PDA

View Full Version : Cycling?

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 12:27 AM
So I understand the whole cycle process and all but I had a quick question. What should be added to help start the cycle? I'm planning on just setting my 20 gallon up without a stand or hood or anything and just letting it cycle on the floor, and I'm wondering what I should add to the tank to help the cycle start? Should I add ammonia? Or can I just add in fish flakes??

Cliff
03-24-2013, 12:29 AM
I have found it to be a whole lot easier doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia (and I have done both).

I would suggest not using flakes and to use pure ammonia

mommy1
03-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Fish flakes will work, but it is easier to control levels with bottled ammonia.

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Can either of you recommend a brand of ammonia to buy? I've heard that there's some type of chemical or something that you should be sure to check isn't in the ammonia as it can be harmful to the aquaria.

mommy1
03-24-2013, 01:01 AM
This is what I use.

Just be sure there is no fragrance or soap in the one you buy.

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Thank you so much :D

EDIT: It seems my local stores don't carry that brand... Does anyone else know any good brands that can be used??? My dad's at work now and I would like to have him stop and get ammonia on his way home so I need a good brand recommendation before like 11pm tonight. I know that is should not contain soaps, fragrances, or surfactants but knowing my father it'll be easier to tell him a specific brand to look for.

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Okay I just checked my bathroom and found ammonia. Its White Rose Clear Ammonia(all purpose cleaner). It does not have a list of additives or anything and the only written info on it is how to use it when cleaning.. There's no added fragrance(I know this because it does not say it on the bottle plus when I opened it and smelt it, it still smelt like ammonia death) and when shaken it does not foam and only creates a few bubbles that quickly rise to the surface and pop. Do you guys believe it is safe to use?

EDIT: Never mind I found the ingredients. It only lists 'soft water' and 'ammonia' does that mean it is safe?

mommy1
03-24-2013, 01:32 AM
If it is this one I think it is good.

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Not the same bottle design/shape I think my bottle is larger but yes that is the brand I'm using. Thank you very much for the help :D If my father purchases the new filter tubing, media, and rubber feet for my canister filter I should have it set up in the next week or so. So I should have a Journal up in the next few weeks on the changes that are going to be occurring for my two 10 gallons and for the set up of my 20 :D

mommy1
03-24-2013, 01:42 AM
When I googled the brand several different varieties came up, cloudy, lemon, etc... As long as the label on the bottle is the same, meaning the one you have doesn't have fragrance or soap (which you have already determined it doesn't), it doesn't matter the size/shape of the bottle. I am looking forward to reading your journal.

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 02:38 AM
Thanks so much :D

mommy1
03-24-2013, 03:05 AM
You are quite welcome, good luck and I hope your tanks cycle quickly!

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 04:58 AM
I completely forgot to ask but what amounts should I start at to get the ammonia up to around 2 - 3 ppm?? A teaspoon, tablespoon. 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, cup? What? O.o

mommy1
03-24-2013, 05:25 AM
1-2ppm is good to start in a 10 gallon, small tank = small fish and small fish don't have a huge bio-load. Once nitrites appear and ammonia is at 0ppm reduce the ammonia dose to .5-1ppm. Start with a few drops of ammonia, wait for 20-30 minutes and test for ammonia level, then add a couple more drops, continue this way until you have 1-2ppm. The initial amount depends on the strength of ammonia you have, I used a cap full for the initial dose on my 75 gallon, others have needed the same amount or a bit more for smaller tanks. It's better to need to add more, than add too much and have to do a water change to bring the level down.

Gesp56
03-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Okay thank you for all the help. My father ordered the stuff I needed for the filter and when it comes in I should be able to set up and start cycling my 20 gallon.