PDA

View Full Version : NLS food storage and variety

madly99
10-26-2007, 04:41 PM
What's the best way to store fish food? I'd like to try the NLS pellets everyone is raving about, but only have one 20G tank and worry the food will go bad before I can use much of the 150g container that Big Al's has on sale. Is there a good way to keep it fresh?

Right now, I am feeding TetraMin flake, Tetra crisps and Hikari sinking wafers. Do I get rid of all these when I go to NLS pellets or keep them for variety (like McDonald's in lieu of sirloin)? I've also given them frozen brine shrimp which they like okay and my tetras eat plants. I'm going to try spinach as well. They didn't seem to care for any of the freeze dried stuff I've tried (bloodworms, daphnia, shrimp). How much variety do they need? I have 4 large tetras, 3 cories, and 3 zebra danios. Thanks!

Algenco
10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I have some small containers that I fill and keep near my tanks, the bulk of the food is kept in the fridge.

As for variety, 2 main foods and a treat would be fine

Fishguy2727
10-27-2007, 12:46 AM
With NLS you actually get better results when it is the only thing fed, it is truly complete and with it you do not need any variety at all. This is hard to believe and goes against what almost everything says, but NLS hasn't been out long enough to change the world's mind on the need for variety, which was developed based on what was available in the past. It is the only thing I feed all my fish and many of them at work, it really is the only thing worth feeding in my opinion, short of a couple exceptions for certain fish.

squirt_12
10-27-2007, 12:49 AM
i would just keep it in a sealed container and don't let bugs at it.

gm72
10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
With NLS you actually get better results when it is the only thing fed, it is truly complete and with it you do not need any variety at all. This is hard to believe and goes against what almost everything says, but NLS hasn't been out long enough to change the world's mind on the need for variety, which was developed based on what was available in the past. It is the only thing I feed all my fish and many of them at work, it really is the only thing worth feeding in my opinion, short of a couple exceptions for certain fish.

I am starting to agree with this. Even if you read the ingredients list you can see it is far "better" than the competition.

SkarloeysMom
10-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Hey, this is a good question. I have one of those big containers of NLS sinking pellets. It seems like it could be years before my fish could ever finish the container. I have a vacuum packer. Should I vacuum seal about half of it and put it in the freezer? or frig? How long will the stuff last once its opened? I don't think it has an expiration date on it.

Fishguy2727
10-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Vacuum and freeze.

madly99
10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Hm, I don't have a vacuum packer. Will an airtight jar in the fridge work? I'm worried about freezer burn if I just freeze it.

CAF
10-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Freezer bags with all of the air sucked out work as well. Just leave a small gap, suck out the air and seal it quickly.