PDA

View Full Version : breeding angels

coarb34
03-09-2013, 06:45 PM
hi there i
i would like to start breeding angels. Any info would be appreciated.
ive got to resun filters running, one with ceramic rings in, the other just plain sponge, one two hundred watt heater, and a 30 watt light rated for better viewing of fish and also rated for plant growth. All for and running in a 64 gallon tank

talldutchie
03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Didn't you just have an epidemic wipe out most of your tank? Better get on top of that first.

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid,%20Angelfish%20IV.htm is a good place to start reading.

coarb34
03-09-2013, 07:32 PM
gathering info first on breeding while im taking care of my outbreak, maybe a month ore 2 before i start breeding

talldutchie
03-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Well, in that case you should be well prepared by then.

I looked at it, the one I posted above is as good as most. Like with a lot of fish feeding the fry the first 10 days or so is your biggest challenge.

coarb34
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
thats true, even now im still doing rookie mistakes now and then. there is some fish fry food availible here, is there any food i can grow for both the breeding pair and fry for the best results

talldutchie
03-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Microworms go down well with growing fry. Freshly hatched brine shrimp are probably best for the first week.

Adults.. Good dry foods, some frozen bloodworm. Mosquito larvae tend to go down well with almost any fish and in RSA it shouldn't be too difficult to grow those.

coarb34
03-09-2013, 08:24 PM
then its time to get some containers going for the mosquito larvae and brine shrimp, will live plants help with angels.
The sword plants ive got i am going to trim and the other plants i have are begining to take root nicely

talldutchie
03-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Anything that makes the fish feel more comfortable will help. Some tall plants will help

madagascariensis
03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
If you don't want to mess around with culturing live foods, I hear that some people have used sera micron(if you can get it) as a fry food successfully, although I still prefer microworms.

coarb34
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
thanks guys, some nice reading and some work to do before i start even getting started breeding properly. At least this way i will only start in two months time properly. at least i can get everything running properly. Ill set my little 5 gallon a general qt

Sandz
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Angels are one of the easier fish to breed once you have a pair. If you are breeding to sell and not just for fun or fry I would get some type of blue angel. Its one of the more marketable angels (at least in the USA) right now and its going to be the more expensive of the angels so will repay your hard work a bit better.

Once you have a pair, a single 20g tank with a sponge filter and breeding cone is sufficient. Also daily-3x a week water changes of 50% or more will aid your pair.

Small foods are out there. I personally used a product called Liquifry. A drop does a whole clutch. Baby brine shrimp are a pain but if you wanna do breeding they are a good resource. Also finely crushed flake food or powdered pellets fed directly by suringe or baster. Also a few plants in the tank helps with angels. It encourages algae and other things to grow and will allow for suplemental feeding that aids those first two weeks.

Jaster
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I would do a lot of reading and planning before you jump into this. There is a lot involved. Where will you put the young to grow out? You'll need a few tanks for that. What will you do with them once they're grown? Do you have stores around you that will take them?
I have a lot of fun breeding my angels but it is also a fair amount of work too. Have to keep the tanks clean, water changes, feeding a few times a day....

Check out www.angelsplus.com. they have some great info that will help you out. Also check out the angel forum. http://angelfish.net/VBulletin/index.php

coarb34
03-17-2013, 09:48 AM
thanks for the info guys and gals, just taking care of the last little bit of disease before i do anything. THere is at least 4 petstores that will take angels of my hands. Now its to find a good colour and breeding pair,preferably a young pair. So at least i know im still at least six to eight weeks away at best, then its also setting up my old three foot for breeding and grow out tank, at least ive got time to take care of my tank properly

coarb34
03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
anyone know any suppliers of blue angels willing to ship to south africa

coarb34
03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
how many angels would be a good number of angels to get to start of with

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Breeding of angels takes several larger tanks to keep the fry. A mated pair will spawn about every two weeks with batches separated into other tanks for raising. Sponge filters should be running in the main tank so they can get a cycle and ready to go into other tanks when fry are moved.

Unless you have a confirmed buyer for them, best not to venture into this or you'll have hundreds of fish with no buyers for them.

Jaster
03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
I know angelsplus has some nice blue stained angels. I'm not sure about their shipping though. I would also check aquabid.com. I've seen some very nice fish there.

Indian Woods Angels
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
You may be closer to the Asian market source for angel fish. If you do not have a lot of variety in angels in SA you might try to figure out if you can get some shipped in from Asia. There are a lot of quality operations in Thailand, Hong Kong and I think Singapore. I wish I could offer more info.

coarb34
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
so far ive got 6 people from retail interested,im trying to get a good colour stain going first,they are looking at about 900 a week so that won't be a problem getting rid of even if they're 3 bucks a piece