PDA

View Full Version : api or seachem root tabs?

genocidex
03-01-2013, 03:35 AM
i NEED to get some iron in for my Alternanthera Reineckii Lilaciana. they are doing ok w/o any ferts in the soil but i think they can use some iron to make them come to their full color. i see api has more iron but not much else, seachem has less iron but more nutrients. also seachem has a better rep... something else i was thinking of dosing was iron in the water column too, but im not sure how well they would use the iron. also my other plants could do with some root tabs but not so much in the iron....

im leaning to the seachem and possible iron in the column....

Cliff
03-01-2013, 03:56 AM
I have used seachem root tabs for my vals and I did notice a difference. I have never tried the API tabs

mizzoutank
03-01-2013, 04:59 AM
I've used the seachem's with success as well.
I found the api's dissolved way to fast for me.

if you are specific to iron right now, have you explored any dry ferts to put in "caps" that are specific to iron? i know they make something like that here:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquaFertz_com_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_SYSTEM_p/fert.htm

genocidex
03-01-2013, 05:42 AM
Well some of my other plants could probably use some extra nutrients but iron is specific to those plants because i know they are lacking in it due to them having green topped leaves. When theres enought light and iron the entire plant goes red it looks soo good with all the green with it.

Till i get a better feal for the plants / nutrients/light/co2 balance im going all otc products that should be just standard. Also im using eco complete with flourite (seachems planted substrate) so i think it will hold the nutrients well. I was thinking of trying my way with some osmocote diy pill ferts or the clay ball method.... But i wana see how root tabs would work first so i have a bench mark on how well they work and if they cause algae

korith
03-01-2013, 06:39 AM
I used to buy whichever table was cheaper. At the moment I am using diy osmocote plus capsules, got them from someone on plantedtank.net . They give me the best price per capsule. Instead of buying prepared liquid fertilizers from pet stores, I buy fertilizers in powder form online that are much cheaper. Also give me the option of modifying how much of a certain ingredient I want to add to suit the needs of the tank.

The longer I stay in this hobby, the more I'm learning of cheaper methods to do things. The cost savings really do add up.

mommy1
03-01-2013, 01:44 PM
If you can wait a few days for shipping I recommend these ferts. I have had good results from them and they are much cheaper. http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquaFertz_com_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_SYSTEM_p/fert.htm

mermaidwannabe
03-02-2013, 01:38 AM
I've been using the API root tabs plus iron, and my plants seem to do well with them. Haven't tried the Seachem, but may look into them if they supply more nutrients. My main concern is copper. The API tabs are supposed to be non-copper and thus far my copper test kit has borne that out.

I might consider alternating the two brands for better balance.

genocidex
03-02-2013, 03:34 AM
If you can wait a few days for shipping I recommend these ferts. I have had good results from them and they are much cheaper. http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquaFertz_com_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_SYSTEM_p/fert.htm

do i really need that applicator to use these ferts? for some reason i cant see spending 15$ on what looks like a piece of small tubing... also how is their shipping costs?

i do have time, in 3 weeks im moving so i will not fert till after that lol.

mommy1
03-02-2013, 03:43 AM
No, they are just like the root tabs from API and Seachem, just stick them in the gravel like you would the other brands. It's been a while since I ordered them, but I don't remember the shipping to be that bad. They are still cheaper than buying the other brands, even with the shipping. I get the trace and total, there are 75 pellets for $10.99 + shipping, same for the iron.

genocidex
03-02-2013, 03:59 AM
ok that makes sense. i might end up doing something like that. i think i have some petsmart gift cards laying around so i might end up with api/seachem till after those are gone lol

talldutchie
03-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Root tabs are a good idea for general feeding. If I was seeing iron defficiencies I'd go for a liquid supplement. Seachem makes a good one.