PDA

View Full Version : Ideal dwarf plecos for a 29g planted/driftwood heavy tank.

FishGuy67
03-17-2013, 09:29 PM
I won't be getting a pleco for a long time since they are so expensive and I need to have a really healthy tank before I'd consider a 50+ dollar fish. My favorites in order, Zebra, scribbled/netwrok/king tiger, tiger, candy stripe, then panther. I'll know which they can order 2morrow but until then I'd like some input.

PH is 6.4 and I have an emperor 400 and 2 jebo filters rated at 100gh each and like the title says tons of driftwood and plants; eventually the tank will have 7 Julii corys, 7 stebra corys, 6 tetras (still waiting to hear which they can order for me) 1 GBR. I know it's going to be stocked on the heavier side but ill be adding new fish slowly and I have no issues with doing water changes.

So which would you all recommend once my tank is past cycled and very healthy. Other types of pleco options welcomed they were just my favorites. I've had a bristlenose and regular pleco in the past; fairly new to the expensive dwarf plecos.

Greentoads41
03-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm sure if you have thought about clown plecos, right? Is it just a personal preference to not consider them? They sound perfect for your tank thumbs2: Seems like your tank will look very nice!

ekfishlover2011
03-17-2013, 09:53 PM
i have a clown. They are only $5 where i am and they are beautiful and have great personalities and are awesome and dwarf. :)

ScottishFish
03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
I recently got rid of all my Clowns to concentrate on breeding BN's. They are great little fish, I do have an L226 the now, which I think may be the tiger pleco you reffered to I think they might get slightly too large for you.

Using L numbers is far more accurate as common names overlap far too much. Tiger pleco can easily cover many species :22:

FishGuy67
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I did use the L Numbers, I left the list at the petshop and quick jotted down a list for myself but I left out the L numbers I gave the pet shop.....ooops. The boss comes in Monday and will let me know what is available I might call and add clown couple to the list they are rather nice....and cheap heh.

I have ALWAYS wanted a zebra pleco but was never willing to pay that much for a fish until now. I listed the L numbers; on planet catfish none get over 3-3.9 inches. Since all I can have is this single 29g money isn't a concern I'll pay $50+ plus if I can get a true zebra or if not maybe a tiger they were my top 2. I'd love to get 2 plecos but that's too much I think for the tank unless I ditch the GBR or something.

genocidex
03-18-2013, 12:55 AM
You know true zebra plecos need meaty food and wont do much damage on any algae. Do you have any experience with plecos? If not id work my way up from bns before you spend well over 200$ for a zebra. Thats a low price for true zebras btw...

FishGuy67
03-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Wow that's quite a lot. I've plenty of experience with Bristle nose and normal ones. I'm looking to get a great looking dwarf variety as my final fish for the tank once I stock the rest.

genocidex
03-18-2013, 03:09 AM
just an idea:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1136&pcatid=1136
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp&1363615927
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp&1363960067

those are all zebra plecos.
there are a substitute that shouldnt run you more than 15-40$.... if i can thing about it ill post the name and number

L-333 , L-340 , L134

i have a thread on this subject:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=80119&highlight=zebra
quite old lol

talldutchie
03-18-2013, 05:36 AM
With the proposed stocking the bottom is heavily loaded, too heavy IMO.

With 14 cories in a heavily planted 29g I hope you used sand to allow the maximum use of open spaces.

A "clown pleco" is the common term for L066 isn't it? That will need it warmer than the cories can comfortably take. With this stocking I think peckoltia vittata or L014 is a much better option. MAtches the temp range of the rest and is quite mild mannered.

FishGuy67
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
I really opened a can of worms on the subject lol. Thx for all the info, I had no idea there were so many fakes in this hobby until I started ordering through a LFS; they don't even know they are getting the wrong species half the time.. I have tons of time to think about plecos since it would be the last fish to go in next to my GBR; weather I should even get another fish to begin with even.

Everyone has been telling me to keep at least 7 corys of a type (I have no experience with them) so considering how small they are and how the actual obstacles of driftwood and plants are mostly vertical along with a sand bottom I thought it would be okay. It does sounds like a ton of fish on my tank bottom but when I think about it they will likely come in at an inch or so.

Since I decided not to do SW I thought I'd challenge myself a bit and do a planted cory centric tank neither of which I've had before. I'm already over $100 in and haven't bought any fish (saved alot of money reusing filters, tank, and stand at least). I'm also a far cry from heavily planted atm with a koi mauling my plants until I can swap him for cories.

mommy1
03-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I agree, that is a lot of bottom dwelling fish. How about picking one cory species and getting 10 of one species instead of 7 of 2 different species. The ones you listed get up to 2.5 and 3 inches each, have you considered the smaller panda cory? They would be better suited for the footprint of a 29g. Personally, I would choose either the ram or the pleco (I like clowns), just to keep plenty of room in the bottom of the tank.

talldutchie
03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
I really opened a can of worms on the subject lol. Thx for all the info, I had no idea there were so many fakes in this hobby until I started ordering through a LFS; they don't even know they are getting the wrong species half the time.. I have tons of time to think about plecos since it would be the last fish to go in next to my GBR; weather I should even get another fish to begin with even.

Well.. identifying loricariidae is sometimes tricky. The fact that a lot of people in the states refer to them all as "plecs" and that most dealers use common names and not L-numbers does not help. (we get that annoying habit over here as well now)

i'd say either buy via aquabid or find a good local dealer and even then check the identification

Everyone has been telling me to keep at least 7 corys of a type (I have no experience with them) so considering how small they are and how the actual obstacles of driftwood and plants are mostly vertical along with a sand bottom I thought it would be okay. It does sounds like a ton of fish on my tank bottom but when I think about it they will likely come in at an inch or so.

I don't think I quite understand this. C. Julii reaches an adult length of a little over 2 inch and the same goes for sterbai. Getting two groups of 7 would sort of work. Considering the floor space and that you want one special "plec" a group of 10 of either sterbai or julii makes the most sense. The cories love being in big groups of the same species.

FishGuy67
03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I was thinking of the size I'd get them at I didn't realize that they can get near 3 inches. Now I'm thinking maybe 7-10 or so of the sterba. I wish I could do 2 groups of 5 but it seems that isn't the way to go. I really like the look of the sterba corys and that way like you said I'd have one big happy school with a nice dwarf pleco instead of more corys.

My LFS can get me sterbas for 7 bucks a piece which is kinda high; I'd order online but with how my tank is I can't order all the fish I want at once so shipping would kill me. I'm still waiting to hear their prices on the tetras and plecos I want.

Sterbas can also handle the higher temps a GBR would like; unlike many of my other cory options. Something I also need to take into consideration with a pleco. I've always kept central/south american cichlids and kind of miss them so I will def. be getting a GBR.

Also on the note of higher temps what are some good dwarf plecos for 80-82 degree water??

talldutchie
03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Looks like I nudged you in the right direction. I assume you know about planetcatfish.com

Anyway... hypancistrus or peckoltia are the best genus to look at.

Strider199
03-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Have you researched a Bulldog Rubber-lipped pleco? I have one which got along well with my GBR pair and 6 Panda Cories in a driftwood. planted 29 gallon. Weekly veggie feeding were a must but everyone seemed content until they found a 55 gallon to call home. Now minus the GBR pair, they reside in my sons somewhat smaller tank with the schools of tetras.
If your going to stock on the heavy side make sure you have as much filtration as you can afford.

FishGuy67
03-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Planet catfish is down so I haven't been able to look into plecos much but my only concern about a bulldog rubber-lipped is that my tanks black sand and background so I need fish that will stand out.

I'm rocking an emperor 400, and 2 jebos each rated at 100gph; I turn over my tank water 20 times an hour atm. I have as many filters that can fit on the back as possible. I could look into maybe swapping those 2 jebos out for a bio wheel filter or something similar as long as it can fit in 12 inches of space. I will never buy another emperor tho, not because they aren't good filters but because they are noisy as hell even having replaced parts on it after wear.

Strider199
03-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Are the Jebos canister filters? I have only run a Fluval canister and it was super quiet and it did the job. The 350 Penguin with duel Bio-wheels was ok but a little noisy when the water level dropped 1/2 inch.
I haven't tried a larger AC type HOB but alot of hobbyists say they rock.

I like canisters for the quiet, easy to clean, and they do the job.

My tank has black gravel and the bulldog sticks out on it. He makes sure you see him, like a pet dog. "Give me a treat." is what I get out of that. lol

FishGuy67
03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I haven't ever used canister filters but it's crossed my mind; it's a shame I got so many emperor 400s and jebos that hang off the back when I first got started with the hobby. The jebos are quiet but the emperor makes a constant humming sound which drives me nuts if the tank water is so high you can't hear the water sound to cover it up.

My fish tank is in my zen room so no electronics etc just my fish, a papasan chair, and my library. The humming would be nice to get rid of with a nice quiet canister filter.I really like the idea of making the switch but wouldn't it cause another cycle? or could I use the filter media I have inside the hanging filters?

You really love your bulldog pleco don't you? They look pretty cool, I did some research (planetcatfish is still down for me) and they get 5 inches which would be a lil too big for my 29g how it's stocked, unless I found the wrong species while looking. I'm aiming for a 3-4inch max size pleco.

MuckyFish
04-07-2013, 09:01 PM
-> I really like the idea of making the switch but wouldn't it cause another cycle? or could I use the filter media I have inside the hanging filters?

Replying to post number 18, if you are transferring from one filter to another you can run both in parallel for a while I have seen others say run in parallel for 8 weeks. That's what I am currently doing with my bio wheel, it will be transferred to tank in the garage where the noise it makes will no longer interfere with the TV. Transferring the media would work typically work unless it is a bio-wheel or used to getting more oxygen than in the cannister. I will be making the final part of my switch as soon as I have sorted out power extensions in the garage next week.

I use an Aquatop Cf-500 behemoth for my cannister, there are smaller versions though. It is very quiet and stays quiet so long as you don't accidentally run it dry and damage the impeller. The reviews online might give you the impression that it is silent but that is not the case. I don't notice the noise unless there are no other sounds.

FishGuy67
04-08-2013, 03:21 AM
It can't be louder than my emperor 400 that thing drives me insane. Also with sand the impellers wear rather fast so I'm always buying new ones; maybe when I have some extra cash I'll do like you said with a canister filter.

Still debating getting more light for the tank if my god forsaken driftwood would sink I've been waiting 2 months now and its still tied down in there to a bigass rock. I could order a nice package from mikeswetpets on aquabid. All I got was junk plant wise around here infested with MTS even when I took my koi back and got free plants they were sad looking compared to what that guy sells on aquabid.

Ghpr13
05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
What's a GBR?
Ghpr13

mommy1
05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
A GBR is a german blue ram.

Ghpr13
05-14-2013, 08:09 PM
A GBR is a german blue ram.

Honey Badger,
Thank you!
Ghpr13

Fish from Filly
05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I have a long fin albino bushy-nose and he is awesome. Good luck!