PDA

View Full Version : Needing some advice

Wicksy
04-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Alright so I currently have a 38gal with an aqua clear 50, should I be getting another one for good filtration? I'd really like a canister filter but am not sure what to get and don't want to spend more than $100. I also would like to change from gravel to sand, If I was to fill a 5.5gal with my 38's water and put 5 fish in it and do the switch quickly would it suffice? Thanks for the help.

mommy1
04-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Double filtration is always recommended, but if you stock lightly what you have will work... I still suggest getting another filter. I don't know where you are but try looking on Craigslist or the equivalent to your location, you can often find good filters there for a good price. Put your filter on that 5.5 or an air stone while you change the substrate and the fish should be fine.

Stlouisfish
04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Alright so I currently have a 38gal with an aqua clear 50, should I be getting another one for good filtration? I'd really like a canister filter but am not sure what to get and don't want to spend more than $100. I also would like to change from gravel to sand, If I was to fill a 5.5gal with my 38's water and put 5 fish in it and do the switch quickly would it suffice? Thanks for the help.

As HoneyBadger noted above, water doesn't contain any bacteria - you can add fresh dechlorinated water to the 5.5 while you keep the fish in there (make sure to match temp of current tank) and follow her advice.