PDA

View Full Version : stripped raphael catfish

markbob
10-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know how aggressive these things really are? Looking around I am finding some really conflicting reports on reputable reference sites. I am thinking about getting one for my tank to help control snail population when my plants get here but I don't want them eating my corys or tetras.

TowBoater
10-26-2007, 02:02 AM
What kind of tetras? Neons and such would be ate but the corys and larger tetras should be fine.

markbob
10-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Cardinals. I am looking very hard to find a snail eating fish from south America and I was told that one of these guys would do but that they may be a problem in a community tank. I have found a few others but these guys looked to be one of the better bets.

TowBoater
10-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Loaches but I don't know if they are south american. I would say go for it but he may snack on a few of your cardinals when he gets big, they get like 8" I think.

blu
10-26-2007, 03:25 AM
I had a spotted raphael catfish and he was peaceful...but they will eat anything that can fit in their mouth.Depending on how bold the one you would get is he might take any sinking wafers from your other fish. Mine did..he would smell food swim out put a whole wafer in his mouth and swim away to where the other fish couldnt take it.
A very enjoyable fish though..but dont expect to see him all the time they are quite nocturnal.

Rue
10-26-2007, 03:53 AM
I had one too...very peaceful...never even saw him!

markbob
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Did ya'll's raphael eat any of your other fish? If you put multiple sinking pellets in the tank will he just take one and leave the rest for the others?

blu
10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I had all inch and a half or over sized fish and he didnt eat any. If you put more than one wafer in he should be fine as they will focus on the one they took.

markbob
10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I see that thse guys can get kinda big. I know that some fish will only grow based on the size of the tank they are living in but others will grow to full length regardless. I have a 28g bowfront and its 24in wide. Will that be sufficient to support him, my school of cories (6) and my school of tetras (not bought yet but hope for between 10 and 15 of them).

smaug
10-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I have a striped and a spotted raph.They are both very peaceful,they have coexisted with the 5 dwarf corys {.5-.75"} for a long time,if they dont eat those little buggers I think anything else would be safe.They are pigs though,shrimp pellets and wafers are eaten very swiftly by these guys.Just adjust when you feed such things,like do it when the lights are on,mine hate the light to the point where I have named them smaug and grendel.the striped one is 5" and the spotted is 6.5".They are very active at night and if you put a moonlight on your tank they are very entertaining to watch.Just make sure they have a place to hide such as a cave where he can get totally hidden during the day.

markbob
10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
How big is your tank and do you expect them to get any larger? I do have a moon light so thats good.

smaug
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
The spotted one is as big as he will get6-7" the striped will get about the same size.They are in a 58gal tank.They do eat snails but only the small pea size round type not malaysian rams.My avatar is a pic of smaug my striped raph.

TowBoater
10-27-2007, 04:09 AM
I don't recommend one in that small of a tank bud. Maybe some loaches? yoyos? Khulis?

markbob
10-27-2007, 12:16 PM
I was afraid of that. maybe when I get to set up my 75g. so now its down to either a banjo cat or a South American Puffer. Anyone have any experiance with either of these?

TowBoater
10-27-2007, 05:04 PM
What about an upside down cat?

markbob
10-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Not from South America are they? Trying very hard to keep the entire tank south american.

TowBoater
10-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Ah. You could get away with a firemouth.

markbob
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't he tear up some of my plants?

smaug
10-27-2007, 11:18 PM
kuli said:I don't recommend one in that small of a tank bud. Maybe some loaches? yoyos? Khulis?
I gotta tell ya markbob,raphs are very sedentary and truly do not need a big tank,Ive seen them in bigger tanks then mine,100gals or so,and they dont act any different.The lay around all day hiding then at night they look for food till they get enough then they go back to there cave.They dont tear up plants,the are not predatory,they dont dig.And they do eat the round type snails.Sounds about perfect for what you want.

TowBoater
10-27-2007, 11:49 PM
It is to dang big bud, how would you like to live in a closet?

smaug
10-28-2007, 02:54 AM
bud said:It is to dang big bud, how would you like to live in a closet?
have you actually kept this species,Bud.Im telling you from actual experiense with this species that it really does not take much of a tank .this advice is coming from aguy recomending a firemouth:confused: Thorichthys meeki

Synonym: Cichlasoma hyorhynchum; Cichlasoma meeki; Herichthys meeki; Heros meeki; Thorichthys helleri meeki; Thorichthys meeki

Common name: Firemouth Cichlid

Family: Cichlidae

Order: Perciformes

Class: Actinopterygii

Maximum size: 18 cm / 7 inches {a full inch or more bigger then a raph}

Environment: freshwater

Origin: Yucatan Peninsula, Central America

Temperament: Peaceful
You were just joking ,right?

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 02:56 AM
Raphael cats get 8" bud and they rarely even reach 6". I would rather see a 6" fish in a tank then a 8" fish. He has a 28g right? thats all you need for one of the firemouth.

smaug
10-28-2007, 03:11 AM
The spotted raph in my tank is only 6.5" the striped is 5" the spotted is a verified 10 years old and the striped is half that.Im fairly sure thats about as big as they are gonna get.As` I said earlier, catfish such as this are very sedentary ,unlike cichlids.It doesnt sound to me as if you have really put much thought in this.And believe me PAL, I am certainly not your BUD.As for having a pretty good idea what Im talking about,the majority of the fish in my tank are catfish and plecs.This conversation is over with me.Im not trying to insult you,Im sure you know exactly what your doingthumbs2:

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Ok you so called catfish god, how come a small 8" pictus CAT needs 100g+ and explain this...

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/striperaph.php

smaug
10-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Ill reply just one more because this is just SO much fun.
I said I was done with this subject:hmm3grin2orange:
but since you asked,the pictus cat is very active,,,,,all day,,,,,,not just at night.A pictus cat is also very much an active predator,.Thus they need much more room to roam.I gather from your profile that you enjoy hunting,so do I.If you are a very good hunter then you should understand that if a sedentary creature such as a bear {ie striped raph]has enough food in a small area ie[garbage dump]then said bear/catfish will not feel the need to wonder to look for more of something that is right under his nose.Then we go to the comparison of the fox,a very active predator ie[pictus] which wants and needs bloodier prey,he will need significantly more area to feel comfortable in.Are ya following me on this?BTW I have also owned pictus cats,I gave them to someone with a bigger tank:thumb:

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 03:54 AM
It is a nocturnal fish that needs room as I said before, I have never seen a lazy catfish except for the ones in are lake that are 40 lbs plus. Yes I hunt and I am very successful at it and sorry, we don't have bears in my area, I hunt whitetail and they move quite a bit bud as do fox as you said, I also trap. I stand by what I said which I know is right, a 8 1/2" fish is not good in a 28g. Yes my sources say 8.5" for them, not your 5", thats the size of a firemouth.

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 04:15 AM
My, My, My. This conversation went from markbob wanting to know if his cardinals would be safe having a stripped raphael catfish in the tank with them to hunting bears and whitetails.

I am not familiar with the raphael catfish. I do know my featherfin squeaker kills neons, however, at only 4 1/2 inches.

I also put my firemouth in my 29 gallon tank today. He is not full grown......5 inches tops........and has the tank to himself.

But then, that is not what the thread writter was interested in, is it?

smaug
10-28-2007, 04:19 AM
no maam.Please dont spank me:27:

Gawd_oOo
10-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Ok not to stir things up again. But you 2 are both right. Platydoras costatus Maxes out at 20cm ~8in. Is peacful, should do fine in a community tank, Min tank size should be 100L ~26g.

The Firemouth on the other hand is smaller at 12cm ~5in. but requires the same size tank. It is predatory, and more likely to snack on the tetras.

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 04:59 AM
The reason mine is housed for now in the 29. Mine wants to snack on my featherfin!

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 12:15 PM
I did forget he had the cardinals in there. I still like the idea of a 8in fish in a 28g.

markbob
10-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Lets Get ready to Ruuuuumble! Thanks guys. I think that you two need to hug and make up. :l9: I really like the Raph but I think this may not be the tank for him. I will plan on having one in my 75 when I get it set up in a few years. Thank you Mrs. Hobbs. I'm leaning towards a SAP for snail control right now but I've had the plants in there for a few days now and have only seen two and not even the same type. If it turns out that I don't get a snail infestation then I might not put anything in there.

Lady Hobbs
10-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Before I catch H***, I thought I'd better run right back here to report my Firemouth is now back in the 55 gallon. LOLOLOL He was in the 29 gallon for a total of 3 hours so please don't everyone yell at me. *sobs*

mark, you plan sounds very wise.

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Glad you changed your mine. When are you planing on getting a 75g?

markbob
10-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I already have the 75. I bought it off of a buddy with real pretty stand, filters, gravel, everything for $100. I can't set it up until I get out of the navy and buy a house because I'm renting right now and lease limits me to 20gallon tanks. But at that price I couldn't pass it up. So for now it sits in the garage collecting dust and causing daydreams.

TowBoater
10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Lol, well hopefully you can get to it soon!!:c1: