PDA

View Full Version : How do you convince a male gourami...

ruecole
10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
To build a bubble nest? :ezpi_wink1:

My female is so full of eggs she looks like she's going to pop. She keeps following the male around with this pleading look about her, but he keeps chasing her away and croaking at her. He's not being as aggressive as he was when there were babies in the tank, but he'll nudge her and nip and her and chase her off. Then she comes slinking back. It's really rather sad. :sbiggrin:

Anyway, I'm hoping he's going to start building another bubble nest soon. Otherwise, I think my female's going to have some kind of dramatic meltdown soon. ::hmm3grin2orange:

Rue

Fishalicious
10-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Not sure if you have them but floating plants are a great idea with gourami's - they love to build their nests around them and tend to build them more frequently. Also pamper the male a bit with White Mosquito Larvae that usually get's them in the mood

Good luck xx

Nautilus291
10-26-2007, 12:12 AM
maybe try a big water change that sometimes helps. And raise the water temp up a bit, if you have a heater.

ruecole
10-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Thanks, guys.

The last time he built a nest in a crevice in my big piece of driftwood, so I'm hoping he'll try and build his next one there, too. I do have some floating plants, but I think the current from the HOB filter is too much for a bubble nest built in them.

I'll see if I can get some of that mosquito larva. I've been feeding him (and the lovely little lady) bloodworms and tubifex worms as well as their regular flake.

I just did a HUGE (99%) water change yesterday (after I discovered my heater's suction cup was melting!!!! :shock:) and I'll bump the temperature a degree or two tomorrow, so hopefully that'll help trigger some amour. :sbiggrin:

Thanks!

Rue