PDA

View Full Version : 55g community tank

luke-ns
02-26-2013, 12:02 AM
hello there, im in the middle of setting up a new 55g community tank and iv just completed my fishless cycle for 3 weeks.
im hoping to have a planted tank with nice peaceful fish. The question in hand is what fish should i stock it with? open to all suggestions.
cheers.

mizzoutank
02-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Question 1:
Are you open to shipping fish?
If not, take a stroll at your LFS and list what is available so we can give suggestions off that

luke-ns
02-26-2013, 01:05 AM
i have 3 LFS and they all have a huge selection esp when you combine them together, i would like schooling fish maybe but not too small as to limit what other fish can go with.. im thinking rams, barbs, neons maybe hatchets at the top and br or corys at the bottom? Its more the amount of fish i should put in the school and i want a few schools witout over stocking it?
asking a lot i know lol.

mizzoutank
02-26-2013, 01:39 AM
A few schools will be tough. 55g is a good amount of space, but you'll be amazed at what one massive school could look like.

10 cory's at the bottom
1 Bn pleco.
3 bolivian rams (as they are much hardier than the other species with the same personality)
20 neons
10 of your favorite tetra (but no barbs. they don't mix well with others...generally keep those as entire barb tanks)

ideally, it'd be great as a neon tank and just use them as a massive school. if you remove the other tetra #, i think with proper filtration and pwc, you can pull off 40neons.

talldutchie
02-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Yeah.. but if OP lives in an area where he has liquid rock on tap he's going to see serious losses in this group. Also I really would not recommend cories without knowing what's on the tank bottom.

Amelia
02-26-2013, 05:39 AM
I really like Mizzou's stocking suggestion. I would suggest Harlequin Rasbora if you want to go with a second group of mid-top water schoolers. I have them and they are beautiful. I would probably vote Cardinals instead of Neons too.

As an alternative to cories, I might suggest 10 Dwarf Chain Loaches. They are more expensive than cories but totally worth the extra price. I have 8 and they dash all around the tank in a little group, sometimes romping around the bottom and sometimes schooling out in the open with my tetras for short periods of time. They are ALWAYS on the move and add a small burst of activity to my otherwise very slow and placid community tank. I have owned cories in the past as my go-to bottom-dweller but I would never own them again after my Dwarf Chains. They are one of the few fish which actually "play", and you will never have to worry about having a snail problem with your chains on the case. Easily my favourite community fish.

So I suggest:
10 Dwarf Chain Loaches
1 BN pleco.
3 bolivian rams
20 Cardinals
10 Harlequin Rasbora

Of course, as dutchie has pointed out, this stocking is dependent on the OPs pH.

luke-ns
02-26-2013, 10:02 AM
i can range my ph anything from 6.5 to 7.2 depending on which tap i use, upstairs more acidic as its not mains water or downstairs which is mains and is 7.0/7.2 then water is treated obv.

As for substrate i have gravel currently but if sand is better i also have sand that i had in the tank before the gravel still.

luke-ns
02-26-2013, 10:07 AM
i love both the idea from mizzoutank and ameliaaahx the only problem i don't know a lot about Dwarf Chain Loaches so id have to do a little research as for cardinals over neon's, look similar but cardinals are slightly bigger? does this mean less in a school? i like the idea of corrys, however my brother has 4 corrys and they breed like crazy so i dont fancy a tank over run with them if that seems fair lol. Keep your opinions coming :)
cheers.

Amelia
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki

Some info on Dwarf Chains. You can also google them yourself. I'm sure you're capable of doing some of your own research.

Yes cardinals are a little bigger than neons, and they also have more red. 15 would be good.

Cories don't usually breed that much... are you sure you're not thinking of mollies, platys or guppies?

luke-ns
02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info :)
cardinals seem a good choice then, i might even go for a pure barbs tank, i like tiger barbs but iv had them before and they're awful nippy with other fish.
defo cories as they laid eggs and were bottom dwellers, not exactly easily mixed up with mollies and such lol
dwarf chains dont seem that easy to come across as iv never seen them before in my LFS's i may have to look online for some :)

Amelia
02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Cherry Barbs are a nice barb you could have in a community. You could swap them out for the Harlequins.

Otherwise, a large all-barb tank sounds great. You could have 10 Tigers, 10 Golds and 10 Greens. I'm not 100% sure so don't quote my on this but I think you could keep a single Red Tailed Black Shark with the barbs, it should be able to take care of itself. That or a Cichlid of some kind, like a Convict or a Sajica cichlid to add a little personality to the tanks. Most cichlids make good wet-pets are there are lots out there which would work in a 55g with a large school of Tigers.

luke-ns
02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
I have finally decided what I'm gonna do thanks to you guys help, I'm going for a schooled approach with cardinals and rummy nose with cories on the bottom and plenty of live plants.

i want to max my tank out because i don't mind having to clean it out on a regular basis, and as far as i know i cant see these fish having a huge bioload even in big schools. the question is how many of each should i get?

cardinals =
rummy nose=
cories=

cheers.

Triton
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd vote the following

Cardinals: 15
Rummy Nose: 15
Cories: 8 look into sterbai (awesome fish)

I have 5 otos in my tank and they are great - I'd say start with 8 expecting to lose a few

I'd also say that once the tank is established, if you have plenty of hiding places that a pair of apistos or rams would be great, they would also keep fry #s down

If you go that route I'd say use a good plant substrate (i use turface) and put 4 coconut caves in so that the plants can grow around them - my cories and apistos love them and they are cheap too

luke-ns
02-27-2013, 06:11 PM
tank is around 8 months old and is ready for the fish to be added, was used for my lutino red oscar and he is now moved into a 75g so my 55g is empty (fish wise) running a 300g internal filter and a 300g external with uv bulb so i think my filtration is good? i was also thinking 12-15 of each.

i see you have java fern in your planted tanks and was wondering..when you buy them ( in little 2x2 inch plots) do they spread or do you have to buy lots to cover the bottom of your tank?

steeler58
02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
I have finally decided what I'm gonna do thanks to you guys help, I'm going for a schooled approach with cardinals and rummy nose with cories on the bottom and plenty of live plants.

i want to max my tank out because i don't mind having to clean it out on a regular basis, and as far as i know i cant see these fish having a huge bioload even in big schools. the question is how many of each should i get?

cardinals =
rummy nose=
cories=

cheers.

Great choices by the way. With their small bio-load and the size of your tank I would get 25 Cardinals, 20 Rummy noses and 8-10 cories of your choice.

Two big schools of the same species will look great.

Amelia
02-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Just me, but I would add a single Angelfish to that tank. thumbs2: Would look stunning with all those tetras and add a little personality to the tank. Angels are really quite personable fish, I love my Koi.

But that aside, I'd go --

- 20 Cardinals
- 20 Rummy-nose
- 10 Cories -- I vote Pandas, or Adolfoi's Cories if you wanna splash out for something really nice. :1luvu:

steeler58
02-28-2013, 05:31 AM
+1 to Amelia's suggestion of Adolfoi's cories. They are a little pricey and hard to find but well worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD3U_pmoFOA&feature=player_detailpage

Skunk and Metae cories are also interesting and a nice change from Bronze, Spotted and the albino hybreds of them.