PDA

View Full Version : What is my loach eating???

ruecole
10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
He's been climbing around in my ludwegia snacking away on something, but whatever it is, it's too small for me to see. I don't think it's snail eggs (though, I've seen him eat those too!). It seems to be something attached to the plant, since he has to kind of tear it away. Do kuhli loaches eat algae?

Thanks!

Rue

Spyder
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Probably eating eggs from other fish. Harlequins lay eggs on the underside on plants and I think, but may be wrong, that the White Clouds scatter eggs but they may have dropped them into the plant.

ruecole
10-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Spyder.

I don't think it could be fish eggs, though, as all my other fish have been in the 5g hospital tank for almost a week now.

I was looking closer and it looks like there's little plants or algae growing on the edges of the plant leaves. They kinda look like little tiny grey mushroom clouds. I wonder if he's eating that?

Thanks!

Rue

Demjor19
10-26-2007, 02:26 AM
many times when you buy plants from a fish store they come w/ baby snails or snail eggs attached to them by accident and i know loaches do eat snails. maybe this is the case?

perhaps a pic could help?

ruecole
10-26-2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks, Demjor.

I don't think it's snail eggs. I've watched him snacking on eggs before. Kinda like how I'd imagine a fish would look chewing bubble gum. :sbiggrin:

It could be baby snails. I've never seen any newly-hatched before. Just once they get big enough for me to realize, "Oh, crap! We've got snails!" :hmm3grin2orange:

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's a GOOD thing he's eating it!

Thanks!

Rue