PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates

Nick89
10-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Ok, so i have 1 last question. I plan on getting an oscar and while hes small he is going to sulk for awhile and I figure id get some fish to liven it up a little bit for the time being, before he eats them. So, i was thinking on a few fish. Giant Danios: Very fast, active. Problem: Will my oscar be quick enough to get food?
Next selection Blue Rams: Very pretty (expensive too, 12 bucks a fish) and a lot of character. Problem: Can i Keep just one or they need to be in schools? And will it nip my oscar? And the last one Tiger Barbs: active, pretty and hardy. Problem: Are they too aggressive for 1 baby oscar?

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2007, 12:01 AM
rams would get killed, but any fish that are fast and too big for his mouth are fine until the oscar gets large. ive had luck with convicts

Nautilus291
10-25-2007, 12:04 AM
go for a big group of loaches I love my yoyos they swim around in a big school and do a great job of cleaning up the tank. No worries about over feeding here! I have 8 yoyo loaches in my tank and I think there great.

Nick89
10-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, my oscar will only be under 2'' head to fin. What would you reccomend other than convicts?

cocoa_pleco
10-25-2007, 12:12 AM
you could try a severum or maybe bloodparrot, but you would be overstocked

deckard_wa
10-25-2007, 12:43 AM
For your 55.....if you absolutely must get some more fish, out of the ones you mentioned i would pick giant danios. they will add some movement for you and as your o grows he will pick them off most likely. the may also lessen his sulking time to a degree

Nick89
10-25-2007, 12:59 AM
why do they sulk? lol and im going with the giant danios. But will my oscar get any food?

deckard_wa
10-25-2007, 01:15 AM
They sulk because they are babies and in a strange place. They think they are going to be eaten either by you or some unseen predator. The presence of barbs and tetras and similar fish can make them feel a bit more secure

Oh and yes......when they are hungry they will eat

Fishguy2727
10-25-2007, 01:17 AM
You can use sinking foods for the oscar. You can also use food just a little too large for the giant danios to eat right away. This way they run around with one pellet in their mouth while it softens. This allows the oscar to grab his food.

Nick89
10-25-2007, 01:22 AM
i didnt want to have to buy more food. I got a little bag of hikari cichlid gold which is suppose to be top of the line stuff. What about tiger barbs?

Fishguy2727
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Hikari's best food is the Cichlid Bio-Gold+. The best stuff out there is New Life Spectrum.

Tiger barbs would be a good option. Having fish with them since they are small can help keep them less aggressive.

TowBoater
10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I feed the sinking chichlid gold from Hakari. Good stuff, mine are spoiled to sinking kind, they don't come to the top for anything but crickets.

Nick89
10-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Ok, cool I might just get New Life Spectrum. Whats the best brand of it? And how much does it usually cost? And also, a BRAND new pet shop called PetPro just opened up around here. Im checking it out on saturday. Now i really cant have any aggressive fish towards my little oscar, i odnt want his fins to be missing. So, i think i might just get my oscar first, let him get use to me, and me feeding him and then add some fish in. But i dunno.

Nick89
10-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh and whats the usual growth rate for an oscar? Ive hear half inch a month to a full inch.

Fishguy2727
10-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Every oscar (and any animal) is different for growth rate.

Pick the type of NLS based on size and whether it floats or sinks.

What size tank will he be in full grown? I consider a 75 to be minimum for one or two full grown oscars (unless you end up with an 18+" monster). The best tankmate is usually another oscar and they grow up together.

Nick89
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
well i just want some dither fish to liven up the tank a little bit, make it seem a little more active. that way, the oscar will know its ok to swim around by seeing the other fish grabbing food and what not. If you check out the thread in tank setup theres a picture of my tank. let me know what ya think.

Nick89
10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Just wondering. I found a small spider in my tank just sitting in one spot. I scooped it out and put it in the sink. Is there anything i should be concerned about with the spider being in the tank? Theres no fish in the tank.