

3. Substrate? I was thinking of doing Aqua Soil- NEW Amazonia

That works, same with ADA substrate, Flourite, Eco-Complete... it all works well.

5. What type of plants are best for Discus? I've heard that they will in fact eat certain ones?

Discus are omnivores and preffer black worms and beef heart if given a choice. However, cichlids will be cichlids and they will play with anything in the tank. You can do almost anything with these fish though, no need to get discus safe plants.

6. Type of filtration that is best for a discus tank?

I preffer sponge filters but honestly, the refugium/sump idea is the best for lower flow but effcient tank turn over.

7. Lighting will probably be decided by plant stock.

Discus dont do great in bright light but can tollerate it with enough cover. Just make sure if you choose a brighter light you create areas of releif. I would recommend LED's for the par rating and energy efficientcy.

Also being you are in cali, Kenny's Discus is in Daly City. Hes the best person I know involved in importing great fish. I would strongly recommend him.

souly
05-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah, Daly City is about an 1 and 40 min drive, I'd probably end up paying the same amount of shipping that I would in gas haha.

I wont be able to build this tank till I'm all fully moved into the new house, so this is really my planning states and such.

Sandz
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Planning is the most fun!