PDA

View Full Version : New Chat Function

William
03-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I have added a new chat function to "all" forums.

You can now chat in all threads. New posts made by other people will automatically pop up on your screen without any need to reload the page. This means that you can keep a thread open and chat with one or more people in it. The thread will check for new posts every 3 seconds and if anyone posted something new it will automatically appear on your screen. Everything posted becomes regular posts and can be viewed at a later time just like any other post you make.

The chat function has a 3 second delay at the moment. This delay might be increased or decreases to optimize prestanda as the times goes by. I chose to set it to 3 seconds to keep a near real time chat feeling while still reducing the server load considerable compared to if there was no delay.

A low number of forums are excempted from this feature including the competition and thoughts and suggestions forum.

Hope you all will enjoy being able to cmmunicate with eachother faster and with more ease.
report any problems you may experince to me.

I am not sure if this feature will work on all mobile devices but I think it should.

Sandz
03-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Now is this why we see "Live" next to all of these?

Cliff
03-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a fun feature

William
03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
You should no longer see live every where. I removed it due to it being ugly. BUt yes that was why you saw those Live texts every where.

William
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Cliff. It is a more advanced version of the feature you and the other mods helped me test some time back and it works in the same way.

William
03-06-2013, 10:28 PM
You are also available to click the
"Click "Reload" to fetch new posts without leaving the page. " button to check for new posts without having to reload the page. This is a lot quicker than reloading the page and can save a lot of hassel on slow connections. To manually click works in all forums.

Sandz
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Just an fyi I still see all the lives.

William
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
okay. Well that is a cache issue and they will disapear when your computer clears it cache. Most likley they will disapear if you click reload in your browser on a forum page.

I can say this for sure because the pic has been deleted from the server ;-)

MandyK
03-06-2013, 10:53 PM
That is awesome! :)

Sandz
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Great thanks!

mommy1
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
This new feature is not letting me read the first 11 posts of this thread http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=109875 it keeps refreshing and the first 11 disappear. I have my posts set to 40 per page and this thread currently has 30 posts so they should all be on one page for me, but after 3 seconds it refreshes and the beginning, which is what I have previously read disappears.

Strider199
03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
I clicked on your link mommy1 and a new window opened with post #1 showing angles. Your going right to post #11 is weird.

mommy1
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
It starts at post #1 then in 3 seconds posts #1-11 disappear. It is happening on a few threads, but not all of them.

William
03-07-2013, 12:52 AM
That is due to the function trimming older post from the pages to prevent clutter. The number posts can quickly go up while chatting. I have increased the maximum posts showed on one page to 50. That will be the maximum number of posts that can be displayed on one page.

mommy1
03-07-2013, 01:16 AM
That seems to have taken care of the problem.

mermaidwannabe
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I've noticed since these changes were made that when I type in a new thread or reply window, I'm always typing faster than it takes the text to appear in the window. It lags a bit behind. Previously, the characters appeared the moment I struck them on the keyboard. Something seems a bit out of synch. Also, when I backspace, it seems to take forever, for the same reason. This is the only forum on which I find this happening, and it began only after the new format came into being. If I type several words rapidly in succession, it can take up to a full second before they appear in the window. It feels like my cursor is just limping along.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

--mermaid

William
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
I will have to look into that but the changes made should not be able to affect that. The letters are put into the window locally on your computer. It is only after you press send it starts interacting with the changes server side. I will look into and see if there might be any setting on the server or in your browser that might be causing it. DO you mind telling me which browser you are using. Also what is your connection speed and how much ram does your computer have.

fishmommie
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi William.
Curious as to why as of 12:53 pm central time, there's only 1 post listed in the new posts section. Generally there's a page full. Does this have something to do with the latest changes and if so, where can I go to get a list of the most recent posts?
Thanks!

ijankrom
03-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I do not see anything different in the forums, do I need to log out and back in again to see the changes? I've refreshed the screens but still nothing.

William
03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Curious as to why as of 12:53 pm central time, there's only 1 post listed in the new posts section.

This latest change should not effect that. The two fucntions do not interact with eachother in such a way to disturb eachother.

I do not see anything different in the forums, do I need to log out and back in again to see the changes? I've refreshed the screens but still nothing.

There is no visable change. The change is just related to how the forum works. After the changes. If you are browsing a thread any new post made while you are reading are added to the page automatically without the need to reload. If you reply in a thread the post shows up directly (within 3 sec) on the screen of anyone that is browsing that thread. this makes it possible to message, chat directly in the threads with minimal delays and without the need to ever reload a page. I hope that makes it more clear.

If no one posts while you are reading a thread or if you are alone in browsing that thread you will not notice any difference.

korith
03-08-2013, 10:02 PM
At first when I saw the topic of the post I was happy that a chat lounge was put in, then read the post :(

mermaidwannabe
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I will have to look into that but the changes made should not be able to affect that. The letters are put into the window locally on your computer. It is only after you press send it starts interacting with the changes server side. I will look into and see if there might be any setting on the server or in your browser that might be causing it. DO you mind telling me which browser you are using. Also what is your connection speed and how much ram does your computer have.

I'm sending you a PM with that information.

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Hi William.
Curious as to why as of 12:53 pm central time, there's only 1 post listed in the new posts section. Generally there's a page full. Does this have something to do with the latest changes and if so, where can I go to get a list of the most recent posts?
Thanks!

You mean this message?

Sorry, there are no new posts to view.
You may search for posts updated during the previous 24 hours, here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/search.php?do=getdaily)?

Same message I get every time I come here. I click on the "here" and then get this message: This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between searches. Please try again in 3 seconds.

I spend more time reading messages than I do posts.