PDA

View Full Version : snail out of water

1MileCrash
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
my snail has lately seemed to enjoy hanging out above the water line in my tank. is this normal or dangerous for him?

CAF
10-26-2007, 09:20 PM
This is a normal behavior for snails. They sometimes go to the top to get air, to lay eggs, or because the water stats are bad.

Check your nitrates and see where you are, you may need to do a water change.

Tolley
10-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Apple snails their lay eggs outside of the water so if you've have more than 1 apple snails look out for that.

1MileCrash
10-27-2007, 04:26 AM
kool...thanks. the snail is back in the water tonite so maybe he just wanted to hang out there for a bit.

Azear
10-27-2007, 01:11 PM
not all species of apple snails lay outside of water.... you should get more info on www.applesnail.net ^_^... used to have a few egg clutch... in fact, got around 100-125 little baby apple snails :) To get back to my point, I had some Pomacea bridgesii and they get out to lay eggs but here's a quote from www.applesnail.net bout species that lay under the water line...

Species that lay their eggs under the waterline (genera: Asolene (Asolene), Felipponea, Lanistes and Marisa):
The eggs are embedded in a transparent gelatinous mass and are relatively small when they are laid, but take up a lot of water within the first days and swell significantly (from 3 mm to 6 mm). The need for temperatures between 18 and 28°C (65-82°F) applies to these eggs as well. Obviously these eggs should stay below the surface!
Interesting in these snails is that one can follow the development of the little snails inside the eggs (also see the 'embryology' section).

1MileCrash
10-27-2007, 05:54 PM
it's actually an Olive Nerita Snail if i remember correctly