PDA

View Full Version : DropCam-You guys are gonna love this

AllenIsbell
03-09-2013, 02:40 AM
A guy on a local forum got the idea of buying one of these DropCams:

https://www.dropcam.com/

You can get them for around $150 on Amazon. Basically, it is a wireless camera that you can stream anywhere. You can watch it on a computer or smart phone. AWESOME!

The guy on the forum bought it so he could keep an eye on his tank. The cool thing is, you can share your video stream!

Click on this link to see his live feed:

https://www.dropcam.com/p/Fish

The tank is a little dirty, but hey, it's about the quality and frame rate of the video feed. HD and 60fps.

I had something like this set up on my computer via an app called iCam. It worked only half the time, and didn't look as good as this.

What do you all think about it?

I definitely want to get one.

mommy1
03-09-2013, 02:57 AM
Neat. There are a few people here who set up live streams of their tanks once in a while and I always enjoy watching them. Who needs tv.

Cliff
03-09-2013, 03:31 AM
That is a pretty cool idea

genocidex
03-09-2013, 03:46 AM
i would think for 150$ youd get more than a wifi cammera with a live feed access.... lol. does like good quality tho.

talldutchie
03-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Webcams on tanks are about as old as, well... webcams.

In this case... the position is horrible! You only see a tiny part of the tank!

AllenIsbell
03-10-2013, 01:45 AM
The fact that it is simple to use, HD, 60 fps, and can stream on multiple devices is what's appealing.

Go buy a comparable webcam, and use Skype. It may be a little cheaper, but it takes 2 people to start the call, it won't be 60 fps, and you won't be streaming to anyone but yourself unless you set up a conference call.

It's a good deal.

When I set up my first tank with a canister filter, I was scared that something may leak and flood my house. I got the iCam thing I talked about. It worked great at home. As soon as I tried it away from home, there were connection issues, lag issues, and streaming issues. Waste of time.

Aeonflame
03-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Skype? lol...

That's what Ustream is for dude. Ive been doing this quite a while

AllenIsbell
03-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Use whatever you want, dude. I'm just a geek who thought he'd share a cool gadget.

fishmommie
03-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Use whatever you want, dude. I'm just a geek who thought he'd share a cool gadget.
And most of us appreciate that you shared it! Thanks, Allen

steeler58
03-10-2013, 04:16 AM
That's pretty cool Allen, thanks for sharing with us.

By the way I always enjoy your video's.

AllenIsbell
03-10-2013, 03:41 PM
You're welcome, and I'm glad you are enjoying my videos! I am really happy with the quality that I am getting out of my new camera.

I tried out UStream. It works fine if you don't mind a huge delay in your feed. I didn't expect it to be that bad when having over 30Mb/s internet.

mommy1
03-10-2013, 03:54 PM
I enjoyed watching it, in fact, I think I will watch it some more.

AllenIsbell
03-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Lol okay thanks

AllenIsbell
03-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Messing around with UStream. I am streaming a shot of my tank right now. I'm using my phone so it won't be on there for too terribly long.

http://ustre.am/V1pr

My Lawnmower Blenny is being crazy tonight haha.