PDA

View Full Version : Plant IDing

cbarb
05-12-2013, 09:02 PM

No clue what this plant is. But it has an unlimited amount of stems and new leafs growing, and depending on the type, can i separate it? Put it on driftwood? How do i go about separating?

madagascariensis
05-12-2013, 10:04 PM
cryptocoryne, probably wendtii.
low light and low maintenance. don't put it on driftwood because it's not adapted to grow on hard surfaces and will
die(in fact, most aquarium plants will die if slapped on to a piece of rock or wood. only mosses, ferns and anubias grow on hard surfaces).
you can separate it into little clumps by pulling gently after removing the pot and rockwool. after planting, many cryptocorynes will drop their existing leaves.
this is known as crypt melt and is usually harmless. the plant will regrow leaves once it has adapted to the new water conditions.

cbarb
05-12-2013, 10:24 PM
im switching to sand substrate on Friday so should i keep them in a bucket until then or put them in the gravel? i don't want them to die lol i just separated them into 14 chunks!

cbarb
05-12-2013, 11:53 PM
anyone wanna put their 2 cents in.. i don't want it to die

madagascariensis
05-13-2013, 01:30 AM
if you are going to swith substrate so soon you could juts as well keep it in a bucket. make sure
to have a light source for the plants in the time before planting.