PDA

View Full Version : where the American market gets it's plecos... Florida!

talldutchie
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Interesting article about the pleco population in Florida.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=489

Sandz
04-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Pretty cool thats a whole 2.5 hours from me. I think funkman is right there in Tampa.

mommy1
04-09-2013, 11:50 PM
A lot of the fish we get here in the states are from farms in Florida. The one in this article is one I wish was not available on the market because they get so large and most don't have tanks big enough to keep them.

talldutchie
04-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Yes, well I agree with that.

madagascariensis
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Pretty cool behind the scenes article. I wonder though what the ethics are of continuing to pump the market full of a species that grows too large for most tanks, as well as purposefully starving some to produce a staggered batch.

talldutchie
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Horrible of course but ethics seem to be an alien concept to many retailers.

Remember, as long as people keep buying these fish they will be "produced"

madagascariensis
04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
You are absolutely right Talldutchie. The question was more rhetorical than anything else...

Sandz
04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Ya know, I think a lot of it has to deal with tradition. I hear 100s of people come on and say "My dad told me I needed a sucker fish to clean the tank"... It would be nice to see Petco and lfs refuse to stock common pleco's and only stock the rare or dwarf species.

Knightia
04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
As soon as you inject the motive of profit into...well...anything - ethics goes out of the window. In the UK we are seeing this first hand with the privatisation of our beloved NHS! :sob:

Politics halt. Apologies.

Yes, that's a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

talldutchie
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Ya know, I think a lot of it has to deal with tradition. I hear 100s of people come on and say "My dad told me I needed a sucker fish to clean the tank"... It would be nice to see Petco and lfs refuse to stock common pleco's and only stock the rare or dwarf species.

We had that as well, I had one of those in my first tank. For some reason what we got were SAE, flying foxes and the like.

Even a common bristlenose would already be a massive improvement over the common "pleco". half the size and a more effective algae eater when it's adult. It's also a species that's easy to breed commercially.

Sandz
04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Yeah I consider BN a dwarf species... anything that doesnt get over 5in at full maturity. It really sucks that a hobby is mostly driven by bottom line. I would love to see more LFS that care or dont have their head up their butt and still survive.

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Ya know, I think a lot of it has to deal with tradition. I hear 100s of people come on and say "My dad told me I needed a sucker fish to clean the tank"...

You got that right, like cleaning the tank themselves is something foreign to them. I had fish for 5 years before I ever bought a sucker fish and I got him because I wanted him, not to do my cleaning for me. And then I got suckers for my tank size, not foot long pleco's. Most of them starve to death because they are put in new tanks that offer them nothing to eat or no driftwood for their diets.

talldutchie
04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
That's the spirit!

Personally I was surprised to see than an invasive species did so well that it could be exploited like this.

Sandz
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Im sure if people wanted to, they could hunt the ball pythons here in the everglades for their eggs and make a killing.