PDA

View Full Version : Did Petco lie to me?

NinjaBoo
05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Hello all! I'm an aquarium noob. I just recently set up my first 10 gallon about a month ago. Things are going really well! However, the more I read, the more I think I have a bristlenose problem. When I picked out my fish, I wanted a "sucker fish" that would stay really small. I checked out the max sizes on the cards at Petco, and I found a little albino one that supposedly only gets 1.5 inches. Everything I see online though, leads me to believe it's an albino bristlenose. Is there a species that stays this small, or do I need to find a new home for the little fellow? It was called a dwarf bristlenose on the card, and it was under $5.00.

Sandz
05-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Dwarf BN and the rubber lips get around 4in. They sell those and common pleco's. After the tank is established and running well, you may look to add some otocinclus if you are set on the fish.

Pray tell... why do you want a "sucker fish" for a 10gal?

Stlouisfish
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Lemme guess - a sucker fish is to "clean" the tank right?

NinjaBoo
05-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I did originally want one for that purpose, yes. Now I know they don't really do that and probably poop more than they clean. I like the fish, though. I enjoy watching it. I am trying to take proper care of it. I have been placing algae wafers in the tank for it. I am going today to get a small piece of driftwood for it, since I read they require that. So, if it's going to get about four inches, do you think I should find another home for it? My tank is currently 15% overstocked, anyway, but I'm very meticulous about scheduled water changes.

Triton
05-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Yes, you should find it another home, usually I wouldn't recommend a BN in any tank smaller than a 20g. So, for now find someone that will take it (or buy it) and wait till you get a larger tank

NinjaBoo
05-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Thank you so much! :)

talldutchie
05-08-2013, 07:13 PM
There's a single dwarf species tgat maxes out at 70mm tops. I got three of those. To the best of my knowledge there's no albino version of that. So yes the shop misled you.

Krispyz
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I feel your pain, NinjaBoo... I'm giving away my albino pleco today that I got for my first 10 gallon because Petco told me they'd only get 2" long. Noobs Unite.

Taurus
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
I feel your pain, NinjaBoo... I'm giving away my albino pleco today that I got for my first 10 gallon because Petco told me they'd only get 2" long. Noobs Unite.

Just a comment here people. It's the fishkeeper's job to do the research before you invest or buy anything from any LFS or pet supply chain. Do not count on employees of a pet supply store or chain to be knowledgeable fishkeepers. That leads to bad choices, obviously.

Armed with knowledge, bad choices can be avoided. How do you know if an employee is knowledgeable? Ask them if they keep their own tanks and how long they've been at it. Oh, and you can always check here first. :ssmile:

Goes to 11!
05-15-2013, 02:33 AM
:goodpost:

What he said.
:22:

Tiari
05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
I feel for your confusion, and that you were misled by the pet store. New aquarists have no idea they can't trust box chain pet stores for aquarium and fish advice until they get burnt. These establishments should give proper advice, but don't, and there is just no way to know this, until you find out first hand. New aquarium people usually are novices, first timers, and have no idea that they can't do certain things, and usually don't pre-exist with a fish forum.

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Ditto what Taurus said. No bottom feeders should be in new tanks, either, and a 10 gallon is too small for a BN. I won't even keep one in my 29 gallon. Bottom feeders are NOT necessary to have either. Some thing they are a mandatory fish that must be kept.

Krispyz
05-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Ditto what Taurus said. No bottom feeders should be in new tanks, either, and a 10 gallon is too small for a BN. I won't even keep one in my 29 gallon. Bottom feeders are NOT necessary to have either. Some thing they are a mandatory fish that must be kept.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first started out. I was (mistakenly) under the impression that bottom feeders are necessary to keep a tank clean.

Taurus, I definitely agree that it's the fish-owners responsibility to know about their tank and their fish, but it wouldn't hurt for the workers to at least not give misinformation. If I come in and say that I have a ten gallon tank and ask if a pleco is a good idea, I'd prefer they say "I don't know" over smiling and saying "of course, bottom feeders are good for a tank!" Unfortunately, admitting you don't know something is, for some reason, frowned upon in our society.

Slaphppy7
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
What NOT to expect from your fish store:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=79134

Maybe a little late for your situation, but good info nonetheless