PDA

View Full Version : Gar's in 55?

MasterJW
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Are there any gar that would fit in a 55 gallon? if so, are there any online breeders?

mommy1
03-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Not really, the smallest gar still reaches a possible 2ft in length. A 55 gallon would not give one adequate swimming room. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/predatory/gars.php

MasterJW
03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
oh, would any pickerel work in that tank.

mommy1
03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Not really again, the smallest, the grass pickerel, still can reach 10 inches and sometimes bigger. I know from your other thread you want to stock your tank with native fish, but as mentioned in your other thread, you will have to find fish that stay much smaller. Are you willing to tell us what state you are in, maybe someone can make suggestions that would work in your tank?

MasterJW
03-11-2013, 12:53 AM
east Tennessee

mommy1
03-11-2013, 01:11 AM
There are several neat fish from the Tennessee area, http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/getting-to-know-your-neighbors-our-native-fishes-full-article.htm Here is a list of several native species, you will have to research how big each one gets and its environmental needs and whether or not the species needs a group or can be a single specimen, but it seems like a good place to start. http://www.nanfa.org/convention/98tnaquarium.shtml

MasterJW
03-11-2013, 01:35 AM
cool articles, searched the darters, great looking fish. The pygmy sunfish was also really cool.

Crispy
03-11-2013, 02:39 AM
I think there may be a small species of needlenose gar which aren't true gar but very similar that may work.

mommy1
03-11-2013, 03:23 AM
I'm glad you found some fish you like that are more appropriate for your tank, and good for you for doing research before you make the mistake of improperly stocking your 55 gallon. There are a lot of beautiful and interesting native species that are much more appropriate for aquarium life, but so many people out there selfishly get fish knowing they will eventually out grow their tanks just for the sake of bragging rights. <--- not accusing you of this. Their intentions are usually good, they KNOW they are going to get a bigger tank as soon as the fish need it, but often that bigger tank never happens and the fish suffer in the long run. There is a saying many of us throw out around here, "stock the tank you have, not the tank you are going to get".

genocidex
03-11-2013, 04:52 AM
I think there may be a small species of needlenose gar which aren't true gar but very similar that may work.

i think those top out around 15" if im not mistaken...

if you want gar ish fish you can get Celebes Half Beak.... those are 3" fish ... but ya if you want native then that site would be very helpful.

edited for a mistake on gar size...

MasterJW
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
thanks, what about western silver dollar sun fish. I'm pretty sure those stay small.

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
In several states, it's against the law to take fish from the wild, as well. You might want to check on that. Is there some reason you are only interested in those from the wild?

There are very few larger type fish suitable for a 55 gallon.

MasterJW
03-11-2013, 07:53 PM
No, I think it would be better to buy the fish from an online breeder so that they are more likly to be pellet trained and there is less of a risk of parasites.

madagascariensis
03-12-2013, 01:06 PM
It may be a bit hard to find, but it has the long snouted snaggle toothed look and predatory habits you might be looking for, and it even fits in your tank. The fish I am talking about? Belonesox belizanus. Not quite a gar, but close...:hmm3grin2orange:

MasterJW
03-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Wow, man that thing looks crazy! Looks like a platy and a gar mixed!

genocidex
03-12-2013, 10:29 PM
those look like Celebes Half Beak lol...

MasterJW
03-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Would those eat everything else in the tank?

genocidex
03-12-2013, 11:32 PM
all preditors will try to eat anything else in the tank. the idea is to stock with fish that they wont consider prey.