PDA

View Full Version : what are peoples view an neon tetras?

mitcore
10-24-2007, 02:41 AM
i am getting about 10 neons for my tank tonight
i am unsure on how they act
are they agressive?
i currently have other breeds of tetras in that tank eg glowlights,head and tail lights,red eye etc there are just too many to name
will they be ok in there?
i have always liked the look of the neons

any advice and thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2007, 02:51 AM
I love neons. Went to town today to get some but for the 3 week in a row, none was delivered today. Went to the dreaded WalMart just to see if they had some and they were the smallest neons I've ever seen. I wonder if the neons and the jumbo neons are the same thing.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 02:53 AM
they just nip long finned fish, else theyre great. my neons, serpaes, glowlights, and black neons all school together

mitcore
10-24-2007, 02:54 AM
not sure
i have liked the look of them as well

what a shame you couldnt get any lady

i am paying $1.50 each which is a great price
it was very hard to say no to that LOL

so i am getting them

MeganL3985
10-24-2007, 02:55 AM
I have 6 neons, they are very playful. Some mistake it for aggresiveness, but its not. They are not "nipping" at each other, just kind of like a "tag" game (as i've heard it discribed). One thing I would recommend to people though... (not that you have this problem) but I would not put them in a tank smaller than a 10 gal. I have mine in my 5 gallon hex and there is just not enough room for their active personality. I didnt realize this until recently when I thought about putting them in the 29 gallon. I thought to myself "Why buy 6 new schooling fish, when I've already got some. And they're cooped up in a 5 gal". So yeah, I love these little guys. Very active and pretty.

mitcore
10-24-2007, 02:55 AM
they just nip long finned fish, else theyre great. my neons, serpaes, glowlights, and black neons all school together

do they fin nip on all fish
i have a male betta in that tank
should i be concerned

mitcore
10-24-2007, 02:56 AM
thanks megan
and yep they are going in to a big tank

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2007, 02:57 AM
I have never had a neon nip. They're so small they generally stay out of everyone way.

cocoa_pleco
10-24-2007, 03:00 AM
they may nip the betta, but i cant be sure. they may not though.

ive found that mainly larger tetras nip the most

mitcore
10-24-2007, 03:00 AM
what a relief i thought my poor betta was in for a rough run

MeganL3985
10-24-2007, 03:11 AM
They have a betta in a neon tank at walmart, thats been in there for months. His fins are nice, long, flowy and beautiful :) There are mannnnnny neons in that tank too...so I dont think you'd have any problems. I'd just monitor it.

mitcore
10-24-2007, 03:12 AM
thanks megan
i was starting to worry