PDA

View Full Version : Creek "Shrimp"?

aquahead1
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
I have a fine net and went into my local creek. It is very wide but shallow in many places. I pulled the net through the water very swiftly and saw that there were small shrimp-like lifeforms or aquatic insects. They were about 1/4" long, and looked like some short of insect shrimp.

Does anyone know what these could be? Are they good for fish food?

mizzoutank
04-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Never heard of a shrimp that lives in a creek, but someone may correct me.

take a picture next time your out to really verify it.

but here's what i think you saw-maybe infant versions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish

aquahead1
04-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Possibly infant crawfish, yes.

madagascariensis
04-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Or if they have the tendency to lie on their sides, try looking up gammarus

aquahead1
04-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Gammarus does like like those, however they seem to have a dorsal shield-like shell structure.

talldutchie
04-08-2013, 05:07 AM
A pic would help. Knowing where in the world that creek is would also be a bonus.

cories are unable to eat something as big as gammarus.

waack
04-08-2013, 06:03 AM
In Australia a clear shrimp called glass shrimp can be caught in creeks and rivers

aquahead1
04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
This creek is in Texas, about 10-15 miles from Houston.

My camera is so bad that I don't think you'll be able to see it clearly in the photo. Looks like I'll be getting a better camera soon :P

talldutchie
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Which makes something from the gammarus family the most likely shrimp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammarus

aquahead1
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Ah, true! I do see a few photos on Google Images that look like my captures. Are these freshwater amphipods good for cory cats and/or easy to breed?

madagascariensis
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
If they are indeed gammarus, then I don't think that they would suit being cultured. Most species require very clean, flowing, well oxygenated water. If a Cory could catch one it sure would be a treat but my observations lead me to believe that gammarus are way too fast for something like a Cory and also will quickly grow too big to fit into a Cory's mouth. If you have any larger sight predators though such as larger characins, minnows, and cichlids, they probably will have a lovely time chasing down the gammarus.

mizzoutank
04-08-2013, 10:44 PM
if you decide to try it out.

probably should check your local laws-some times this stuff is protected species or endangered in certain areas. things like that come with hefty fines if caught.

aquahead1
04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
So if I culture bloodworms and/or mosquito larvae, would that be a good source of protein for my corys? I understand that bloodworms sink to the bottom naturally, and mosquito larvae naturally float, but do cory cats enjoy these live foods?

talldutchie
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Bloodworms maybe, mosquito larvae would be a difficult catch. Have you considered giving microworms a try? My pygmies love those.

aquahead1
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
So just throw out the mosquito larvae that do appear, or keep them to sell?

talldutchie
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Give it a go at least once or twice, see if they manage to get at them. Worst case tip the bucket. Mosquito larvae tend to dive to avoid danger but spend quite a bit of time at the surface. Cories aren't that good at getting food from the surface.

Fishkeeper
06-20-2013, 02:40 AM
I stick buckets of water outside now and then, then nab the skeeter larvae for my fish. I've seen cories nab the bottom-hiders, but usually it's my others that get them. If they think they're in a lot of danger, skeeters hide on the bottom a lot, so just kind of look scary at them and they dive.