PDA

View Full Version : breeding mystery snails

Kaga's Kritters
10-26-2007, 11:58 PM
how do u breed them? just put a couple in a tank and let them take care of it? how do you know the males from females? any other info would be great.

Fishalicious
10-27-2007, 01:45 AM
I wrote an article on snails in the aqua that usually come with live plants:
http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com/2007/08/snails-in-aqua-theyre-free.html which you might find handy

The Mystery Snail is hermaphroditic so can change sex at will... so they can lay and then fertilize their own eggs... who needs men heh?

So even if you only find one lonesome little Mystery Snail you can breed it on it's own :luxlove:

Just feed some fish flakes now and again and they will do the rest by themselves ;)

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 01:40 PM
i thought mystery snails were the ones that weren't hermaphroditic.....hmmmm

thanks for the info

edit: just started reading your thing on snails and you said mystery snails lay there eggs under water, that is not true, they lay them above water. if they were in the water they would drown. i read some about breeding mystery snails online and everyone says they lay them above the water line.

Fishalicious
10-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Apple snails lay their eggs above water not mystery snails - apple snails are also the ones that are not hermaphroditic

Sounds like you may have snail confusion hehehehe

I breed Mystery Snails for my Puffers and believe me they lay their eggs under water on leaves and any other surface they can find

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 01:50 PM
i noticed when i looked up info on mystery snails i get some stuff on apple snails too....

what is the scientific name for mystery snails? that way i know im reading about the right snail next time.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
yeah i also heard that mystery snails lay their eggs above water.....well i have had 2 forever so what do the eggs look like?

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 02:51 PM
check this out
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Invertebrates/mystery.php

it says mystery snails are a type of apple snail, you need a male and female to breed, and they lay there eggs above the water line.

here is another
http://www.applesnail.net/content/species/pomacea_bridgesi.htm

Fishalicious
10-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Mystery Snails are the little ones that come for free on live plants or just all of a sudden appear in your aqua (hence mystery) There are many names for them as there are different ones but rarely get bigger than 3cm - they are usually the Radix labiata or the Radix balthica or also known as gilled snail or common pond snail.... they lay a jelly like substance on your plants or glass with the eggs in them under water...

From the apple snail there are also different types but all of these lay eggs above water and need a 'mate' to breed

The most info you will find on apple snails is http://www.applesnail.net/ to make sure you get the right kind (the one that will leave your plants alone :ezpi_wink1: ) The most common kind of apple snail is the Pomacea bridgesii

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
they sell mystery snails at pet stores. they are not the ones you find on the plants. i used to work at a pet store and the ones that we just found in the tanks and on plants were definately NOT mystery snails.

Fishalicious
10-27-2007, 06:09 PM
On surfing the internet it seems peeps in the US call Apple Snails not just Apple Snails but also Golden Mystery Snails...

In the UK and Europe Mystery snails are the suprise ones you get with plants and apple snails are just ...... well apple snails LOL

We could go on about this for days but it seems they just have different names across the water

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 06:17 PM
what we call mystery snails is Pomacea Bridgesii

Rue
10-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, Pomacea bridgesii are what we call Mystery Snails...they have distinct sexes, lay eggs above the water line...

Luv my guys! So cute...and VERY prolific...have to start culling...

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Mystery Snails are the little ones that come for free on live plants or just all of a sudden appear in your aqua (hence mystery) There are many names for them as there are different ones but rarely get bigger than 3cm - they are usually the Radix labiata or the Radix balthica or also known as gilled snail or common pond snail.... they lay a jelly like substance on your plants or glass with the eggs in them under water...

From the apple snail there are also different types but all of these lay eggs above water and need a 'mate' to breed

The most info you will find on apple snails is http://www.applesnail.net/ to make sure you get the right kind (the one that will leave your plants alone :ezpi_wink1: ) The most common kind of apple snail is the Pomacea bridgesii

what you guys are calling mystery snails is a common pond snail and looks nothing like our mystery snails. ours don't have pointy shells

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 07:11 PM
the only kind of snail that i get where i live with my plants are ramshorns snails which lay their eggs in the water. but i have saw 'mystery snails' and 'apple snails' in the same store and i will tell you....they are different. way different.

Kaga's Kritters
10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
i know true apple snails are different from mystery snails.....but from what I read mystery snails are a subspecies of apple snail (or at least closely related or something).....true apple snails get a lot bigger than mystery snails too.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 07:14 PM
yeah apple snails can get to the size of a soft ball...i only have saw mystery snails get to the size of around 5-10cm across. but there might be bigger ones out there
lol

digger
11-05-2007, 03:52 PM
i was once told the difference between the apple snail and the mystery snail is their body color, the apple snail has a yellow body while the mystery snail is darker , they have been known to take over an empty shell from the other species if living in the same tank but you can always tell by the body color not the shell.