PDA

View Full Version : How do i feed my african dwarf frogs

grizzly
10-25-2007, 02:57 AM
I just purchased 2 african dwarf frogs and i was wondering how should i feed them. I bought a turkey baster and some brine shrimp. The only problem with the brine shrimp is that it floats to the top quite fast. I put the food in front of them and they didn't even bother. I am assuming its because i just got them and they wont eat for a day or so. Hopefully they get a little more aggressive when they have an appetite. How do you guys feed your frogs? Should i feed them just 2 times a day? They mostly just sit in one spot and hide all day. They will move a little bit and go back into hiding. I haven't noticed any of the fish harassing them. Is it normal for them to hide all day?

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2007, 02:59 AM
theyre scavengers and eat the odd flake or pellet

grizzly
10-25-2007, 03:15 AM
alright so i decided to give the blood worms a try with the turkey baster. SUCCESS!! haha i am quite pleased. They snapped it right up. Do these guys eat algae wafers?? I might not use them because my mollies just hover over them. I have heard of frog pellets. I going to check the other store to see if they have any.

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2007, 03:39 AM
i dont think he would eat algae wafers, too hard to chew

ruecole
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi grizzly,

Blood worms, tubifex worms, black worms, etc. are definitely the way to go with these little guys. They like live or frozen sinking food. And they're strictly meat eaters, so they won't touch algae wafers. I've never seen them eat flake food either. I couldn't get mine (RIP little guys... :scry:) to eat sinking pellets, either. They just aren't soft enough.

If they're babies, I'd feed them once a day (about 3-4 worms each, or enough to make they're bellies bulge), but once they reach adulthood, they only need to eat every other day. They're prone to getting fat, too. So you'll need to watch you don't overfeed them. Also, be sure to feed them a variety of foods. They become prone to disease (bloat especially) if they only ever eat one thing.

Yes, it's completely normal for them to hide all day. They're nocturnal, so they'll be more active at night (or when the light's out). Plus they're pretty shy, so they'll hide for a week or so, then start to become more active/social. It really depends what else is in the tank, though. Aggressive fish will make your froggies more reclusive.

Here's a really great page I found on African Dwarf Frogs that covers a lot of the basics (and has pictures too!):

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/other-aquatic-creatures/23215-revised-extensive-african-dwarf-frog-article-faq.html

Hope that helps!

Rue