PDA

View Full Version : acclimating eel from fresh to brackish water

sublime9
05-06-2013, 01:10 AM
i recently had an impulse buy and ended up with a brackish eel described to me as "freshwater". so i had to make a decision my chicilids or the eel... i choose the eel and am ready to start adding the salt however i was wondering if anyone had any expieriance or tips when it comes to acclimating the eel. he is a Gymnothroax tile aka freshwater snowflake eel.

Cliff
05-06-2013, 01:53 AM
I have never kept ells (FW or SW) so take my advice accordingly

Based on my experience and research with marine fish, I can tell you that a great than 0.003 swing in salinity in a shorter period of time with marine fish can be fatal to more sensitive marine fish.

When it comes to acclimating fish to different water parameters, slower is typically better. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

Maybe aim for a less than 0.003 change in salinity within a 24 hour period until you get to your target level. I would suggest using a refactormeter to make sure you are getting accurate readings

madagascariensis
05-06-2013, 02:03 AM
and also make sure to add a "salt" mix designed for marine applications instead of just aquarium salt or pure NaCl.
A common misconception is that seawater is just water mixed with salt. in reality there are
many, many different compounds in there(but we notice the salt the most due to its taste).

sublime9
05-06-2013, 08:51 PM
thank you for the info!!! since you have kept eels would you happen to have any suggestions on the best long term salinity range i have read that gymnothorax tile does really well at 1.018 but he is still kinda young (about 9 to 12 inches) so i wasnt sure if that was to high for him.

sublime9
05-06-2013, 08:52 PM
sorry nvm i reread and see that you "not" lol sorry.