PDA

View Full Version : Sexing your parrots ...pics

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
It is pretty obvious when you have one of each sex to see the difference.

Female is first picture with male being the second.

NO. These are not my fish! However, my two are obviously male and female.

zackish
10-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow hobbs....your really into these SA Cichlids now.

CAF
10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing the ID pics Hobbsy!

Incredulous_Ed
10-25-2007, 08:44 PM
thanks. I've been thinking about getting BPs.

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
thanks! looks like i have a male

tropfish
10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I ahve a female, i knew that for al title ibt. Did you get those form the Blood Parrot forum? i saw ones that looked jsut like them there. HWne can we asee pics of ur beautiful BP's??

Lady Hobbs
10-25-2007, 09:59 PM
I signed up for the blood parrot forum to get more information on them and when I log in, I get a "Go Away ......Banned" message. LOL Never been there yet and already banned?????

My parrots are getting ready to lay eggs. It's the funniest thing to watch and I've been laying on the couch watching them for the last 2 hours. They have moved the gravel from one spot and have themselves a nice hole. Only thing, there are now down into the plant substrate which is very fine so the parrot gets in the hole, flips his fins around and blows that fine stuff out of the hole. They are not doing much for the water quality.

I'm afraid they may swallow a stone. I think when they get moved, they will go into a sand bottom tank. They sure are busy little bees. Pick up one tiny stone, swim away, spit the stone out and back they come for one more.

Obviously you can forget about grass plants. :)

I asked the guy I got them from if they had ever lay eggs and he said no. I think they must have but he just didn't see them. Why would they lay eggs 5 days after they come here?

tropfish
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe you have better water conditions, or the move triggered breeding behavior. That's cool, but it stinks that 99.99% of males are infertile.

Without saying it too much (we need pics!) lol

crackatinny
10-25-2007, 11:23 PM
[quote=Lady Hobbs]I signed up for the blood parrot forum to get more information on them and when I log in, I get a "Go Away ......Banned" message. LOL Never been there yet and already banned?????

quote]

LOL, your reputation precedes you:wink2:

I joined a parrot (bird) forum 3 weeks ago, and need a comfirmation email to post, did not get it, even emailed there Admin and nothing, makes you wonder about some forums.

tropfish
10-26-2007, 12:00 AM
I've been trying to become a member of the BP forum since monday. They said they'd send an email and thye havent yet. Ud think that with not that many members they'd have time to confirm new ones lol.

Lady Hobbs
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
tropfish, I posted pictures of my parrots on one of the forums here but here they are again.......just for you.

First pic is Buttercup......a sweet male. Second is Goldie......my attacker.

tropfish
10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks hobbs! a WOW they're gorgeous

CAF
10-26-2007, 09:23 PM
tropfish, I posted pictures of my parrots on one of the forums here but here they are again.......just for you.

First pic is Buttercup......a sweet male. Second is Goldie......my attacker.
She is most likely attacking you because she is getting ready to spawn...

Good luck, maybe you'll have more wigglers soon...

Ocellatus
10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
you have nice parrots lady hobbs. good for them that your gravels are small enough to fit in their mouth! so they can move them and get busy with them.
my 2 females were in a tank with bigger gravels. when they got ready for their first spawn they were trying to move gravels and dig a hole but they couldn't do it and there were no slate or something in the tank. at last they laid egg straight on the gravels!
recently i moved them to a new tank and less than 10 days they laid eggs in a ... i don't know its name in english! an earthenware thing.

parrots are so funny when they are protecting thier eggs. my 2 females lay eggs together then beat each other all the time to determine who stand on eggs and protect them :)

hope your buttercup is not sterile and do his job well!