PDA

View Full Version : My parrot fish spawn

Ocellatus
10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
they are my 2 parrot fish. its their second spawn and they both are female and lay eggs together! so there will be no fry.
also as far as i know male parrots can't fertilize the eggs for genetic reasons. the way to breed them is pairing them off with red devils or flower horns or severums and similar cichlids.

CAF
10-24-2007, 05:47 PM
they are my 2 parrot fish. its their second spawn and they both are female and lay eggs together! so there will be no fry.
also as far as i know male parrots can't fertilize the eggs for genetic reasons. the way to breed them is pairing them off with red devils or flower horns or severums and similar cichlids.
There have been unverified reports of successful breeding of two parrots...

But I'm glad your fish are happy enough to try to spawn!

Ocellatus
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
yes thats right but i was saying generally.
i'm glad too! even that female green terror in second pic is ready to spawn. i saw this morning her breeding tube was fully out. its her first time.
i should get some dudes for them :)

CAF
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
yes thats right but i was saying generally.
i'm glad too! even that female green terror in second pic is ready to spawn. i saw this morning her breeding tube was fully out. its her first time.
i should get some dudes for them :)
I would!!! See if you can get some babies.

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2007, 10:35 PM
They are several reported successful spawning of blood parrots with other cichlids. Not parrots together, however. Their off spring will resemble either the Severum or the Red devil if that's what they have spawned with. That is.....female bp to male cichlid.

This may be of interest to you.
http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/breeding.html

Ocellatus
11-03-2007, 08:48 AM
10 days later, one of them is spawning again.
this time they are not allied!! one is spawning and the other goes behind her and eat the eggs!

Arkie
11-03-2007, 09:11 AM
you must have some very happy fish!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

gm72
11-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I would definitely get a male and see what happens!

Lady Hobbs
11-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I removed the flower pot and cleaned the eggs off after the male started to get a bit snippy with the female. Mine are female and male so the eggs would not have been any good, anyway, but I found it strange the eggs had not died. Most were still transparent after 5 days.

AquaQueen
11-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Wow...That is soooo cool looking. It must have even better to watch it!! I would be trying to mate them too...they are obviously wanting to...lol

Ocellatus
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
thanks friends.

yeah i should bring a mate to them. but finding a fertile male BP is somehow impossible. i should try other fish. i have 2 red devils but i don't know exactly they are male or female. also i think they are not ready yet. they are 11 months old. i put one of my BPs in their tank yesterday, BP was totally ready to go with one of them, she was shaking herself and digging gravels at the moment i introduced her to the tank! but nothing happened except they was killing poor BP.

I removed the flower pot and cleaned the eggs off after the male started to get a bit snippy with the female. Mine are female and male so the eggs would not have been any good, anyway, but I found it strange the eggs had not died. Most were still transparent after 5 days.

i let them eat the eggs, i think its more nutritious than foods i give them :D

oh that green terror in the first post, here she is!
seems she didn't like flower pot, laid eggs on gravels.

Ocellatus
01-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Now i can understand why my BPs not growing, because they were dyed http://qsmile.com/qsimages/258.gif

its near 1 year that i have them and it seems they are stunned at 3-4" long. i didn't know anything about dyed fish when i started having aquarium 11 months ago. ( even didn't know anything about normal fish! lol )

everyone says dyed fish will have a short lifespan. i like my 2 female BPs very much and i feel sad for them http://qsmile.com/qsimages/252.gif and i'm trying to keep them happy and pleased.

one of them was green colored, i used a Tetra redparrot food for a while and she got her natural color. she still has some green spots on her body. another one is yellow-orange and its not changed, seems its her natural.

those little buddies spawn every 2 weeks. here are some new pics of them i got yesterday. she was rubbing her breeding tube on the gravels but i couldn't see any eggs comming out!! i think shes ran out of eggs :hmm3grin2orange:

hope they stay happy for a long time http://qsmile.com/qsimages/92.gif

sanddigger
01-13-2008, 01:38 PM
they look healthy and happy. Seems like you have "jelly bean" parrots. They are dyed most frequent. Jellies are suppose to have convict genes, so maybe get some pink convicts and see what happens?

It's great that they are trying to spawn, my BPs just "hang out" and eat:c7:

Ocellatus
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah maybe they don't grow because they are jellybeans, i read jellys max. size is around 4".
and yeah i should try a male pink convict later! theres been a male severum with them for 1 month or more but seems they don't like each other! lol

Tolley
01-14-2008, 09:04 PM
sorry to hear tht your parrots may be dyed.

btw.. thts shot is awesome you can see your severums real nice colours and textures!

Incredulous_Ed
01-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Sorry to hear hey are dyed. If you take excellent care of them, they can still lead a happy and helthy life.

Ocellatus
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Well I found one of my old threads after 7 months. lol
an update of those parrots, happily messing up with their new fine substrate!

angelcakes
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
love that first picture it looks like one of them is picking up sand and spitting it:hmm3grin2orange: another fantastic thread blu.......:19: :19: :19:

Lady Hobbs
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I wondered who was posting to a year old thread. LOL

Tank looks great. What are you using for substrate? I like the looks of it. AND THE WOOD!

Abbeys_Mom
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
If they are Jelly bean parrots, they can breed by themselves.

Ocellatus
08-20-2008, 08:47 AM
love that first picture it looks like one of them is picking up sand and spitting it:hmm3grin2orange: another fantastic thread blu.......:19:
Thanks! yeah they are some crazy diggers! I got some shots of her spitting out the gravels but they all turn blurry because of the fast movement and weak camera!
I attach 2 more shots, did a little photoshop work on them to make them more clear!
look at the second one, her triangle shape made her like a drop of an orange liquid :hmm3grin2orange:

I wondered who was posting to a year old thread. LOL

Tank looks great. What are you using for substrate? I like the looks of it. AND THE WOOD!
Thank you hobbs, well I don't know the name of that substrate, and we are not that close to give you the address! lol
its not sand, its kinda very small gravels, guess made of silica, their diameter is about 1 millimeter. and I have heard that they are used in sand blasting ( cleaning of the outer walls of big structures by blasting the sand. )

If they are Jelly bean parrots, they can breed by themselves.
yeah jellybeans are not infertile.
they are both females, maybe I get a male jellybean or a male pink convict later.

angelcakes
08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
:hmm3grin2orange:
thanks blu.........i like the pictures