PDA

View Full Version : Can I add a Boeseman's Rainbowfish to my tank?

waldorfsalad
04-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I was looking at the Boeseman's rainbowfish and would really like to add them to one of my tanks, but I am not sure how compatible that would be. It is rare I see one around in local shops, and if I do they run $20-30 each, and they don't have much information or experience with them.

Here are the details of my two tanks, which I wanted to put some Boeseman's in.

30 gallon live planted aquarium with (12) neon and cardinal tetras, (3) serpae tetras, (2) German blue rams, and (3) cory catfish
- I have read the Boeseman's rainbowfish eat live plants, so can I drop in enough algae wafers and cucumber slices to stop them from eating my plants?

120 gallon aquarium with (10) roseline sharks of various size, (8) bala sharks that are all under 4", (2) large pearl gouramis, (4) dwarf gouramis, (2) sun cats (eclipse cats)
- I worry that the sun cats might eat them, but they haven't bothered my dwarf gouramis, and they are well fed... though that doesn't stop them from eating!

Thanks for any information you all can provide.

fishmommie
04-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Hi. The 30 gallon, unfortunately, is way too small for rainbows. They are fast, vigorous swimmers and would not do well in that small tank.

The 120 is certainly a great size rainbows but you're already heavily stocked.
The balas can get up to 14 inches. that's a lot of big fish even for a 120 gal. the eclipse cat also gets very large - up to 18 inches.

As for the DW gourmais - I hope they continue to get along. Generally it's advised to keep only one per tank as they start to bicker as they mature and can actually kill each other. In a heavily planted 120, they might be okay because of the room, however, I tried 2 in my 90 gal and ended up having to separate them.

I wouldn't get the rainbows for the 120 with your current stock. Unfortunately, there will over stocking issues in your future as the big guys grow out.

BTW - if you could you should add 3 more cory cats to your 30. 6 is generally the smallest group recommended as they are a schooling fish and are happier in bigger groups.

Good luck. Maybe someone else will have better news for you.

waldorfsalad
04-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks, fishmommie.

I am not worried about the over stock, as when they get big, I can usually move them to my sister's tank. I keep up on the water chemistry, too.

My gouramis seem to be doing pretty well, they even swim with the balas, and the roselines when they slow down. The two pearls are always hiding in the corner however. I will watch for fighting though now, and if they are too feisty, I can put one of the dwarfs in the 30.

Thanks for the advice on the corys, too. Picking up those three little guys will finish that tank.

fishmommie
04-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Sounds as though you have things well in hand. I missed that you had 2 pearls. If they are hiding, they may be stressed by something. Also, generally one pearl works best in a tank.
In the beginner's section there are 2 great resources to help with fish compatibility. you might check that out - it's helped me in the past. I particularly like this compatibility chart

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/freshwater_compatibility_chart.php

Good luck with all your fish!

Thanks, fishmommie.

I am not worried about the over stock, as when they get big, I can usually move them to my sister's tank. I keep up on the water chemistry, too.

My gouramis seem to be doing pretty well, they even swim with the balas, and the roselines when they slow down. The two pearls are always hiding in the corner however. I will watch for fighting though now, and if they are too feisty, I can put one of the dwarfs in the 30.

Thanks for the advice on the corys, too. Picking up those three little guys will finish that tank.

jaysee
04-10-2013, 12:51 AM
I missed that you had 2 pearls. If they are hiding, they may be stressed by something. Also, generally one pearl works best in a tank.

I agree, if they are hiding in the corner that that is not good. However, I disagree that they do best by themselves. In my experience, they are a group oriented fish - they very much like the company of their own kind. I've kept a school in tanks as small as 45 and as large as 125. While they are in the same genus as 3 spots, they are VERY different.

fishmommie
04-10-2013, 01:20 AM
I agree, if they are hiding in the corner that that is not good. However, I disagree that they do best by themselves. In my experience, they are a group oriented fish - they very much like the company of their own kind. I've kept a school in tanks as small as 45 and as large as 125. While they are in the same genus as 3 spots, they are VERY different.
Thanks for the clarification Jaysee.

waldorfsalad
04-10-2013, 03:08 AM
Yeah, I have had the two pearls for two or three weeks. The dwarfs did the same thing for the first week, now they swim with the balas, and the roselines when they aren't flying around. They look healthy, not scared or sick.

One corner of my tank has well planted, which is where they have staked claim. So when I say hiding in the corner, that is what I mean. They come out to eat, but then head right back to their corner.

I attached some pictures, though not the highest quality. I couldnt do straight on or you would see my algae, because I need a new sponge-on-a-stick. :D You can also see how small all my fish are, you cant see half of them! Some of my balas and roselines are only 1 or 1.5 inches long.

Thanks for all the advice! I am glad I was sick today and had time to find this website!

mizzoutank
04-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Great looking tank!

your balas will enjoy the space and grow very fast-so no worries. you'll get a full tank in the very near future :)

Your gourami's may be a bit shocked with the activity from your other fish. as stated-bala's get big and are busy swimmers and some fish just don't cope with that well. it's a personality thing-as my dwarf gourami experience was he was the most active fish EVER. lol

but you are at a good stocking level right now-let the bala's grow out-move to your sisters (assuming she's got a bigger tank) then restock as appropriate with your rainbows.

jaysee
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
If you've only had the pearls for a few weeks, then I am not as concerned. I've found that it can take them longer than most fish to adjust to a new tank. I keep mine with roselines and rainbows, both very active fish. When I add new pearls, they stick close with the others for a period of time, until they realize that the rainbows and roselines couldn't care less about them.

It's always a good idea to quarantine new fish. In addition to being able to prevent the introduction of diseases and such, it gives the fish time to adjust to you and the routine, as well as making sure that the fish are eating well. Some fish will not take to the food you feed right away, so keeping them in quarantine will make it easier for you to convert them. With the pearls - if you had kept them in quarantine for the last few weeks, they would still be shy in the new tank at first, but I feel that they (and other such fish) get over it much quicker.

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
I would not attempt to put any rainbows (other than neon rainbows or blue eyes) in a 30 gallon tank. They are also schooling fish and need friends of their own species.

Sandz
04-10-2013, 09:33 PM
+1 to Hobbs, The Celebes Blue Eyes are great flashes of yellow (as mentioned) that can go in a 30 without issue. I had them in as dithers for Kribs for a while when I was testing to see what would work for dithers. They were to fast for the Kribs but also generally stayed top level and were awesome fish. I really dont think you have stock room for them though. You need to fill out your schooling fish.

waldorfsalad
04-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I am not planning on getting any rainbowfish for either of my tanks. The 30 is too small, and since balas and roselines are my favorites, they aren't moving out.

Great looking tank!

your balas will enjoy the space and grow very fast-so no worries. you'll get a full tank in the very near future :)
Thank you. I really like real plants better, but I have found balas really like them too, but for food instead of landscape. Or maybe they are just jerks and destroy them for spite. :/

I am pretty well experienced with balas, and have never had any problems with mine growing really fast. I have only gotten them really big when I actively tried, by feeding them lots of frozen food and sending them to the gym. :D I think it also helps if you have a lower stocked tank as well.

If you've only had the pearls for a few weeks, then I am not as concerned. I've found that it can take them longer than most fish to adjust to a new tank. I keep mine with roselines and rainbows, both very active fish. When I add new pearls, they stick close with the others for a period of time, until they realize that the rainbows and roselines couldn't care less about them.
Thanks. I will continue to keep a close eye on them. They seem to forget about their fears when food comes out! Then they are right in the middle of things.

It's always a good idea to quarantine new fish. In addition to being able to prevent the introduction of diseases and such, it gives the fish time to adjust to you and the routine, as well as making sure that the fish are eating well. Some fish will not take to the food you feed right away, so keeping them in quarantine will make it easier for you to convert them. With the pearls - if you had kept them in quarantine for the last few weeks, they would still be shy in the new tank at first, but I feel that they (and other such fish) get over it much quicker.
Yeah, quarantine is the best idea. I am planning to set up a tank in our computer room, but that isn't anytime soon. For health precautions I put a half dose of Quick Cure in when new fish are introduced.