PDA

View Full Version : Newb To Bettas Here. Need Help Asap!

Marquest
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Yesterday I bought a 1 gal. "betta cove" it comes with an undergravel filter with an airstone and hood with a light I thought not bad for 20 bucks. Plus my wife wouldnt let me leave the pet store without one. Anyway I hook everything up and add tap water with a drop of water conditioner when I plugged the filter in, it spit foam and tiny bubbles to the top of the tank and looks to be causing quite a current. This doesn't look right to me not to mention, this is kinds stupid, but when I checked to picture on the box this aquarium came in the water flow looks peaceful and the bubbles being produced are of the larger variety. When I called the pet store to ask about this the woman told me there could be too much conditioner in the water and to try a partial water change and see what happens. Well that didn't work and the tank is still pumping foamy bubbles rapidly to the top.

Is it that the filter is too large for this tank? But why do they sell it with it? Do I even need a filter? Is it ok if I take the filter out and introduce the fish now?

MeganL3985
10-26-2007, 07:27 PM
I have never had water conditioner make a foam that doesn't go away. I would change the water out. Put in the water conditioner after you fill it up, let it mix for a second and then turn your filter back on and see if it does the same thing.
Also, I really dont think under gravel filters (UGF's) do a darn thing. My 2.5 gallon mini bow came with a ugf and I replaced it right away with a whisper 3i intank filter. Which I am about to replace that with either an azoo palm filter (from Dr.Fosters & Smith) or a Red Sea Deco Art Nano mini filter (Petco). They're both suited for small tanks.

For a 1 gallon, I don't think that you absolutely need to have a filter. I mean....its nice to have one. But if your willing to change the water VERY frequently (like everyday to every other day).....then I don't think it would be a problem not to have one. I dont keep a filter on my temporary one gallon bowl. (Which I have had my bettas in (at different times) for about a week or two, with no problems)

ruecole
10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Do you know what size the pump it came with is? I'm going to hazard a guess that the pump is the 5 gallon size, which would explain the current. I think it'd probably be okay (others more knowledgeable can chime in any time!), but if you're concerned you can buy a flow control valve (not sure of the exact name) for it.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Marquest
10-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks Ruecole and Megan for your replies. I'm pretty sure this filter is too large for a one gal. I'd hate to change out the water again since i've had it in about 24 hrs now and have 1 Betta waiting to go in. But about the flow control that could work for me because if I pinch the line just a little I can see what kind of flow I'm really looking for. Anybody have any more info on that or maybe a smaller filter. I got this whole setup from petco so i can always go back but the people who work at petco aren't the most knowledgable. I'm a herp owner and most employees have given me wrong care info on that also.

ruecole
10-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Petco should have the flow control valve thingies (I think they're called gang valves?). They're relatively cheap. Something like $3-5.

BTW, are you planning to cycle your tank?

Hope that helps!

Rue

MeganL3985
10-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Ohhh good call Rue...I almost forgot about those gang valves. You can also get them at walmart.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 12:52 AM
yeah i would cycle the tank....now with a 1g it wont take long...like a week maybe...i think??

Marquest
10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Last nite I returned the 1 gal and got a 2.5 gal with a whisper carbon filter that hooks on the back of the tank. Much quieter and doesn't seem to disturb the water half as much. I wasn't planning to cycle the tank I was just going to let it run about 24 hrs. Is this not sufficient enough? Whats should be the proper ph level? I bought a ph tester and was going to see where I'm at now.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
well i would say around 6ph. But like i could be wrong. But mine is around 6-8 and my bettas do fine. Well i guess that 24hrs. would be fine but make sure you do weekly water changes.

good luck :thumb:

Siamese Fighter 1
10-27-2007, 02:25 PM
6.0 to 8.0 ph for betta dont forget they need 24 to 29 degrees as they are tropical fish

Marquest
10-27-2007, 02:25 PM
well i would say around 6ph. But like i could be wrong. But mine is around 6-8 and my bettas do fine. Well i guess that 24hrs. would be fine but make sure you do weekly water changes.

good luck :thumb:
Is 20% sufficient enough or does the whole tank need to be changed and if so then do i let it cycle for another 24 hrs or more again?

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
no...you do not do tha whole tank....i do from 15-20% water changes everyweek. So yes 20% would be plenty.
And they need to be kept at around 80degrees F.

Marquest
10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I have a small 7.5 watt heater in the tank due to the fact that I live in the Northeast and it gets cold during winter months and the cost to heat the house goes up every year. The heater seems to be working fine the water temp is around 80F

Marquest
10-27-2007, 02:37 PM
So whats the proper way to introduce this little fella to his new home? he's in a plastic container so i cant just float a bag in there.

MeganL3985
10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I also have a 2.5 gallon tank, I did not cycle it. I change out 50% of his water each week, sometimes twice a week. I dont think there is such thing as water being "too clean", especially if its not cycled. I also have a 7.5 watt heater and it works great.

As for acclimating him to the new tank. I just put him in the plastic cup he came in and poured a little "dixie cup" full of water in the bowl, every 15 minutes. Did that twice and then put him in. He didnt have any problems at all. Good luck :)

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 07:19 PM
yeah do what megan said....just let the cup float around...and the add some of your tank water...let it float...and do that until the temp is the same. then you can release hin.

If he comes in 'blue water' do not get any of the blue water in the tank.

MeganL3985
10-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Whoa. I didnt say float the cup. lol I said add some of the tank water. Don't float it....I dont think those cups would float well.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Whoa. I didnt say float the cup. lol I said add some of the tank water. Don't float it....I dont think those cups would float well.
well i have floated a cup in my tank and it floated perfectly fine. Never tiped over or anything.

MeganL3985
10-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Hmm....go for it then. I just always thought the cup would fall over.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 07:51 PM
just make sure that their isn't alot of water movement to make it fall over.
but i would do it megans way....do either or. they both work. Megans would be the be the better way to try first.

SkarloeysMom
10-27-2007, 07:58 PM
When you release him into the tank you might want to pour the cup water through a net and into a bowl or something and catch the fish in the net and then release him into the water so you don't pour that nasty cup water into your clean tank.

24 hours is not enough time to cycle your tank. If you want get your fish in there soon you will not have time to cycle it and as Megan said you will need to do water changes at least once preferable twice a week.

Marquest
11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I've noticed over the past couple days that my betta's tail seems like it might be tattered. Last nite I did my weekly 25% change. His temps have been stable and today I measured Ph, ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates. My ph is a bit high close to 8.0 and everything else was 0. Should my nitrates be reading so low? Today I bought a new filter. Its the nano filter made by red sea that I believe Megan has mentioned before. The whisper filter that the mini bow came with seems to be even too strong for this little guy. Everytime he passes by it he's practically swimming sideways. Seems like it might be stressing him out a bit. i also picked up some stuff called Betta fix remedy its made by Splendid Betta. it says it promotes rapid re-growth of damaged fins and skin, should I give this a shot? And should I wait to change filters or go head and change the filter??

On a side note he has been eating well. And his activity seems very playfull.

SkarloeysMom
11-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I've noticed over the past couple days that my betta's tail seems like it might be tattered. Last nite I did my weekly 25% change. His temps have been stable and today I measured Ph, ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates. My ph is a bit high close to 8.0 and everything else was 0. Should my nitrates be reading so low? Today I bought a new filter. Its the nano filter made by red sea that I believe Megan has mentioned before. The whisper filter that the mini bow came with seems to be even too strong for this little guy. Everytime he passes by it he's practically swimming sideways. Seems like it might be stressing him out a bit. i also picked up some stuff called Betta fix remedy its made by Splendid Betta. it says it promotes rapid re-growth of damaged fins and skin, should I give this a shot? And should I wait to change filters or go head and change the filter??

On a side note he has been eating well. And his activity seems very playfull.

Before you open the new filter, check the whisper filter for a sliding switch on the back of the motor. That's the flow control. Usually it comes from the factory on full blast which is too much flow for a betta. You can try turn down the flow rate and see if that helps.

Is there something in his tank that he could have damaged his fins on? If not maybe fin rot. Either way I don't think it would hurt to treat him with the Betta fix.

Marquest
11-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I switched to the nano filter and it's much better than the whisper the mini bow comes with. it opened up some room in the tank also since most of the filter hangs outside the tank.

Marquest fins look much better than they did 2 days ago so I'll continue to monter that and treat him with the Betta Fix. I dont beleve he could've damaged them on anything in the tank. I'll try to post my set up of the tank.

Marquest
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
The first one is a shot of the tank. Second and third give a look at his fins. They look better today.

Buppy
11-10-2007, 08:25 PM
they r lookin bttr