PDA

View Full Version : What About Flat Worms

Dancin Mike
10-27-2007, 01:55 AM
I have these, are they ok or anything to worry about?

I remember these from highschool and looking under a microscope, but i dont remember much else other than they reproduse by like osmosis or something like that. but are they helpful to the eco system, or are they harmful to my livestock?

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/Miscellaneous/Flatworm/flatworm.gif

Dancin Mike
10-28-2007, 04:25 AM
anyone know much about em.

Dancin Mike
10-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Im sorry to make this a 1 man thread, but is there anyone here that know anything about them. dont some searches on the wab, but what i found is wrong, because i do know that this creature doesnt lay eggs and its neither male/female, i know its Asexual, thats about i remember from grade school, they repo by osmosis or summin like that, of if they get damaged or cut in 2. and regenerate fast, thats all

anyone know anything else about them?

cocoa_pleco
10-29-2007, 02:12 PM
i dont know anything about them besides that they have funky looking eyes!

im sure someone will know

CAF
10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
They are known as planaria.

They are a sign you are overfeeding your tank. There is too much nutrients for the fish to eat so you are seeing more planaria than normal. All tanks will have some, however when conditions are right (i.e. too much food) they will begin to spread out and begin to surf the tank looking for food along the glass surface of the water, etc. They are not harmful and normally your fish will eat those that come out of hiding. Reduce your food amount and they will disappear soon enough.

Dancin Mike
10-30-2007, 01:50 AM
cool deal, i dont mind them. i dont see any in my tank, i have some in a bag that was in a plant that i got, and thought about putting them in my tanks, if there is over feeding and they will aid in the eco system, i dont mind them actually. just as long as they wont harm my livestock, i will add them then. i dont mind various creatures, after all i do want a healthy community tank, and that doesnt have to be just fish