PDA

View Full Version : Re-Assertion of Dominance After Move?

Munko
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I have never kept cichlids before.

I have just acquired a 25gal tank with three 4 year old cichlids - a johanni, a yellow lab, and a brichardi. They were original tank mates, and have only ever been housed together. All are fairly large, but the yellow lab beats them all - hands down. I bought them from someone along with two tanks, and transferred them into the 25gal wide rather than the 25gal tall they had previously been housed in to give them more lateral movement space as the tank is stacked with limestone. I also lowered the stack so they could move around more easily. The yellow lab often chases the johanni, and the brichardi does a pretty good job of laying low. I often see the johanni and lab going in rapid circles, splashing water. Can I safely assume that this is a reassertion of dominance after a change and that they will be ok? I do not see any serious woundage or anything of the sort.

Thanks.

CAF
10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
You would be correct. Anytime anything in the tank changes this cycle will repeat itself.

Munko
10-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks CAF, I just left you a pm too. Am I wise to add some more limestone so that there are more places for the Johanni to hide? I am concerned that long term stress will damage him, and I am not sure what else to do.

CAF
10-26-2007, 02:35 PM
PM Replied to.