PDA

View Full Version : Java Moss Question

Cliff
02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I am trying some java moss in my tank for the first time. I do believe I have the lighting and water parameters in line for this stuff to grow. After tying to some drift wood and rocks I have some left over java moss to place somewhere in the tank. I thought I would look at some tank pics to see what others have done with Java moss to give me some ideas. That is when I found the below videos about making a Java moss wall.

I was wondering if anyone here has tried this before and what they thought of it ? The info I found on-line makes it sound like it will work very well, but I am a little more interested in some first hand experiance.

RyAIYTH67BI

fYH6sVEdmPI&NR=1

talldutchie
02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
So ridiculously simple, why didn't I think of that?

Should work, I would use mesh a bit bigger than that though. It will need manucuring a bit otherwise you'll end up with a large sheet of moss that tries to climb out of the mesh.

Cliff
02-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks, I just might give it a go if I can find a screen today

talldutchie
02-23-2013, 02:47 PM
When I did some experimenting with riccia I got one of those bath scrubbing things, excellent material! http://wijnands.blogspot.nl/2012/06/tying-riccia-first-attempt.html

Cliff
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Interesting approach, thank for posting that link.

That could work better for attaching moss to drift wood as well, depending on the size and shape of the wood.

Aeonflame
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Ive done this with java moss but phoenix or christmas moss is much more attractive imo.

Cliff
02-23-2013, 04:20 PM
I just looked up pic of those mosses Aeonflame, and I see what you mean

I think I might just wait until I can find one of those to use on a moss wall and just attach the rest of the java moss that I have to some more driftwood and some rocks

talldutchie
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Ive done this with java moss but phoenix or christmas moss is much more attractive imo.

Problem with those mosses is that in some parts of the world they're either difficult to find, expensive or both.

korith
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
I've seen posts mention using it on other forums or perhaps even on this one. One worry I always had was I think the side that doesn't light will probably slowly rot and cause it to come off. Had large bunches of java moss in tanks, and it seems like the part that gets left at the bottom or in the dark slowly turns brown like mush.

You can probably use that plastic mesh sold in sheets at walmart for a few bucks. Sold in the craft or sewing section at walmart. Can be used as tank dividers too in small 10 or 20g tanks.

I've only been keeping java moss in my shrimp tanks. Used to have it in my 10g, 20g, and 40g but it drove me nuts having to pick the small bits of java moss that break off then attach itself to anything and everything in the tank.

Cliff
02-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I found a new plant supplier (I know a guy who knows a guy) so I might have a good shot at finding some of the more harder to find ones. At least that's my theory for now

Thanks Korith, I will also look into that as well. I guess I need to be concerned about the "dark side" as well. Just Kindding, I will look into that in all seriousness