PDA

View Full Version : Enough hiding areas for baby shrimp?

Loller
02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm soon gonna add in 5 crystal shrimp with my red cherries and red nosed shrimp and I need to make sure this is enough hiding area for all baby shrimp. 27707
Would an extra java moss be necessary? I won't be using this tank as a breeding one forever, once the cherries and red nosed hatch around 20 babies, ill most likely move the breeders into a 20g. Same when I get my crystals. By the way, 2 out of 4 red nosed have eggs and 3-5 out of like 20 cherries have eggs. They will hatch very soon, some already have.

Loller
02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh, yay, one of the red nosed has like 1/10 eggs as it originally did. She's almost done, so someone please tell me. :D

Jayoneseven
02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Looks great, I love the driftwood

Goes to 11!
02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Is there other stock that will snack on them? It totally depends on what they are hiding from.
:22:

Loller
02-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Thanks, I have a small bristle nose and am waiting to surprise-catch him. They are hard to get... I am going to soon purchase 5 crystal shrimp for like $50 then breed them to get my money back. But no, every shrimp is friendly, if I'm not mistaken. My red nosed and cherries get along very well, even with 20 to 4. Everyone's breeding so there will be ALOT soon. Then I will make a 20 gallon for mass breeding. Also, do I need more java mass or should they manage?

KevinVA
02-20-2013, 02:41 AM
You have a BN pleco in that tank right there? How big is the tank? It looks like 5gal.

Loller
02-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I have already removed him. It is 8 gallons btw.

Strider199
02-23-2013, 12:39 AM
An 8 gallon tank with live moss and plants can house alot of shrimp, 50 to 75 of varying stages. Make sure the filter intake has a pre filter or some clean nylon over it so the little ones wont be sucked into it. Java moss is great for shrimp. I started with a small amount which cost more then it should at the lfs and under the lights it grew to the point where I had to prune it every other month because it took over the tank. Moss, driftwood, and light with clean water will give you a whole bunch of shrimp and fun. Remember that the same species of shrimp can breed with each other which will cause the off spring to go back to a brownish colour. I found that out when I introduced yellow shrimp into a cherry shrimp tank. The colours wash out when one of each breeds. The off spring go back to brownish. Have fun and you have a nice looking shrimp tank.

Loller
02-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Ok thanks. I am going to soon get an assassin snail ( to kill other snails, then will remove to risk of it killing shrimp) and get about 5 crystals to breed in a month.

richberstler
02-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Strider said it perfectly. Java Moss and a "pre" filter on your filter intake. I actually use cut off fingers to dollar store cotton gloves, but anything smaller than the fry is good (I use a LFS rubber band to keep it on the intake). I wouldn't worry about the Assassin Snails in regards to your shrimp.

Sandz
02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
If your goal is to breed shrimp to make your money back, I would not include them in a tank with another strain. There is no way of telling your quality or purity of the line and the LFS worth its salt will ask or know that. Over time, the fish will become *to use a harry potter refrence* mudbloods. Look for Jacko's shrimp set up in the aquarium journals if you really want to look into breeding shrimp. Hes a great ref.

Loller
02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Not include assassins? So basicly, I'm just supposed to let unwanted snails double every day? I'm not too worried about assassins myself, I'll just remove them once they run out of snails to eat.

KevinVA
02-24-2013, 04:38 PM
No, your fine with the assassins. Get a couple and clear your tank of nuisance snails. Get 'em out, when they're done (if you want). Might be difficult to find them all, though. If you leave 'em in, just make sure you feed them pellets.

Lady Hobbs
02-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Previous posters are totally correct. You do not mix species of shrimp for breeding purposes. Breeders actually will get one kind then add some new stock periodically so they are not interbreeding constantly with their own relatives. You will need a sponge filter or a pre-filter on your filter if it's a hang on the back or the shrimp will get sucked up. One species in an 8 gallon is more than enough.

Just a newbie tip here but you will get more attention to your posts if you put them in the correct catagories such as shrimp in the shrimp forum, snails in the snail forum, etc. Helps keep things tidy when all topics are not mixed up.

Loller
02-26-2013, 04:41 AM
I got 2 of them. Along with 2 pretty microfish for $5 each. Sorry @Lady Hobbs for that. Won't happen again. Also, I'm not using this as a breeding tank, more for the look, but I still want them to breed. (Which both species have eggs)When I am going to start a breeding tank, I'll use a 20 or 30 gallon with 1 species. ( most likely crs or rcs )

KevinVA
02-26-2013, 05:24 AM
How many shrimp are you intending to breed? You could easily fit 75+ rcs/crs in a 10 or 15gal, comfortably.

richberstler
02-26-2013, 05:39 AM
I've always been curious what happens when species interbreed. Not so exciting I suppose if they are all red lol. I've contemplated keeping different colors together as an experiment, but it would likely not ever turn out the way i expected haha!

Strider199
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
If two different colour shrimps are of the same species and inter breed the off spring would likely become less colourful. Example, rcs breed with yellow cherry shrimp, babies start going back to a dull brown colour as they are in the wild.

Loller
03-03-2013, 03:47 AM
Agh these snails are as annoying as hell! Not even the assassins do good. Every day I remove about 5 to get it to where assassins can control the numbers though. I never thought snails would be such annoying part of shrimp tanks when I got into this. Well, all the shrimp have bred and the babies have enough hiding areas. I'll upload the remodel of the tank if you want.

KevinVA
03-03-2013, 04:20 PM
When did you add your Assassins? It takes a while for them to get acclimated and get the hang of the tank. They'll probably hide in the substrate for a few days at first. You'll eventually notice some empty shells here and there, but you'll most-likely rarely see an Assassin go for the kill. A lot of times they lie in wait for their prey to move within striking distance. Then they give chase.

Loller
03-03-2013, 11:59 PM
There are a lot of snails in my largest plant and the assassins are in there like 50% of the time. I noticed a dead one yesterday in the open area so I now know they are getting the job done. It does GREAT in my 6 gallon though, and I have just one. I added them a week ago from now.