PDA

View Full Version : 3 Cichlids, 1 Cichlid Newbie

Munko
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
* Please note, wasn't sure where to best post this as I don't know much about the origins of these cichlids*

Hi, last night I came across an add on the net selling a 25gal aquarium stocked with three cichlids, for a mere 90$. I snapped up the deal because the fish were beautiful (albeit ginormous). The gent and his wife who sold the tank to me seem to have an amazing knowledge of fishkeeping, and had been in the hobby for seven years. The cichlids are: one Johanni, One electric yellow (I think), and one beautiful brown cichlid with fins that taper off into white. They have always been housed together, and are three years old. No disease has ever ravaged the tank. The tank is minmalist, with a stack of limestone in the middle providing ample hiding spots (but these fish are *huge*). The fish seem healthy, happy, and have good colour and absolutely zero sign of distress or disease. Two questions:

1) I am assuming that because they appear so happy and healthy, the tank is adequate enough to house them?
2) How careful do I have to be when re-stacking the limestone that it doesn't touch the walls of the tank? Is there any chance of the tank bursting through weight if they are touching?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

ps) I had tried to post this this morning, but my computer went wonky - so I hope this isn't old news....

CAF
10-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear your computer went wonky on you, but it happens.

In response to your questions

1. The tank's size is sufficent for the number of fish you have currently have assuming they are the average four to five inches apeice. You could actually add another if you so wished, however I would recommend against it as these know each other and I assume their aggression towards one another is limited.

2. You can stack the limestone however you wish, however be careful not to scratch the tank or drop the rock against the side or bottom of the tank as this may cause it to crack and/or leak.

Fishguy2727
10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
It can touch the glass with no problems. The only problems are impacts. If the stack falls and hits the glass just right it can break it. The only other issue is the bottom, but you usually only have to worry about that if you have a lot of rock. The best thing for the bottom is putting in egg crate under the substrate, right against the glass.