PDA

View Full Version : Will cherry shrimp eat cory eggs?

Knightia
04-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I caught my cory cats spawning tonight. About 20 eggs had already been eaten by the barbs (you could see the rings on the glass) but I managed to salvage about 8 eggs this time.

I threw them in the nano shrimp tank because there is currently one or two cory catfish fry in that tank already from some hitch-hiking eggs on plant cuttings. I figured that's the best chance of survival given that the only other options are to (a) leave them to be eaten as an absolute certainty, or (b) put them in my moss tank which has a overly powerful filter (the last hatchlings got sucked up). I'm too lazy to change the filter speed.

Anyway, to stop this turning into a rambling post that no one wants to read: :geek: I threw the eggs in with the shrimp and have noticed a few shrimp investigating them and picking at them. Are they cleaning them and tasting them or will they actually do damage and eat them? They obviously didn't eat the two that came in before so am curious.

talldutchie
04-06-2013, 05:23 AM
I looked into that a while ago. They don't eat healthy eggs. According to some breeders they keep the eggs clean reducing the number they lose to fungus.