PDA

View Full Version : AquaPlus and Iron Supplement

A340
10-24-2007, 06:48 AM
So, some of my plants have been becoming somewhat yellowish/brown and turning clear (the leaves). From what I understand, this is a classic result of iron defeceincey. I haven't done my Fe tests this week, but will do so on Saturday.

Assuming that this is the problem, I have purchased an Fe supplement and it was recommended to me to also buy a bottle of AquaPlus conditioner. The LFS employee (who is quite knowledgable in things aquatic), said that you should pour the AquaPlus in at the same time as the Fe supplement as it helps to chelate (bond) the iron.

Anyone heard of this or tried it? Or am I going to be the guinea pig and try the experiment? ;)

CAF
10-25-2007, 04:03 PM
What brand of Iron suppliment did you purchase? If it is SeaChem I believe it is already chelated.... I would look up the product and see what sort of reviews you find.

Incredulous_Ed
10-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I would go with the flourish iron supplement.

Algenco
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

8oz (Powder) $9
Rex ships to Canada

A340
10-26-2007, 07:07 AM
What brand of Iron suppliment did you purchase? If it is SeaChem I believe it is already chelated.... I would look up the product and see what sort of reviews you find.

Yeah, I got the Seachem. If it's alrady chelated or not I'm not sure, there is no info on their website or on the bottle. I guess a bit more research is in order ... :19:

To be honest, I haven't tested for Fe in quite a while, so I guess that would be a good place to start ... lol!

I would go with the flourish iron supplement.
Which is Seachem, correct? I have both Flourish and the extra Fe supplement and bought the extra bottle of AquaPlus, just in case she's right. I haven't added any in yet, just the Flourish itself, and it hasn't helped.

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

8oz (Powder) $9
Rex ships to Canada
Never heard of that. That's what I love about this website, you learn lots about new and different products. Will def look into it, thanks!

Thanks for your input guys, if you have anymore advice, just shoot it my way. I will be more than grateful! :thumb:

Sasquatch
10-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd be very surprised if the Iron (and all other metals) in your supplement weren't chelated. Check the ingredients for something like EDTA or NTA, that's the chelator.

But to be honest, if your metals weren't chelated, they'd probably all be settled in the bottom of the bottle. The only way to keep metals in solution without chelators is to drop the pH really low (like 3-4).

That being said, there's nothing wrong with adding Aquaplus. You can't over-chelate and the Aquaplus removes chlorines, other nasty metals in your water and reduces stress.