PDA

View Full Version : Possible ban on importing fish into US

Triton
03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/03/19/tough-new-wildlife-import-regulations-proposed-for-us/

talldutchie
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Given the problems you guys have with invasive species in some areas the idea in itself isn't that bad

Triton
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I personally think it should just be more punishment for releasing species... or have it so that truly invasive species are documented... no matter what I think it would be tough to police... and this proposal would close down so many businesses that it just couldn't happen. Every aquarium business would be shut down, all local fish stores also

Lady Hobbs
03-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Every fish on that list is easy to spawn and the fish farms in the US don't need the imports. We should only be importing the fish we can not breed and raise within our own country. What's so wrong with supporting our own businesses?

Allowing invasive species into our waters is a very expensive thing to clean up and our own system is being ruined by these people. We've spent million to get rid of the Asian Carp, for instance, but they have moved all the way up into Canada waters and the Great Lakes.

They need stronger fines for these darned snakes all over in FL, as well.

Trillianne
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
It looks as though the law is written to allow for a listing of species that are to be excluded/banned from import based on the risk factor of an invasive proliferation likelihood. It specifically words such things as recognized domestic animals being excluded, to the point of naming goldfish as a recognized domestic animal.

Where it fails to pass muster is that the only downside to disobeying the law is a "reasonable fee." So if you are importing... prices go up to cover rarity and this fee amount and since there is no downside on the ownership end of things, then importing them becomes a more profitable revenue stream.

I too, would rather the law be focused on the animal welfare end in regards to selling these types of creatures and in regard to the ownership abuses. I'd praise a law that required animal welfare and correct animal care information in the pet stores... and stiffer penalties for releasing or mistreatment of animals once they are in an owner possession.

Triton
03-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Every fish on that list is easy to spawn and the fish farms in the US don't need the imports. We should only be importing the fish we can not breed and raise within our own country. What's so wrong with supporting our own businesses?

Allowing invasive species into our waters is a very expensive thing to clean up and our own system is being ruined by these people. We've spent million to get rid of the Asian Carp, for instance, but they have moved all the way up into Canada waters and the Great Lakes.

They need stronger fines for these darned snakes all over in FL, as well.

Law also says you can't transport across state lines... so say I want to buy any african cichlid, if I don't have a local breeder I can't get it in. I understand how bad some can be if released... but this is a bit too extreme

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
This topic comes up regarding "proposed" legislation every couple of years. Bill Nelson of FL is one of the sponsors so I have to assume his concern is in FL waters that is warm enough for imported tropicals. In our states where we have winters, most of those fish would not live through a winter anyway. There was a guy on here last year that was trying to cross state lines with piranha's during a move. Transporting of those across state lines apparently is already in place to some degree.

I really don't think african cichlids will be a problem. I think they are probably more concerned with invasive species that would be harmful to our own eco system.