PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Points... Why to use them.

CAF
10-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Greetings everyone.

I am wanted to expound upon all of the talk recently about the reputation points. As quite a few people have said, Lady Hobbs and crackatinny to name a couple) while the giving of gifts is a nice thing and I whole heartedly think we should continue to do this. I do not feel that gifts are a good way to thank someone for good advice. The entire reason for the reputation point system is for those people who are comming to us brand new, can tell quickly and at a glance, if the person giving them information has been found to be correct and helpful by the other members of the forum. It also allows for those individuals who give bad information over and over again to have some sign of it as well, so what they say can be taken with a grain of salt. For the most part there are not very many of us who fall in the latter category.

I am not saying go out and give everyone reputation points, but when there is merit for it, one way or the other, please do. Lets make this forum better than it currently is by using all of the wonderful features available to us.

MeganL3985
10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Are you saying to give more rep. points instead of gifts, for good advice?
If so, I agree.

CAF
10-26-2007, 06:55 PM
LOL Apparently I was not very clear with what I trying to say. But yes, that is what I was trying to get across. Thanks for the translation! :19:

ruecole
10-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Sounds good to me!

Rue

MeganL3985
10-26-2007, 07:15 PM
LOL Apparently I was not very clear with what I trying to say. But yes, that is what I was trying to get across. Thanks for the translation! :19:

Hahaha! No i'm sure you said it all fine...i'm just a little slow today. I think i'm catchin a cold...so i'm like way out there...hahaha :c5:

markbob
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
How do I do this and how can I see how many reputationpoints I have? Also, on the right side of my banner is a thing that says rating. It says 0. So does everyones. is this just a feature we don't use?

ruecole
10-26-2007, 07:39 PM
You can see how many rep points you have by visiting your User CP page. If you have none, you won't see any. If you have some it'll tell you.

You can give rep points by clicking the little scales symbol on the upper right hand corner of the post (right beside the post number) you want to give rep points for.

Hope that helps!

Rue

CAF
10-26-2007, 07:43 PM
How do I do this and how can I see how many reputationpoints I have? Also, on the right side of my banner is a thing that says rating. It says 0. So does everyones. is this just a feature we don't use?
The rating you see to the side is a trader rating. There are very few classifieds put up by members, thus the low ratings of everyone.

If you go to your user CP you will see how many rep points you have as well who gave you them and why.

To give someone rep there are scales above each post. Click the scales and either give a good or bad rating based on your feelings about the post.

Hope that helps!

Edit: See why leaving windows open can be funny.... Sorry ruecole didnt mean to repeat info you had already given!

CAF
10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I've said my piece. My question for everyone is are you willing to use the reputation points like they are meant to be used? thumbs2:

Personally I think its a great tool!

MeganL3985
10-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Good post Chris :) I think they are an important and valuable tool also.

CAF
10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Good post Chris :) I think they are an important and valuable tool also.
Thanks Meg!

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Crack has already mentioned this in chatterbox.

However, I don't know the numbers but you have to have enough good rep yourself to give rep or it will show up as a darkened box. To check rep points, go to Control Panel and scroll down on that page.

MeganL3985
10-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Edit: nevermind...lol

crackatinny
10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Hobbs:thumb:

And thanks CAF, for reinforcing the idea.

But I'm not sure if it was this thread or mine, that you said Mods give double Rep to normal members, as far as I know mate, that is not correct, as mods, we are instantly given 100 rep, we cannot get an award for this 100, it does mean, our gifts of rep, are more than a new member, BUT, if you or DAVE or KULI or any other regular member with 100 rep, will give equal or more rep than some of us, there is only 2 mod's who have earned 100 on top of there given 100, and if you care to look up the awards, you will see, only those 2 and those regular members that have earned it, have the award.

Rep is another way of showing appreciation to fellow members, as I said in my own thread, but well translated from Aussie to American CAL:thumb:

CAF
10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Hobbs:thumb:

And thanks CAF, for reinforcing the idea.

But I'm not sure if it was this thread or mine, that you said Mods give double Rep to normal members, as far as I know mate, that is not correct, as mods, we are instantly given 100 rep, we cannot get an award for this 100, it does mean, our gifts of rep, are more than a new member, BUT, if you or DAVE or KULI or any other regular member with 100 rep, will give equal or more rep than some of us, there is only 2 mod's who have earned 100 on top of there given 100, and if you care to look up the awards, you will see, only those 2 and those regular members that have earned it, have the award.

Rep is another way of showing appreciation to fellow members, as I said in my own thread, but well translated from Aussie to American CAL:thumb:
Again Tinny, my apologies for not placing all of this info on your thread. I'm a bludger...:scry:

A340
10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry, this may have been covered already, but does giving a rep require a certain number of points in the bank is with giving gifts? Also, does giving a rep have a set number? Such as 10 rep points, etc. or can you give any number of points per rep?

CAF
10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry, this may have been covered already, but does giving a rep require a certain number of points in the bank is with giving gifts? Also, does giving a rep have a set number? Such as 10 rep points, etc. or can you give any number of points per rep?
There is a formula based on how many points you have that determines how many points the person you are giving the rep to gets. For example when I had 108 points of rep, I was giving 3 points of rep to the people I felt deserved it. You can only give rep once per post and you have to give rep to multiple people prior to coming back and trying to give rep to the same person.

A340
10-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Sounds simple enough, I think. Just to get it straight, the amount of rep points I am able to give (per person/per post) is based on the amount of rep points I have been given myself by others and has nothing to do with the points that I have in my bank, correct?

CAF
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Sounds simple enough, I think. Just to get it straight, the amount of rep points I am able to give (per person/per post) is based on the amount of rep points I have been given myself by others and has nothing to do with the points that I have in my bank, correct?
Correct and you do not lose rep points by giving them.

A340
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Correct and you do not lose rep points by giving them.
Thank you sir ... :thumb:

CAF
10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Not a problem.

crackatinny
10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
It can sound a little confusing, but that is mainly due to the fact that it has been a little used reward system. Once utilised a bit, more members will get the hang of it, and those with either no or little rep will gain more, then the rep they give out increases.

CAF
10-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Here is a question for you Tinny. I know you said Mods get rep just for becoming a Mod, but that it doesn't count towards the awards.

Looking at your rep bar it looks like you have 8 and 3 again. So you have around 1100 rep points correct? So if you deduct the points you received for being a Mod do you qualify for the Medal yet?

crackatinny
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Not real sure how the bar works, but currently, I am only around half way to earning an award, I think it comes back to each member giving a different amount of rep, based on what they have.

Hopefully, as time go's on and the system is used more, we will be able to nut out more and more about it.

A340
10-30-2007, 06:56 AM
OK, here's another question. When I go under my User CP and look at the people who gave me rep points (thanks everyone), there is a little "button" to the left of the thread title where the point was given to. Some are green and some are grey. What does that mean?

crackatinny
10-30-2007, 07:01 AM
I think the ones in green, are the ones that have had enough to actually give Rep points, the ones in grey, have given you Rep, but have not had enough for it to count as points. Well the fact that they tried counts, but I think you know what I mean.

A340
10-30-2007, 07:52 AM
I think the ones in green, are the ones that have had enough to actually give Rep points, the ones in grey, have given you Rep, but have not had enough for it to count as points. Well the fact that they tried counts, but I think you know what I mean.
Makes sense, for example, the first rep point I was given was by a member and the button remained grey, a couple of months later, the same member gave me another rep point but this time the button is green, so I take it he had enough points to "give" them the second time around.

Makes sense, thanks Crack!

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Everyone is supposed to start with 10 rep points and 100 regular points. They should be able to give rep right away, seems to me, but I still get rep now and then that doesn't count and the little box is blanked out. Not sure what that is all about. I have the feeling that the rep points you are given can not be used towards giving rep to others and you still have to earn some before you can give some. Very well might be mistaken here so don't take me too serious.

The rep points the Mods get can not be counted toward an award. They also have to earn theirs. You have to earn 100 rep points to get the award. It was only with the most recent new Mods that we were given those that we have now.......minus those given us by others.

S13DWS
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Sorry to be a pain here. But I look at my own and also others Profiles etc and I havent seen anything to do with Rep at all?

I clicked User CP and scrolled down like Hobbs said to and still didnt find anything... does this mean I have none?

Why can I not see anyone elses rep? All i can see is the little bar that users get when they post like crackatinnys bar with a little message when i hover over it that says he has much to be proud of etc.

CAF
10-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Try looking again. Go to user cp and look on the right hand of the screen. It will list your rep and the last 5 people who have given it to you.

A340
10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Why can I not see anyone elses rep? All i can see is the little bar that users get when they post like crackatinnys bar with a little message when i hover over it that says he has much to be proud of etc.
I don't think you can see the rep point on other members profiles. Don't know why though. There is a another forum that I use and they have something called a "Respect Rating" system. What you could do, is add a member to your "Respected User List" and his/her RU points would go up or if someone added you to their list, your RU points would go up.

It was a good idea, the people who would post the most valuable and informative information used to be the ones with the highest RU so you could assume that their info was pretty well correct.

Sadly, it became more of a "buddy" system having little to do with valuable contributers. For example, there was a female member who posted a pic of herself in a self pic thread and her RU rating went up to about 70 (out of a hundered) overnight, and she had only posted 14 times. Pretty sad, but oh well.

And no, I didn't add her to my RU list .. :22:

richberstler
11-17-2007, 08:52 PM
WOW I've been a member for maybe 2 months now and I'm just now learning about Rep points, gifts, buying stuff, earning points and all of that. This site just keeps getting more interesting.

I'll take a quick moment to apologize to everyone who has been so helpful to me thus far, I didn't intend to snub you of you deserved rewards!

Perhaps there might be a better way of informing new users of all this info? especially the rep points as this is the first I ever heard of it. The other stuff I saw are 'stickied' in the How To section. Just a thought because I feel like a putz now lol...

Thanks everyone!

richberstler
11-17-2007, 09:11 PM
As another note, I wanted to give Algenco a good review for the transaction we made this week, but it's requesting a ad ID. The only ID i could find was on the # at the end of the url and it did not work. He listed it in the classifieds, so i'm prettly lost.

Lady Hobbs
11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
I've thought of putting up something regarding rep points but can't seem to get a clear understanding of it myself and don't want to post anything not correct. New members start with 10 rep points. However, I do not know how many is required before they can "give" rep points.

I believe you must have gotten rep points yourself before you can give. Since the first 10 are just given to you, you must earn some yourself.

But, if you want to give a nice kudo's to Algenco, you could write a post in the classified where he wrote his ad telling about your transaction with him.

So far, we have no rating system for classifieds. If we had more, we would probably add that feature.

richberstler
11-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks Lady Hobbs. I thought I read something about the rating% in the upper right cornerhad to do with the classifieds section, probably misunderstood. I can't find anywhere on my CP about having my own rep points either (not even the 10 I started with).

I'll just keep doin what I'm doin and I'm sure it will all work out in time (o:

thanks again

crackatinny
11-19-2007, 12:49 AM
I did not recieve 10 points when I joined.

Also, I think you can give rep without any, but the reciever does not get any points, just a comment in the userCP, Some rep I have recieved has a green box next to the comment, these actually gave points, some have an uncoloured box, I presume the uncoloured boxs are from those without enough to actually give points.

This feature has been much unused in the past, and thats why we are trying to get members to consider this option, that is why, at the moment even us mods are feeling our way with it and learning as we go, once fully worked out, we will do a stcky about it, but as Hobbs pointed out, untill we learn more, we do not want to leed everyone astray.

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2007, 01:41 AM
The rep points went thru some changing not long ago Crack. That's when William set it up for all newbies to start with 10 and for us to be able to more freely give rep points.

TowBoater
11-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Well well well, another rep. post. The way I see it, rep is better than gifts anyways. As many of you know I don't give many gifts but if I see someone giving good advice and being polite, etc then I give them good rep. I never give neg. rep. but instead send them a pm telling them what I think. I think the higher your rep then the more you raise another persons reputation. to put it easier, I would give a lot more points to someone than a new person yet I still say even if you are new, give rep.

richberstler
11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Akk thatks Kuhli_Loach and Cocao_Pleco for my first rep points. Now I finally see something on my CP. My guess is either:

1) the 10 points is not being given to newbies
2) they don't count towards anything until a real poster offers up some respect

It also appears both are the darker green boxes, now have a total of 28 pts.

I'll keep posting what I notice since I'm starting from scratch in case it will help everyone figure out how this works...

TowBoater
11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
I didn't know how much I gave out but I knew I gave out more than the average new member.

richberstler
11-21-2007, 03:12 AM
hmmmmm, i just noticed cocoa pleco cave me another rep hit and I'm up to 43 now, an increast of 15. I'm not sure I can figure out the math after seeing that. Maybe someone else can... IMO I think blind faith is best lol

cocoa_pleco
11-21-2007, 03:14 AM
i think for everytime someone gives you a rep points 3-5 get added to your list

richberstler
11-21-2007, 03:26 AM
i think for everytime someone gives you a rep points 3-5 get added to your list
it was 15 in one shot which was confusing to me, but thanks for the rep!!

richberstler
12-07-2007, 03:53 AM
I was thinking maybe this should be stickied for newbies, or maybe a short explaination on how they (and we) can use it. I don't think we need to worry about how the rep points are applied until they are fully understood.

I'd be happy to sum up what I know for someone to proof and stickey if it sounds like a good idear