PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Rainbowfish

Trillianne
04-22-2013, 07:32 PM
So a little over a weeks ago, I bought some more spotted blue eye rainbows (Pseudomugil gertrudae) And asked the netter to aim for more females than males. Which he did alright on that part... but I ended up with one fish I'm fairly certain is not a gertrudae, although it does resemble a rainbowfish in general shape, and so I wasn't so certain when I first added her/him that it was an oddball.

I haven't been able to snap a good picture yet, but what is my major clue is that the coloration of this fish is not an all over yellow with spots, he's split color across his center axis like a boesmani rainbow would be. Front half is pale silverish and back half is darker like a purple or smokey blue in nature. His pectoral fins are very yellow and his tail does appear to have a yellow line at both the top and bottom edge.

So... I've been looking and I've not found one that looks likely as yet... .and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas, OR my other thought would be that I ended up with a very young bosemani fry perhaps... in which case if you have any photos to recommend of said specie at about the ~1-1.5 inch size to compare that would be great too.

Longshot
04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
it more resembles a backwards Boesemani? or more like a lake kutubu rainbow?

madagascariensis
04-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Maybe it's a form of pseudomugil furcatus. If you look it up most pictures will be of yellow fish but some also appear to have the blue rear like you described.

Trillianne
04-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Coloration is more like a backwards Bosemani silver/goldish in the front with darker in the back.

I have 2 female furcatus and to me its not quite the same, so if its a furcatus then its from a completely different gathering place. I will try again to get photos, because quite frankly I am stumped.

Trillianne
04-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Ok so I was back at the pet store, and based on what else had been in the tank with the gertrudae rainbows... I believe what I ended up with was a Oryzias sp. (Ricefish) They had had blue rice fish in that tank as well. As to which exact species version it is I'm not 100% even after looking at photos.

So not a rainbow at all.... but its another of those 3cm or less size fish.