PDA

View Full Version : mandarin fish

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 03:34 AM
i was considering getting one for my 55g, but dr. foster and smiths site labeled them as difficult to care for. any specific reasons?

Rue
10-24-2007, 03:52 AM
They, for the most part, only eat live 'pods...and to produce enough live 'pods to keep them fat and healthy is far beyound most small tanks...you need a well set-up 100g or better to keep one well-fed.

Some people manage to house them in smaller tanks if they have very good refugia set ups.

Most however starve to death...but it takes a long time and many people don't associate themselves with the fish starving...royally ticks me off.

NOW...having said all that...some will take frozen food without issue...and some can be trained to take frozen food. Should you luck out and find one that will do so, only then can you safely try one in a 55g or smaller.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 04:21 AM
i think the reef store i always go to here feeds frozen food. if the one at the store is on frozen food, i'll get one, if not i dont want it to starve.

thanks for the info!

unleashed
10-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Please do not get a mandarin unless you have heaps of LR AND your tank has been set up for at least 6 months (less if you have a refugium)

They get all of their nutrition from live microfauna (collectively called pods) and even if they eat prepared foods, they will still starve. This is becuase prepared foods (even mysis) do not have the right nutritional value for a mandarin

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 04:54 AM
i will wait another month to get one, so the tank is established. by next week the 55g will have 70lbs LR. i also have a refugium going

Drumachine09
10-24-2007, 04:54 AM
I just wouldn't do it.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 04:56 AM
i just called the LFS and theres have been on frozen food for quite a while, so in a month i'll go for it

EDIT- UGH, im gonna shoot my TV. discovery channel had "the pacific abyss" on for about the 100th time this week.

the little bit i did pay attention to was on mandarin fish, and i guess too many die in aquariums from improper food

A340
10-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Real shame that they are such picky eaters, they are by far one of the most gorgeous fish one could keep. The book I have on Nano Reefs discourages acquiring one, especially in a nano tank. If you do get one though, I wish you the best of luck with him/her.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
thanks!

i'll wait until i get the 35lbs more LR established and ready to go. the only other fish besides i mandarin im planning on are a firefish (today), and a coral beauty angel (some time next week)