PDA

View Full Version : Do mom shrimp die after giving birth?

Loller
02-18-2013, 10:29 PM
The only shrimp I have had die recently were females with barely any eggs left... (Most with none) No males have died. Water conditions are right, everyone is fine... Someone please help /:

ddavis1979
02-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Shrimp typically do not die after eggs are hatched, however, if there are any other stresses in the tank, the stress of pregnancy can leave any animal in a weakened state.

Loller
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
I just said there was no stress... It was kinda big. So was it possibly its last cycle? All of its eggs are gone...

Cliff
02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
This might help as well

http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

Loller
02-20-2013, 02:14 AM
Turns out it didn't die... It was somehow badly injured... The other mom just had babies as well and it is fine. The ones that died a week ago died due to not enough hardness. Is there an injury risk when moms have babies? Kinda want to know.

KevinVA
02-20-2013, 02:45 AM
I just said there was no stress... It was kinda big. So was it possibly its last cycle? All of its eggs are gone...

No you didn't. You said the water conditions are right. What does that mean? Then, below you said your water wasn't hard enough, so you had shrimp deaths. What is it? Are your params correct or not?

Then, in another thread, you mentioned having a BN Pleco in your tank with your shrimp... which could cause stress.

Cliff
02-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Have you read through the link I posted yet ?

korith
02-20-2013, 03:29 AM
No they do not die after giving birth. That link others have posted is to worth a quick read. The shrimp if it is having issues with stress may sometimes drop the eggs and stop carrying them. The death may be cause of many reasons other critters in the tank, water conditions or it may have just been it's time to go.