PDA

View Full Version : Mystery plant?

KingOfTheFeeshes
04-18-2013, 11:36 PM
So ahh... What's that white-colored stuff on all of the branches? My best guess was some sort of mosses, so I posted it in this part of the forum. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Curiosity is just killing me right now. :think:

Aeonflame
04-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Do you have a closer photo? It looks like some sort of algae.

KingOfTheFeeshes
04-19-2013, 12:48 AM
No, and I wish I did. Algae was my second guess, but it almost looks as if it's there for a reason.

genocidex
04-19-2013, 01:30 AM
is this your tank? if not it looks like frobit or some other floater but im guessing the bit, i have some in my 55g (half is covered) looks great from the bottom and has roots like that. also in the pic you can see the plants floating at the top.

could also be dwarf water lettuce...

KingOfTheFeeshes
04-19-2013, 02:21 AM
No, it's not mine. I saw it on some small forum, but it seems the person didn't have any information on it, just a link that didn't work.
But I see that there's either frogbit or water lettuce at the top - and I think it's water lettuce - but it looks like there's something else growing on the wood. Maybe it's string algae, or dead BBA. I wish I knew, because for some reason I really like the look of it.

korith
04-19-2013, 03:27 AM
Hard to tell w/o a closer picture, my guess would be white mold or fungus.

talldutchie
04-19-2013, 04:21 AM
I don't think it's white. The water's heavily tannin stained and the picture was overexposed at the top. It's light green. Either moss of some kind and not java or, more likely, algae.

KingOfTheFeeshes
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
You're probably right, talldutchie.
I was just wondering because it looks intentional, and I've never really seen something like that before.

talldutchie
04-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Could be luck. Looking at the picture it seems to be mostly in the high light areas.

I had an algae like that on large parts of my wood but unfortunately it disappeared when I fine tuned my fertilizing